TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: SO-44 Westfalia curtains Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Type2meister Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:37 pm

After reading the recent thread on SO-23 curtains and not wanting to 'hijack' I thought I'd post here and check...

Can anybody verify that ALL SO-44 and/or European ordered SO-42's came with yellow/brown plaid curtains? My SO-44 has the light yellow ones but I have a feeling they are not original as the curtain on the rear hatch is too wide a bunches up a lot. Do these look like the original fabric?

I wish I could see a promotional photo or brochure of an SO-44, but there does not appear to be any for some strange reason.

Here is an original SO-44 on Vintagebus:
[/list]

campingbox Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:55 pm

Didn't the US versions come with tan bed cushins and the euro ones come with the orange plaid fabric? I bet the curtains differed as well.

cris torlasco Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:48 pm

Susan's 66 Dormobile has OG yellow curtains, so yours might be original Paul.

Cris

campingbox Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:36 pm

Susans had the orange plaid too.....which in my opinion would look funny against the brown/orange cherckerboard.

Dallas Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:54 pm

howdo
my so44 came with yellow curtains. always assumed that were OG

Type2meister Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:49 pm

campingbox wrote: Susans had the orange plaid too.....which in my opinion would look funny against the brown/orange cherckerboard.

Yes for sure...like my wife tells me, "never mix plaids"

dallas wrote: howdo
my so44 came with yellow curtains. always assumed that were OG
I would love to see some pictures of your bus...could you post some? Especially a '63 sub-hatch SO-44, I thought all SO-44/42's were only '65-'67??

Dallas Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:20 pm

My Aug. 63 sub hatch has the so44 kit out of my 66 bus that is waiting restoration. I do not know what kit the sub hatch had originally. My kit is complete exept for the cabinet in the rear (head banger)

Type2meister Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:36 pm

Dallas wrote: My Aug. 63 sub hatch has the so44 kit out of my 66 bus that is waiting restoration. I do not know what kit the sub hatch had originally. My kit is complete exept for the cabinet in the rear (head banger)

ah so, that makes sense then, thanks!
Thanks for your information on the curtains as well.

crofty Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:50 pm

campingbox wrote: Didn't the US versions come with tan bed cushins and the euro ones come with the orange plaid fabric? I bet the curtains differed as well.

I didn't think they were imported into the US.

Type2meister Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:09 am

crofty wrote: campingbox wrote: Didn't the US versions come with tan bed cushins and the euro ones come with the orange plaid fabric? I bet the curtains differed as well.

I think Greg is referring to European SO-42's here...right Greg?
I made my question a little more vague when I tried to lump SO-44's and Euro SO-42's together.
Why the heck is there not literature on SO-44's? All that appears to exist is this crummy scan:

And looking at the image again, I don't know what the heck they have for upholstery or curtains....the door panels, seat material and floor look wrong too....argh...

bastardbus Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:46 am

Type2meister wrote: crofty wrote: campingbox wrote: Didn't the US versions come with tan bed cushins and the euro ones come with the orange plaid fabric? I bet the curtains differed as well.

I made my question a little more vague when I tried to lump SO-44's and Euro SO-42's together.
Why the heck is there not literature on SO-44's? All that appears to exist is this crummy scan:

And looking at the image again, I don't know what the heck they have for upholstery or curtains....the door panels, seat material and floor look wrong too....argh...

I have found that most westfalia brochures picture prototype and pre-production model buses. These buses contain some very strange items that though resemble, most of the time are not 100% accurate to what you see in the actual production buses that followed.

Clara Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:48 am

Type2meister wrote: my wife tells me, "never mix plaids"

I am sure she's right. ;)
I think the plaid curtains came with the mustard/solid colour cushions,
and the solid curtains went with the plaid cushions.

crofty Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:51 pm

Type2meister wrote: crofty wrote: campingbox wrote: Didn't the US versions come with tan bed cushins and the euro ones come with the orange plaid fabric? I bet the curtains differed as well.

A SO44 and SO42 are different model campers it doesn't matter where their delivered to.

A lot of brochures have incorrect info as stated above. For starters that shows a standard/deluxe door panel combo!

Gunter Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:03 pm

I have the original curtain that snaps to the roofline blocking the front area from the back on my SO 44 Dormobile. It has euro electrical outlets inside and out back. The curtain hangs right at the end of the SO 44 cabinet parallel to the spare tire area on a non walk thru, It has a cutout to go around the overhead rear vent in it. The curtain is the yellow brown plaid material. My bus is a 1966. I believe it is a euro version.

crofty Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:59 pm

Type2meister wrote:

Crazy "original" floor there too.

Type2meister Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:35 pm

crofty wrote: Type2meister wrote:

Crazy "original" floor there too.

OK, eagle eyes, I'm busted...but the Bass was a nice option back in the day!
PS you forgot the incorrect upholstery, gotcha!

Type2meister Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:37 pm

Gunter wrote: I have the original curtain that snaps to the roofline blocking the front area from the back on my SO 44 Dormobile. It has euro electrical outlets inside and out back. The curtain hangs right at the end of the SO 44 cabinet parallel to the spare tire area on a non walk thru, It has a cutout to go around the overhead rear vent in it. The curtain is the yellow brown plaid material. My bus is a 1966. I believe it is a euro version.

I would love to see some photos if you have any. Are your curtains covering the skylight windows in the Dormobile top brown/yellow plaid as well?

crofty Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:03 am

Type2meister wrote:

LOL, It's still a damn nice bus.

cris torlasco Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:11 am

crofty wrote: Type2meister wrote:

LOL, It's still a damn nice bus.

So SO44s didn't have spice racks??
Cris

Type2meister Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:49 am

No Cris, only the two little tables. It sure would be cool, but I guess they thought there was enough storage inside in one of the closets or cupboards.