TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wide five disc brakes for type 3 Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
flyinglow94 Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:05 pm

This is a story of my pain. :cry: So, my wife wanted wide five disc breaks on her 67 squareback. It starts off simple enough, just put adapters but you need a 5/16 spacer behind it so the adaptor can clear the caliper. After that bolt the (Rocket brand five spokes, these have about 7/16 less offset than the Eagle Alloys) five spokes up that also set the wheels out . When all is said and done the front wheels are set out just a little to far at the inner edge of the finder with the 185/55/15. The car, she also likes lowered 2 outer splines in the front and one outer spline in the rear.

So, I am now ready to take the car for a ride. Going down the street I hit a cupple small bumps and then a large one, I had not noticed before even in my lowered bug. Well, it ripped a good chunk off my side wall. :x When I got home I was livid at the damage it had done to the side wall of the new tires. I told my wife she needs to choose a new rim or have another solution in mind.

I started to think of her options rims or ? :idea: wide five Bug disc breaks. So, I made some calls to some good friends at Bill & Steves on the mesurements the bug disc break kit. My questions were do thay cause a change of offset when put on a stock beetle? And the bearings should be the same for the 67 as the beetle? Yes, the bearings are the same and no the offset is not changed. So I ordered them. Two days later thay were here, Empi disc break kit. It was quite an ordeal the brackets had to be fit in place of the original caliper mount that had to be cut off. After that modification and drilling and tapping for the grade 10-10mm bolts and making sure the caliper bracket had a 5/8 gap around the center ring of the caliper bracket, it was finally done, at least on one side. Both sides took me two days to install, I slotted the rotors in that time also. It brought the rims in appox. one inch on each side as I wanted and no rubbing at all...even when turning!!!! :D 8)

All in all I must say it stops way better than my 67 fastback, that I also put new slotted ATE rotors on and both cars have new master cylinders.
This job is not for the faint at heart, it is about a 9 on the scale of difficulty. So, take caution.

Pictures will be posted when my wife can get to them.

wolfman's brother Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:42 pm

csp makes a wide 5 disc kit specific for type 3,comes with EVERYTHING you need and no clearance issues.the only thing you need to know when calling in your order is what size spindle you have (early or late)so they can send the right bearings.

flyinglow94 Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:23 pm

Yes, I looked at the other disk kits but the type 3 kits had the stock off set and I wanted to bring the wheels in a little more because the 5 spoaks always set out a little further. And Im really not fond of compromising the front suspension of the car with a beam that was designed for a lighter car to get the same results. Also the bug,ghia and type 3's all had the same calipers and roters at that time.

jimmynotch Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:27 pm

The CSP kit is great... but for $1500 it better be. The Germans sure know how to engineer some good stuff, its just too bad they are so much money.

Erik G Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:23 am

please post pics. this is very cool, and looks like a cost effective way to do things. As original parts get more and more expensive, this may become a more viable option

Notched Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:03 am

I'm a little confused. Did you order a '67 Type 1 wide 5 kit?

Pics! Pics! Pics!

flyinglow94 Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:06 pm

Does anyone know how to add pictures and be able to view them without a link? I've been trying for awhile now to post them for you guys to see and I can't seem to get it to work. Help :!:

blankmange Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:10 pm

of course we can... where are your pictures?

Notched Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:24 pm

flyinglow94 wrote: Does anyone know how to add pictures and be able to view them without a link? I've been trying for awhile now to post them for you guys to see and I can't seem to get it to work. Help :!:

This should help you:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

flyinglow94 Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:30 pm

I just put them here... I was wanting to give some discriptions with each picture but I guess this is better than nothing. I will keep working at it... Thank you all...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/flyn_low94/detail?.dir=/4eebscd&.dnm=e39fscd.jpg&.src=ph

Notched Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:26 pm

I'd be a little leary on how accurate drilling of the holes were, but it looks pretty straight forward. Any binding? Any grabing of the brakes on one side?

What year of Type 1 Beetle was the brake kit for?

flyinglow94 Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:02 pm

empi 66-67 beetle disk brake kit was used. As for drilling the holes I clamped the caliper bracket in position and used a center punch then a center drill and finelly drilled for the 10mm 1.0 tap size. (my 10mm 1.0 tap had cracked while doing this so I had to locate another not easy at 9pm) I had also checked the spacing from the bearing seal edge to the inside edge of the caliper bracket with a 5/8 round rod.
I think my wife also posted pictures of 61-65 type 3 spindles that I did not use as it looked like I would have to drill a new lower mounting hole for the new caliper bracket.

flyinglow94 Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:11 pm

the brakes have no pulling, binding or draging . And I drive the car on my days off . It is hard to choose between that or the fastback even though the square is "the wifes" .

Notched Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:04 am

Very cool. I have been looking for a way to convert my 4 lug disk to 5 lug disk for a while.

Nice work! Thanks for the link to the pics!

Erik G Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:23 am

very nice, I'm impressed

DONGKG Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:28 am

flyinglow94 Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:04 am

The pictures are here...I still don't know how everyone puts the picture right on here.?.?.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/flyn_low94/detail?.dir=/4eebscd&.dnm=e39fscd.jpg&.src=ph

blankmange Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:05 am

flyinglow94 wrote: The pictures are here...I still don't know how everyone puts the picture right on here.?.?.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

flyinglow94 Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:50 am

Okay...so it took me a while to take the time to figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Wow...that's a lot of pictures...sorry...

Okay I know this isn't rocket science... LOL

Notched Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:53 am

Uh, you need to attend class again. :lol:

Add [img] before and [/img] after each URL listed.