TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159
dieseltdi Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:12 am

Did you use the stock bolts and nuts to mount the wheels?

bogle Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:41 pm

jerryherb: Thanks for posting on the Pacer 60683B steel rims! Sounds like the affordable wheel I've been waiting for for our '87 syncro westfalia. I am still running OE steel with Hankooks. Look forward to more news, and would really appreciate a photo of one installed!

Have you tried one in your spare tire compartment? 6.5" might squeeze in?

Anyone think this would not work for any reason on a syncro?

jerryherb Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:58 pm

i used the stock STEEL wheel nuts and aftermarket (14x1.5 - 33 mm shank) 10.9 bolts for the front with the 8mm spacer. stock bolts are fine if no spacer is used. unfortunately modern bolts are 17mm where original VW are 19mm wrench size so two wheel wrenches will be needed from now on in case of a flat. when i say steel wheel nuts/bolts i mean acorn/round tip, not cone.

regarding the spare, no it will not fit the new wheel fully inflated at this time, missing by about 2 inches. i have not tried deflating, nor replacing the stock mounting spring that holds the spare cover pan and tire in place with screws/nylocs. next step would be vancafe extended/lower spare carrier. i never tried putting my alloy rim in there (6") so not sure if the carrier is made to fit only a 14x5.5" as in original steel rim. ill play around with it some more once other work is completed

i'll post pics once i complete all the work. still have the van on the stands while working on CV replacement.

I also got a set of chrome pacer caps (113SD) for under $20 on ebay which were about 1mm larger than pacer rim bore so enlarged the holes slightly (mostly powdercoat and a bit of steel) to make them fit. the rim hole was supposed to be 67mm, caps 2.65" so go figure. they go over the hubs with ease and look shiny :)

btw the rims are made in the US, the caps - china.

maco70 Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi to all,

I have an opportunity to buy Ronal R9 15x7 ET35 for my vanagon 2WD.

Would it fit direct, or should I put a 5 mm spacer on the front?

Regards,

jerryherb Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:52 am

16" Pacers/w caps w/ Nokian C-line on my AC westy. installed 5mm spacers on front and rear just in case, no rubbing, they appear to fit perfectly. had to enlarge the center holes slightly to fit the caps in (about 1mm)

bogle Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks jerryherb for the photos and this 16"x6.5" steel option!

I inquired via ebay to tire_nation about their specs for "(4) Pacer 60683B FWD BLACK MOD 16X6.5 5X105/5X112 67.00 Hub +41 Black Wheel Rim"
I asked:
What is the load rating for each wheel?
What is the weight of each wheel?

And here's what I got back from their Customer Service Team:
"Thank you for your email inquiry. Unfortunately, we don't have the load rating nor weight of this wheel at this time. We are currently working hard on obtaining information from our vendors. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us."

crazyvwvanman Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:42 pm

They are not light wheels. Close to 30 lbs IIRC.

The load rating I have seen for them is 1500 lbs.

Mark

jerryherb Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:57 pm

these are quite hefty. shipping weight was 35lbs each including the box. the material appears thicker than stock vw steel wheels

unitedracing Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:04 am

jerryherb, those look great! Thanks for the info. They look similar to the syncro 16 wheels. Are the syncro 16s even available anymore?

bogle Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:56 am

Is this Tiguan wheel suitable for an '87 Syncro Westfalia? I found some that have already had center bore modification to 66.7mm. It is 16x6.5 ET33.
I cannot find load rating, and don't know what other issue may be lurking.

Christopher Schimke Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:50 pm

For those Tiguan wheels above, you will need to go one of a few ways.

1) Machine the centers of the wheels to 66.56mm and bolt them onto the stock studs with new small ball seat lug nuts.

2) Grind the lip down on the front hubs to clear the wheels and bolt them onto the stock studs with new small ball seat lug nuts.

3) Install 5mm spacers along with new (longer) studs and small ball seat lug nuts.

The center caps will fit on the front, but not the rear, even with the correct thickness spacers in place.

bogle Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:19 pm

Christopher Schimke wrote: For those Tiguan wheels above, you will need to go one of a few ways.

1) Machine the centers of the wheels to 66.56mm and bolt them onto the stock studs with new small ball seat lug nuts.

2) Grind the lip down on the front hubs to clear the wheels and bolt them onto the stock studs with new small ball seat lug nuts.

3) Install 5mm spacers along with new (longer) studs and small ball seat lug nuts.

The center caps will fit on the front, but not the rear, even with the correct thickness spacers in place.

Thanks. I appreciate you listing all the options to get this style wheel on a syncro (and all the information you have offered on this great thread.)

You have any information on the load rating of this style of Tiguan alloy?