TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Saggy Butt
[email protected] Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:52 am

How do I do a lift on a Saggy Back End. LOL
Its not really saggy, but just a slight bit lower than the front end. Is there an easy fix for this.

ChrisM181 Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:06 am

Thers only one way to fix this, the right way, which would be to re-camber your rear suspention. You need to remove your spring plates and back them down a tooth or two. Every Thing owner should own a Bently type 1 manuel becuase it will help you out in a lot of situations! It will show you what to do.
I made a secret weapon for doing this, I took a VW jack and welded a bolt on the end of it, it helps you get the spring plates back up over the stops!!

ChrisM181 Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:07 am

There is only - opps

[email protected] Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:30 pm

Well, 1st of all, exersize and put the cookies down. Quit eating all that junk food!!!! J/K. Just do what i did to my 74 Thing, drop the front end with bug arms and spindles, problem solved.

ChrisM181 Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:02 pm

Thats about the worst advice I could think of!!!
Weaken your front suspention to compensate for a sagging rear suspension, why on earth would somebody want to do that?

TimGud Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:37 am

It's a valid option but unless you want a lowered thing the rear should be brought back up by reindexing. Here is a link that explains how to do just that,it is for a 70 bug, but the adjustments are done the same way on your thing,at the least this will give you a good idea how to do it.http://www.geocities.com/aussiebug1970/rearaxle.html Good luck.

[email protected] Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:16 pm

Sorry Chris181, have a sense of humor for pete's sake and put the cookies down. No, really, just do like Tim G. said and re-index the rear end, but be carefull, u really need to know what your doing, if not, u could loose a finger in not more. Those spindles are under a tremendous amounts of tension. I'd take it to a VW shop, but to each his own. Good luck and lets us know how u do it.

edgy Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:27 am

This month in 181 magazine, there is an article on doing just what you have asked.

[email protected] Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:46 am

181 Magazine. ??? Have yet to see that!!
Send me a copy!!

[email protected] Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:47 am

Oh and I like the cookies, they are just too hard to put down, especially if you Got Milk!!

TimGud Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:29 pm

Or Oreos!

keifernet Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:38 pm

saggy butt's make me want to toss my cookie's... :D

TimGud Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:00 pm

Ya,and when the front drops things don't get any better looking.

[email protected] Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:36 am

What about putting coilover shocks on the back? I head they can lift the suspension 1-2 inches.

keifernet Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:42 pm

Yeah coil overs will do that, and KYB whites too... but the point is those are just band-aids, best to reset the torsion bars porperly if you can or as soon as you can...