View original topic: Dilema: to sell or not to sell???
[email protected] Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:47 am

Hey fellow Thing owners. I find myself in a dilema here, and just wanted to see what you all would do, if you were in my shoes.

I live on the east coast, and have a fairly nice '73 Thing. She's all stock, and I've poured about $12G into her so far. Some very minor body work (replacing lower portions or outer rockers), and a fresh coat of paint will put her in show condition.

My dilema is that my wife and I may be moving to the west coast in about 6 months or so (job-related move). It's no secret that west coast VWs are generally less expensive and in better shape than their east coast counterparts.

So, part of me is thinking: forget the bodywork and paint, sell the Thing here, and pick up another one once we're out west. I could probably get a decent price for it here, and possibly get a better one out west.

The other part of me is thinking: just finish what I started, get the bodywork and paint set, and bring it out west with us. The company should probably pay for us to relocate, so shipping cost shouldn't be a factor. This'll be the 3rd time this particular car will be flatbedding it cross-country, BTW!

Anyway, what would you do? I certainly appreciate the advice.

bljones Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:24 am

To me, it's like buying a house- you see two houses for sale in a neighbourhood, similar floor plans, but one has had new kitchen cupboards, carpet and paint... but it is $30,000 more than the other one, which hasn't been redecorated in a while. However, you decide the redecorated house is a better deal, as it is already done...and then you spend another $30,000 redecorating it to your taste anyway!
You already own a Thing- you know what you have done to it, what needs to be done, and then it is finished, personalized, and all yours. You might be able to find a better car out west... but you will still likely paint it, and add all of the goodies, upgrades and mods that make the vehicle "yours" In the end, you will likely (at best) break even. if it doesn't cost you anything to ship yours, then i would do it, and keep it.

rollin900 Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:01 pm

I just bought my rusted out piece for 1500, and even if i moved to alaska, i would not sell it for less than 10k. I love that car. Its mine all mine.

hope this helped

fretless Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:06 am

Bljones..well said...unless yours is a total golf balled rust bucket..It's not as easy as you think it is finding a decent Thing here in California that hasn't been molested by tweekers ..5 years ago. I looked for many months before finding the right Thing for me and it still needed a lot of work. Thing and parts prices have gone way up over the last 5 years can find late bugs and buses for little money though.. Yes Things are more common out here, just within 6 miles of my home there are 5 Things about,that I know of ..good luck on your move..

[email protected] Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:55 am

Thanks for the thoughts & advice. I was leaning towards keeping it and shipping it out there with me. I think the part that really convinced me is that I know what I've done to it already, and I know what needs to be done - sort of "the devil you know vs. the devil you don't" conundrum. Besides, there are fewer and fewer Things out there these days. This one's close to becoming a stock show car, and I'd hate to see it go to someone who won't put the same effot into it as me.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group