TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Brakes??
REXER Fri May 16, 2003 11:16 pm

I just picked up a '74 KG Coupe- My problem is that the brakes are locked up on all four wheels. This is my first real resto project, so I need a little guidance as to where I should start. Do I need to go and disassemble the discs and drums?? or are there other ways of first attacking the problem. The guy who i bought it from said they were fine when he first got the car, but after over 10 years of sitting in a barn, the brakes locked up. Thanks for your replies

Aussiebug Sun May 18, 2003 10:41 pm

You should be able to lever the discs back into the calipers with a larger screw driver (might be hard if they have "stuck" to the discs though), and then the discs should spin OK (if the wheel bearings are OK). The discs may be too badly rusted to machine down, where the pads stuck.

For the rear drums, first release the hand brake and remove the balance bar across the hand brake lever to make sure the brake cables are fully released.

Then crawl under the car and loosen the star adjusters all the way in.

Then grab a brass mallet, or a hammer and hard wood block and hit the drums firmly (but not TOO hard) all the way around the lining/rubbing area.

Hopefully this will loosen any rust holding the shoes on the drums and allow them to retract.

Sometimes heat will help too.

Brake lining material is slightly hygroscopic (aborbs water) and after years of non use they will swell slightly and grab the drum, then rust in place.

If all else fails you might have to cut through the drums with an angle grinder...the drums (if rusted badly) might need replacing anyway.

Always replace old shoes and disc pads - they may not be reliable after all this time and especially if they have "rusted on".

Rob
Rob and Dave's aircooled VW pages
Repairs and maintenance for the home mechanic
http://www.geocities.com/aussiebug1970/

Air-Cooled Head Mon May 19, 2003 1:14 pm

And also plan on replacing all rubber lines (hopefully not the hard lines too), before you try driving.

keifernet Mon May 19, 2003 2:49 pm

If your just wanting to get it to roll so yo can take it home or to a shop, then do what Rob suggests and or whatever it takes to get things free.
After 10 long years I wouldn't hesitate to trash everything. even if you bought all new/ replacment stuff you'd probably only spend 500 bucks... brakes are a major system, gotta have them, can't take chances kind thing...

REXER Thu May 22, 2003 12:46 am

thanks alot fellas