TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: ? for type 3 owners...
[email protected] Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:30 am

I've built a few Ghias and Bugs in the past, but I'm new to the type 3 and have some questions. If I buy a late model squareback will the early fenders, bumpers fit on it? Are there any parts that are impossible to find like the Ghia? Will a set of late model 17" Porsche alloys fit without any major clearance problems? Thanks for your patients as I'm new here and any other insight would be appreciated as well.

Thanks...

[email protected] Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:53 am

The bumpers will fit, the fenders will not, but don't buy a late model. Strangely enough, it is easier to find parts for the early cars (to a point) and the late models are pretty ugly no matter how much you try to fix them up, in my opinion(oh no, I hope I didn't start a thread in the rants and raves with wannabe gangster guys bashing on me!). As far as clearance for wheels, the 17s will fit but not if you plan to lower it much. hope this helps

chillz1 Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:40 am

Yes, the earlier bumpers will fit, but as lemonheads has stated, the front fenders will not. As far as the "beauty" issue goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The later type 3's often had more refinements than the earlier models. Although, rust free fenders for a 1970-up are getting harder and harder to find. If you want your car to have an earler look, why not just wait and buy an earlier model? As for this... "(oh no, I hope I didn't start a thread in the rants and raves with wannabe gangster guys bashing on me!).", I don't care for that remark. I frequent the R&R forum and have contributed my share of venom, but in no way do I liken myself to a "wannabe gangster guy". As this is not the R&R forum, your comment really had no place here, other than to be purely inflamatory. I guess you got your wish. Peace.

[email protected] Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:59 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I going to wait for a early, but just want to know what will interchange.