TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: ghia moulding and tarboard
sebastian_stillman@hotmai Thu May 22, 2003 2:11 pm

I have a 68 ghia -auto stick. It was repainted white before i bought it. The pait is nice and it shines. But when i was removing water from spare tire area one day, I noticed the original color dark green. I want to make it green again! I wanted to put more chrome on the car besides the handles and the bumpers and "raingutters" Some of the forums here talk about how difficult it is. I want to restore it to its original color and pimp it out with as much chrome as possible.
I am more interested in where to get a set of original (notpimpride) mouldings as well as the tar board for the engine. Finding the moulding holes can be a chore but with a solid repaint, I think everything will be dope. I also want to know where to get chrome window trim for back window. And i have porsche fuchs, but will tire clearance be better with "brms" - or empi rims. I will rather trade for some brms than have the porshce rims. Any respone will be appreciated. mahalo-

Air-Cooled Head Thu May 22, 2003 2:24 pm

KGPR (www.karmannghia.com) is the first place to look for KG stuff. They are top notch, knowledgable folks who also provide good customer service. (An unfortunate rarity!)

You can also try MT MFG (http://www.mtmfg.com/kghia.shtml)

Putting the side trim on is not overly difficult, but very tedious. The American trim on the windows is a true bi-otch. Your thumbs will ache for weeks! And the door & window stuff will have you cussing!

And if you loose Porsche wheels, let me know. Just don't do 8 spokes as you'll have the same clearance issues. I've not had BRMs, so I don't know about them.

Anyway, good luck w/ your project and keep us posted of your progress.

Air-Cooled Head Thu May 22, 2003 2:24 pm

Pretty sure KGPR has the tarboard.

sebastian_stillman@hotmai Thu May 22, 2003 11:21 pm

Aloha! thanks for the response. I got to try that web site out. I am totally thinking aobut a restore with just a decent engine job. I remmeber something about a brochure from KGPR... gotta find it now. I am thinking about pulling the engine and cleaning it up a little and send the body to a shop.
-the front fender with turn signal is bent in
-the clock don t work
-the horn dont work
-each piece of the bumper has a dent or a hole... Can a shop "fix" all minor dents and stuff????
-rust bubbles (not blisters) few bubbles here and there and here

I am looking to pull the engine, send the body to a shop, get them all the chrome and window gaskets --with chrome-- and pimp it all out. I am seriously thinking about doing it myself, but for sure I want to have the dent done professionally.

I do need center caps for the porche rims....