TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rust
sfsixtysix Mon May 26, 2003 1:59 pm

I recently purchased a 66 sunroof and have discovered quite a bit of rust under the rear passenger side floor (battery). The entire area seems to be pretty flimsy there are no holes yet, but it can't be far off. What are my options? I'm really not looking for show quality on this car, but would like to make it a solid ride. Thanks for any input.

TimGud Mon May 26, 2003 7:06 pm

If you or a friend have a welder it's really not that hard to replace the floorpan. Price one at a VW parts house and you will find they are relatively cheap too.When you remove the old one it's pretty obvious how easy it is to do.
Good luck.

69T3Driver Mon May 26, 2003 9:47 pm

If it is Just the spot under the batterey and there ARE NO hole yet You are lucky. If you just want it to be a daily driver Weld in a piece of sheet metal.

rossmda Tue May 27, 2003 7:17 pm

do a floor pan replacement and if you have to, rent a welder. You do not have to take the body off to replace the floor pans, I can email you a few pics and trick on how to do this without a body off. As long as you have a free day on the weekend you should be able to replace the pan in about 6-8 hours from start to finish. I replaced my first pan in 4 hours, removing the old nad installing the new. Once the old is cut out, it is pretty easy to install the new. Drop me an email, and I will give you some pointers, in the last 5 months I have done 8 floor pans. [email protected]