TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Velorex?
53 0val Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:15 am

Unless they were an aircraft company, you can't buy it Coad. You have enough weird cars already. Give your neighbors a break.

coad Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:18 am

53 0val wrote: Unless they were an aircraft company, you can't buy it Coad. You have enough weird cars already. Give your neighbors a break.

No, I don't need it, but it is kind of interesting. I mean, they were building it back in the 40's and to me it looks like a modern stock car frame with canvas instead of sheet metal over it. It was ahead of its time, and I bet it was a pretty safe car in a wreck.

Matt K. Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:02 am

It is interesting, the frame itself is a piece of art. I bet it would be a fun ride if everything worked properly.

KGCoupe Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:45 am

From the ad wrote: In the sea of cute but commonplace Isettas the Velorex stands out as a lesser-known but interesting and unusual microcar.

Ah yes, there is a veritable sea of those commonplace Isettas around here. :lol:

I was surprised to see that the seller is only a short distance from me. It would be cool to see one of those up close.

Chad1376 Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:17 am

Functionally, that car looks pretty cool and I'm sure it would be a kick to drive.

Aesthetically - It looks like an old shoe.

coad Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:32 am

Chad1376 wrote: Functionally, that car looks pretty cool and I'm sure it would be a kick to drive.

Aesthetically - It looks like an old shoe.

It does look a little better with the top up:

This dude seems to be a fan of them, he got inked with one:

homeboy's wearing camouflage underwear though. That might be a bad sign.

KGCoupe Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:37 am

coad wrote:
This dude seems to be a fan of them, he got inked with one:

He's just planning ahead.

When he passes on, his family has been instructed to cut out the pieces and assemble his memorial. :wink:

bljones Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:51 pm

velorex was primarily a side car manufacturer. since they built sidecars for seriously underpowered czech-market jawa motorcycles, they built light sidecars of canvas over tube frame, and later fiberglass. Their microcars were essentially built on the same assembly line as their sidecars.

Which brings us from microcars to sidecars to micro-sidecars. coad, you gotta get on the scooter sidehack bandwagon:

http://homepage1.nifty.com/hideto/Sidecar-100.htm