TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: taking the engine outta the square
roy Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:50 am

hello everybody, i'm hoping someone will be able to help me here...i am taking the engine out of my squareback for the first time, i've got all the normal connections undone (bolts, wiring...) but the engine will not scoot back far enough to clear the output shaft of the tranny, i haven't taken the muffler off but i didn't think i would need to just to get the engine out...is there something i am doing wrong...do i need to remove the muffler and some engine tin before it will come out...am i giving enough information...oh yeah, it's a '65 1500s with the original engine...please help, i need to drive my square again...

EverettB Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:06 am

It sounds like you did everything right. You don't have to remove the muffler, assuming it's the original muffler. You don't have to remove any engine tin either, other than maybe disconnecting the air cleaner.

Make sure you remove the big air intake boot.

I guess there is a small possibility that you are pulling the input shaft out of the tranny, you could stick your hand down in there and try and push the input shaft forward. Be careful not to crush your arm. If the shaft moves forward a lot, that is a bad thing.

roy Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:41 am

thanks everett, i am used to pulling the engine outta my bus...you know 15 minutes later i'm drinkin' a col' beer next to the engine so this is a new experience for me...
i'll give it another shot tonight and hopefully everything will go according to plan....

[email protected] Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:31 pm

Did you jack up the rear end of the car? Of course you did, that would be a stupid question. How are you supporting the engine? The best thing to do is put a hydrolic jack underneath it and raise it up just a bit so the transmission isn't bearing all the weight. I keep everything on my engine when ever I pull it out. I jack the car up in the rear enough so when I pull the engine off the shaft, the hydrolic jack is still supporting the engine, I then lower it and pull it out from underneath the car that I previously jacked up. The headers is what I use to get a good handle on when I yank it out. and if the jack head is centered right under the drain plug, it's pretty well balanced and shouldn't clunk to the floor, oh yeah, use a board or a piece of wood, having the jack head right againts the drain plate isn't good. I'm sure you already knew that..

roy Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:13 pm

yep, i got the engine out last night, it took a little more struggling than i'm used to and it didn't come out smoothly...i imagine after i take it out 3-4 times, i will be able to get a system down...thanks for the advice...