TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: High volume/Low Air Spraying
OB Bus Sun May 18, 2003 6:45 am

I was getting ready to do a rattle can paint job on my '69. I know all the shortcomings but this fits my budget right now. I do not have a compressor and a spray rig.

A friend told me about this high volume/low air spray rig at Harbor Freight that he has used.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44677

Anyone used one of these on a car?

Thanks. Larry

ritchiet002 Sun May 18, 2003 10:07 am

Aloha, They carry them at Home Depot, so if it turns out to be crap you could aways return it. Also ANYTHING would be better than a rattle can job. I have had a company refinish our shower tub & stalls using what I believe was the same set up. They sprayed a two part epoxy and it looked good to me.I think the unit is run with a turbine instead of a compressor. There was little ,if any oversray in our bathroom ( no jokes pls.) Hey, you could use it and sell it after you were finished, that can't be done with a can. Aloha and good luck!PS they charged me $350 for the refinsh job, do one of those and the thing is paid for.

OB Bus Sun May 18, 2003 5:50 pm

I checked at the Depot, and theirs were $189. Ouch!

I'll keep considering, though.

Larry

RareAir Sun May 18, 2003 7:07 pm

HVLP guns is all that we are allowed to use here in California as the conventional guns have been banned for quite some time now. Grab one at your local paint supply shop for about $120-$250 from brands such as DeVilbiss. They not only save you money on materials, but it pays for itself in the long run.

[email protected] Sun May 18, 2003 9:30 pm

Dude if you are looking for a cheap gun find an yourself an "astro". You can usually find them on ebay for about $100.00 to $150.00 bucks. It's not the best gun out there but for a do it yourselfer it will work just fine. You want to look for a gravity feed, (cup on top) HVLP, with about a 1.5 tip. Any tip bigger than that and you are going to run your paint off on the ground. Do a couple test panels first and get a feel for your gun. The HVLP's spray way different than conventionals. Jer.

Tram Mon May 19, 2003 12:01 am

Better yet, you can go to a tool rental and rent a compressor and an air HVLP gun for a day. Rattlecans can get expensive, too! I've painted for years, and I'll NEVER go back to anything but HVLP. I use half the amount of paint, and I'm actually painting the CAR instead of the atmosphere, nasal passages, and lungs. HVLP doesn't even bother my asthma. Oh, yeah... Rent a BREATHER MASK, too. Other than that, what Jer said is right on.

OB Bus Mon May 19, 2003 9:02 am

Thanks to you all. I finally realize now that HVLP and my question about "high volume low pressure" discuss the same topic. And there are many threads on HVLP, as well as thorough discussions about paint. I will check out the rental yards. Then again, maybe this is my excuse to get a compressor????

Larry

Obsessed Mon May 19, 2003 4:00 pm

if you buy a compressor, make sure you get one big enough to supply the volume of air you need. the pressure is low, but the volume it uses isn't. I have a craftsman 6 horse, 30 gallon and it ran my gun just fine.

ritchiet002 Tue May 20, 2003 1:39 am

I thought Larry was asking about the HVLP all in one type unit, not a compressor driven HVLP gun. The home depot unit he talked about uses a turbine air source @ 5lbs. pressure & 58cfm if I remember correctly. It's the size of a small MIG welder. Has anyone used one of these?

OB Bus Tue May 20, 2003 6:25 am

Thanks - it is true that the self contained unit from Harbor Freight was the one that started my interest. I did find one old thread that was rather negetive about this unit. I would still like to find if anyone has used one on a car. Then again, the separate compressor would give me an excuse/reason to look at all those neat air tools!
Larry

carcentric Tue May 20, 2003 7:18 am

jerschopshoponewest.net said... (5/18/2003 at 9:30PM PST)
. . . You want to look for a gravity feed, (cup on top) . . .

Why? I have one and an old siphon shooter, too. Except for the siphon holding and full quart (fewer refills) and the gravity feed holding about half that, I can't tell any difference in using them. Oh, and you can't just set the gravity feed down anywhere - you have to hang them in their little (extra cost) stand.

Major Woody Tue May 20, 2003 8:51 am

I have used the turbine type (the good quality one not the Harbor Freight version) and it was wonderful to use.

ritchiet002 Tue May 20, 2003 9:00 am

What brand? & how much $$$$$$$

OB Bus Tue May 20, 2003 11:51 am

Thank you Maj. Woody:

Is it the Campbell/Hausfield (?) one at Depot? $189?? What type of paint(s) did you run with it?

Larry