TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Replacing Convertible Support Rails Explained Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Daverham Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:23 am

After digging around the web a bit more, I believe I've found that the tube would contain the wiring harness. Odd to me, since a hardtop car doesn't even have that support rail... so I don't know why the wiring harness wouldn't just go in the same place as it does on the hardtops... unless it goes through the roof maybe!

far rider Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Wire harness ran thru it.

jeffff Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:07 pm

Would it be possible to just replace the support rails (weld them to the bottom of the channel) without seperating the body? Assuming of course the heater channels aren't rusty as well...unlikely but you never know haha.

The picture above makes it look like the support rails are not only welded but attached, in a groove.

Temo Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:59 pm

I'm replacing the heater channels on a '72 SB convertible.

Do you recommend that keep the doors?

If my pillars are rusted away, doesn't that mess up the proper fitting of the door?

Is there a measurement that I can go by?

Thanks.

buntist Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:16 pm

Has anyone found reinforcement rails with a bulge in the front on the passenger side? This is where the wire harness runs.
WW just told me theirs doesn’t have one.

esde Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:39 pm

SOoooo,
I'm getting ready to install new floor pans, heater channels, and support rails on a 65 beetle. The original parts were pretty well rotted away, so not much evidence on how things were originally. I currently have the Klassic Fab channels bolted to the Wolfsburg West rails and floor pans to make sure the holes all line up. I assume the factory had the rails welded to the heater channels, can anyone comment on the number of welds and spacing? It feels like drilling the rails so I can plug weld would be the right way, but for all I know Karmann just stitch welded the edges. Any help is appreciated.
SD

esde Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:41 pm

Rather than add to this post, which seems to be mostly questions and pictures with dead links, I've started a new thread on the 65 convertible I'm fixing. Pictures and descriptions are here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=776759