TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Car Show Feaux Pas
Karly Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:18 am

Am I the only one who's blown away at what liberties people take with your vehicles at car shows? I started showing my restored SingleCab last year and am amazed at how many people touch, poke and prod my truck! My Dad began taking me to auto shows and I was taught at a very early age not to touch the cars! I've seen people do everything from open and slam shut my doors to clueless parents plopping their little kids on top of my truck bed. Then there was the joker who was picking at my slighty torn engine/apron gasket, not to mention the guy with the dripping ice cream cone...

Sorry, just venting - I guess this should be in the rants forum.

teetime Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:22 am

So I'm working at my golf course (www.teetimefamilygolf.com) and I have my 72 'vert parked in front, on an angle, so as to "hint" to people to certainly look, but please do not touch. I glace at the lot, and there is a guy putting his 2 year old daughter IN my car, his huge wife is leaning on the door, and his 10 yr old son is sitting on a running board. He wants a picture!! So I grab a golf club and head out there to find out what the mental defect is, and his response is "Hey, it's only a car!!" My response: Yea, but it's MY car!! So he gets really huffy and tears out of the lot in his chevy cavalier. My first reaction was that I should crack him upside the head, but I'm glad I didn't. He was so close to the car he would have bled all over it! The general lack of respect for other peoples property is rampant in todays America.

Salty D Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:07 am

It has happened to my cars as well.

I had a guy shut all the doors and his GF tried to lean/ damn near lay on my hood for a pict. I told him to get his hooker off my car, and if he wanted to be able to walk away, I suggest him do it right this moment....

he decided that was the smart thing to do.

79SuperVert Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:04 pm

I have yet to park my car out of my sight. I have had luck with car shows so far in that everyone looks but doesn't touch. But then again I haven't gone to a non-VW show so maybe it's different there.