TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: South Africa Grille Install Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
thatvwbusguy Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Back on page one of the thread there is a link that will help you quite a bit with the basics of the install:

http://users.qadas.com/~kanas/Vehicles/Syncro/South_African_Grille_Procedure.html

The wires to the headlights are as follows:

Yellow - Low Beam +12V
White - High Beam +12V
Brown - Ground

On an '85 Vanagon, the headlight sockets for the main outer lenses are the same style that will be used for the SA Grill (H4/9003 style). You can reuse the stock connectors or splice in the ones that come with the kit.

For the inner high/driving beam lens, you will need to jumper the white high beam wire and a one of the brown grounds from the main socket over to the wires for the inner socket that came with the SA Grill kit.

There are several ways to do this, the quick, easy way is with a butt connector. Look for marine quality butt connectors with shrink wrap and internal adhesive for best results. The other common option would be to solder the wires and then shrink wrap them.

To make the jumper connections for the inner high beam lens, you want to cut the white wires from each main beam socket about 2-3 inches back from the socket and then strip back about 1/4"-5/16" of insulation from each end of the cut wire. Next twist the white wire that goes to the inner high beam lens onto the end of the original wire closest to the socket and insert both wires into the butt connector and crimp. Insert the remaining end of the original wire into the butt connector and crimp it. To finish the connection, heat the butt connector to shrink the outer insulation and activate the adhesive.

The resulting connection will look like this (I just used a standard butt connector for this mock-up, but it will look about the same)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/812958.jpg

Repeat this same type of connection for the brown ground wire and then duplicate for the other side of the van. After you do the first one it will seem easy.

It would be fairly straightforward to make a plug and play solution to the install of the headlight jumpers, but it would probably cost about $25.00 or so to put it together.

angler99 Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:31 pm

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I need and sounds straight forward.

angler99 Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:43 am

Does it matter which brown ground wire is used for the splice?

thatvwbusguy Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:01 pm

Doesn't matter which brown ground wire, they are all connected to the chassis.

angler99 Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks again. Got everything installed just in time for a canoe trip to Utah. Unfortunately, the starter went out in Grand Junction, CO. Had to rent a Uhaul van and trailer and get it back to where I live about 2.5 hours east. But the van looks awesome!

kayakbrian Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:13 pm

I appreciate all the info here - so just to ask one more naive question: What guage wire is used for that jumper on the inner lights? What do I ask for to be sure I am using the right stuff? I'm guessing it is pretty standard but is it possible to pick up something that might not be up to the job?

randywebb Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:08 pm

the gauge required is determined by the distance of the run and the amps

you can find a wiring chart if you search not on guage , but on gauge

xclemjustinx Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:23 pm

I just installed a sa grill on my 90 gl today. Everything went great except I have no high beams on the drivers side. Here is the breakdown. I installed the upgrade light kit from gw and relay as well as my sa grill today. Both driver and passenger low beams work perfect. When I go to pull the high beam lever, the passenger high beams work but the drivers side low beam still working and there is no high beam. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Skidub Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Have you tried a new or different high beam lamp in your driver's side high beam lens? Also, you might check the relay connections that you made on the high beam wires at the backside of the fuse block along with the harness wiring connections made to the light.

pomfritz Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:56 pm

This is the solution for 80% of my electrical issues, check the ground. Does the driver high have its own ground wire?

I installed the relays earlier and had a no light issues. Instead of trying t trace the bad ground to the inside tree, I made a new ground by the headlight bucket.

xclemjustinx Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:31 pm

The wiring to the headlights on both sides is exactly the same and I followed the instructions hat they provided. I will try a different bulb. I'll double check the wiring by the fuse box. But it would seem that it would be the wiring because the driver side high beam does not work as well as the low beam with I hit the high beam on the lever. Hmmm

Skidub Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:39 pm

I do recall that the relays' ground wires are to connect to the ground stars above fuse block. Like Promfritz said, check those. If you have a good ground on a clean ground spade, and the wiring / connections are good, and I f a different lamp doesn't work, it could maybe be a bad relay. Might also check the fuses for the headlights.

jacrider Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:35 pm

A quick test is to swap the bulbs for the highbeams. If you still have the passenger side working, and not the drivers, then you know the bulbs are working and it is in the wiring.

mrshrimp Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:25 am

I just installed my South African lights and love them. But wanted to see if there is a system for adjusting both the high/low beams. By adjusting i mean direction, specific for the vanagon height and width.

Thanks for the help.

Merian Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:02 pm

see the adjusting beams thread in the FAQ

or google daniel stern