TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Today in Ghia hunting history... Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Redlabel6 Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:46 pm

hmm, love the Jeeps too!
d

theastronaut Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:19 am

Forgot to post this one earlier... Who bought this one posted on Facebook marketplace on the 19th near Columbia SC? I saw it and replied soon after it was posted but got the "I'll let you know if the guy coming to look at it this afternoon doesn't buy it" message.

jeffrey8164 Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Volkswagen-Karmann-Ghia-/323426512854

I'm torn about this one.
It looks really cool and I really like it.
I'm just sad it got cut up.

hemifalcon Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:47 pm

Can anyone help to ID what year this lowlight is? Thanks in advance-she’s deep in the woods of Wisconsin.. my guess is early ‘56??

aerosilver Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:50 pm

The number (8104) on the Karmann karosserie plate puts it at August/September '56.

Nice find, Lizard green, needs a little love..

EverettB Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:00 pm

hemifalcon wrote:

I want to know what sort of weird radio that is...

Also the weird button on the steering column.

Looks like they grip-taped the steering wheel too, someone had clammy hands. :)

John Moxon Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:09 am

EverettB wrote: hemifalcon wrote:

I want to know what sort of weird radio that is...

Also the weird button on the steering column.

Looks like they grip-taped the steering wheel too, someone had clammy hands. :)

Don't know what the radio is but the button will be a fix for the horn. Although the horn is simple to fix correctly lots of people don't/didn't realise the feed to the horn button is a ground and not a live feed.

c21darrel Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:30 am

Hey John, What is the antique stove knob under the radio? :wink:

John Moxon Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:40 am

c21darrel wrote: Hey John, What is the antique stove knob under the radio? :wink:

Probably the Nitrous Oxide boost switch...I have one on my '58... :lol:

hemifalcon Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:59 am

c21darrel wrote: Hey John, What is the antique stove knob under the radio? :wink:

I’ll get a better look in a couple weeks when I’m NOT being consumed by mosquitos..

EverettB Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:39 pm

I could be wrong but I figured that was part of the radio, maybe a rear speaker fader, as I've seen those on some old radio installs.

kman Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:10 am

WHOA. Don't strip the bondo off and leave it outside.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/541409469636524

Buggy Brian Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:02 pm

So...
I just picked up this 1972 today. All original paint, nearly rust free. The only rust I've found is in the passenger door (along the window sill, about 2" long and less than half an inch tall) a dime size hole in the passenger floor pan, and a bit (about a baseball size hole) under the battery.

The entire car is original, with the carpet missing, and questionable front seats (not sure if they're original). Original AC system is all there, but extremely likely that it's not working (belt is off, and car hasn't run in 25 years). No accidents at all, as nose and rear are pretty much perfect.

Engine and tins are all original, but I haven't even attempted to start it, but it does rotate by hand. Lots of old oil pasted to the underside of the engine, but I plan on going through it completely.

Can't wait to get it home (working out of state right now), and get it back on the road.

I hate to be that guy that asks what it's worth, but I am trying to validate that I didn't spend too much, so I'd love your thoughts. It's on the east coast, if that matters. I'm mainly into fiberglass Manx buggies, but couldn't pass on this one, as the entire thing seem extremely solid, heater channels and all.

Been sitting for 25 years, so I'm sure the brakes will need complete replacement/rebuild, but that's easy.

Can't wait to get started!!

c21darrel Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:54 am

Congrats on your find, pretty cool with all the A/C equipment. I would hesitate about the original paint as there is overspray all over the engine tarboards and color fade front to back. Hey, the original paint may still be there underneath. :) I dont think the "161" M code is typical. Engine code is usually 157?

Buggy Brian Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:54 pm

c21darrel wrote: Congrats on your find, pretty cool with all the A/C equipment. I would hesitate about the original paint as there is overspray all over the engine tarboards and color fade front to back. Hey, the original paint may still be there underneath. :) I dont think the "161" M code is typical. Engine code is usually 157?

Thanks for pointing that out. I obviously overlooked it. The tar paper does indeed have some overspray, but the color fade is just due to flash effects. It's the same color front to rear. Obviously not original. I haven't looked at the 157/161 though, and am definitely not up on Ghia's, but I can say it's very solid, and that's the best part for me.

d-rick Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:31 pm

Found his gem a few weeks ago here in Missouri. Dug it out and hauled it home along with a '58 bus.
VIN is 1902065..which I understand to be a DEC of '58 make so that would be a '59 model?
I've had lot's of VW's but never a ghia..sure is something..

sputnick60 Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:07 am

d-rick wrote: Found his gem a few weeks ago here in Missouri.
That looks like a big commitment but it will be well worth it. Please start a thread and share your progress. We are all interested in your sucess.
Nicholas

John Moxon Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:18 am

d-rick wrote: Found his gem a few weeks ago here in Missouri. Dug it out and hauled it home along with a '58 bus.
VIN is 1902065..which I understand to be a DEC of '58 make so that would be a '59 model?
I've had lot's of VW's but never a ghia..sure is something..

At this stage of Ghia genetics a Dec '58 is a '58. It's a contentious point but most will tell you "model years" never arrived until around 1964. Changes in spec were drip-fed into the early Ghia timeline so changes go strictly by vin number.

Good luck. :)

d-rick Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:30 am

OK..sounds good to me...then I found a '58 ghia and a '58 bus..works for me.

Have no idea what I'll do with it other than clean it out and make it roll..which I have already done... Just look at its beauty for now I guess😆

John Moxon Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:52 am

d-rick wrote: OK..sounds good to me...then I found a '58 ghia and a '58 bus..works for me.

Have no idea what I'll do with it other than clean it out and make it roll..which I have already done... Just look at its beauty for now I guess😆

Bit of reading too from the Stickies: Ghia Restoration Topics – For Instruction and Inspiration.