TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How much did this sell for? 1953 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
eddiemoney Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:37 am

Quote: 1953 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe - SOLD!!!
Ser no. 20 051794. 100% original. 95% complete.
This bus was purchased new in Germany and imported to Canada in the mid fifties by the original owner. I purchased the bus from the original owner's estate auction in 2003. The bus runs and drives but is not road worthy. All parts are original and matching except for the motor and air cleaner. It is a 36 hp that I believe was a Canadian dealer install, as it has no ser. # on the pedastal. The seats are all original and the middle 6 leg is in exceptional condition. The headlights, horn and semafores also still work. Included with this bus is 4 N.O.S. Turnpike standard tires and the crankstart handle. There are a lot of rust issues on the body and underneath. The front doors need to be replaced and I will include a pair of later doors with purchase. They would need to have the old handle indents grafted into them. The middle seat clamps, kick panels, grab bar, wheel trim rings, and rear bumper trim are missing. I had earlier in this ad that the ignition switch was missing but have since found it along with two keys. Also one rear reflector is incorrect. If you have any questions or request more pictures, please email me. I live in Winnipeg, MB, which is in Central Canada and am within 20 minutes of an international airport. I am not interested in any trades. Thanks.

hmmmmm?

malik Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:08 pm

I know it was for sale for 35k. don't think he got that......how much do you think it's worth considering what barndoors are going for now a days?

paneldave Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:05 am

believed to be coming across the water ukside!! figures right?

Skim Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:07 am

malik wrote: I know it was for sale for 35k. don't think he got that......how much do you think it's worth considering what barndoors are going for now a days?

Hell that sounds fair to me if all the interior was still in it

RockStock Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:40 am

i like this bus, cos it really looks like it wasnt swr/cb from new

thats not a snowflake kick panel on the cab door is it?

& it has a kick panel on the long side interior panel...og? i guess not
cargo mats look odd
whats the gossip on it coming to the UK, 54barndoordave??!

vdubinit Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:45 am

malik wrote: I know it was for sale for 35k. don't think he got that......how much do you think it's worth considering what barndoors are going for now a days?

it probably went for too much :oops:

eh0s Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:24 pm

[quote="vdubinit"] malik wrote: it probably went for too much :oops:

Gonna have to disagree. He was almost ready to sell for 25K Canadian.

I'm pretty sure someone got a decent 'deal.'

Mikee Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:32 pm

If you saw the underside, the bus was really rusty, basically the whole underside needed replacement

malik Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:01 pm

I've looked at the pictures too. There is a good amount of rust but nothing that can't be replaced. From what I understand this bus came out of the factory single color which I would think makes it even more rare than most. Also believed to be the 17th oldest known 23 window barndoor. Even for 25k canadian seems worth it.

RockStock Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:15 am

malik wrote: Also believed to be the 17th oldest known 23 window barndoor
i make it at least 23rd!

Slowlow Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:51 pm

I remember looking at that ad for that bus daily...... DAMN that bitch could be sick! :shock:

malik Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:51 pm

this bus went up for auction back in 2003 and I know some of you bus people up in Canada have seen this in person. what did you think it should have sold for? from what I understand the bus is not going to UK.

kintail Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:44 am

23rd oldest.... single color.....

Nuf said.....

RockStock Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:17 am

scott, can you say which country its going too?

kintail Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:09 am

No idea..........Sorry 8)

malik Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:58 pm

Kintail, weren't you at the auction back in '03? you have seen this bus in person. what do think this bus is worth? how bad was the rust? Didn't you buy the other barndoor that day..

Mango Juice Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:14 pm

The old owner told me it is coming to the U.S.A :D ....he said it is a well known Vw enthusiast and the new owner does not want his name or the purchase price disclosed :lol:

I guess for now it is top secret classified information 8)

UZI Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:20 pm

Mango Juice wrote: The old owner told me it is coming to the U.S.A :D ....he said it is a well known Vw enthusiast and the new owner does not want his name or the purchase price disclosed :lol:

I guess for now it is top secret classified information 8)

would it happen to be that persons 20th barndoor? if so, that person not wanting the publicity is just a thinly veiled act. not wanting the purchase price disclosed is all about flipping it for chingos of cash.

kintail Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:40 pm

Rust didn't scare three of us bidding on it and the best bid won in 2003.

Again 23rd Deluxe, rare OG beige, it runs at least (OK brakes need work), and most all rare parts are there.

Given the rapid rise in BD values for whatever reason, whatever the deal between buyer/seller it has sold for what it is worth....based on past forum response this is somewhere between $20,000 - $35,000.

And then you throw in Gerson's new BD panels that weren't around in 2003 ....... Still work, but bonus I'm thinking.

So since you keep asking, one has to ask.....

1) Do you have one you are selling and trying to determine value? If so, pics?

2) Or are you buying and trying to justify $35,000 on another similar deal?

Just curious.... :)

EverettB Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:45 pm

I don't know the details but based on what was posted in the past, I'd be surprised if it went for much more than $20K US.