TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Proof that value is in the eye of the beholder.
truckersmike Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:56 am

Check out this ad:

http://thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?photo+200209241539437397

Seller claims that this "professionally restored" bus is worth $16,000+ but he is going to sacrifice it for $7995. With cut wheel wells and wrong tail lights, this bus is sure to be hack job. I'll bet that is has a lot of aftermarket metal on it but hey, if you think it rocks, then go for it.

I admit that the paint and interior look nice but that's about it. Give me an original stock bullet panel any day.

chabanais Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:59 am

It is a nice Bus, but who would sell something for half its "worth" anyhow? Something is only worth what someone else will pay for it but this ad makes me suspicious.

79SuperVert Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:01 pm

Now if he had said it has been "appraised" at $16,000, I would wonder why he's selling it for $8. For starters I'd want to see the appraisal. But he only says it's "worth" $16,000. So sounds like a little marketing hype for the bus-deprived potential buyer.

fourboxers Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:19 pm

he probably put alot of money into the bus , and if you think about it to fix the wheel wells and taillights would set you back $1000-1200 bucks so a nice bus for around 9 isnt to bad.

nailbomb Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:02 pm

The thing is, you can put a lot of money into any piece of shit, and depending on how that money is spent, it very well could still be a piece of shit after the checks have cleared. I know a dude who has put maybe five grand into his oval. It's still under construction, but it is already one bad machine. He has done almost all the work himself, so his five grand has been spent on parts. If you take someone who does not do any of their own work, that same five grand won't go very far.

[email protected] Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:03 pm

WELL if you guys think the bus is not worth it WHY DON"T you see how much it would be for you to fix one up. Don't you guys have anything better to do then talk crap about everyone. I thought we were in the brotherhood of VW Freaks, shouldn't we stick together instead of cutting each other down. You know they say people that cut other people down have LOW self-esteem. Hmmmm

79SuperVert Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:31 am

Yeah, when I sell my vert I'll say it's worth $25,000 but hey I'm doing you all a favor and selling it for half price. If you buy that I guess I'm just lucky. Or you are something else. I think we're saying, yeah, we're all VW freaks, yeah, we should stick together, but sometimes people have inflated ideas about what their stuff is worth and saying something is "worth" twice what you're selling it for kind of insults people's intelligence.

mikevw57 Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:08 am

People think junk is gold now, and eventually someone will buy it for his price and be totally happy with it.

Mike Owen
mikevw57

truckersmike Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:03 pm

And as long as that person is happy and feels like they got a good deal, then what ever. I do feel though that subjects like this may help some new person looking to buy a bus who doesn't know what to look for. They may not have noticed the cut wheel wells and the stupid tear drop tail lights. Those of us who have done this for awhile can spot those manipulations from a mile away.

[email protected] Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:10 pm

I don't know guys, it looks like a pretty freakin nice bus for $6995, stupid tear drop tail lights and all!

79SuperVert Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:51 pm

Yeah, it does look nice, but then the guy should just say $8,000, not "by the way I coulda asked $16,000". 50% off a ridiculously high price ain't a bargain. But then again if you've got 8 grand to burn who am I to say how you should spend it.

jeremysmithatshawdotca Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:08 pm

It looks nice, but I don't like cut wheel wells either. Also I'd worry about getting smoked from behind with those tiny tail lights and no bumper. Jeremy

UZI Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:04 pm

this bus has an "off the cuff" and "tongue in cheek appearance". costly to get out of. too bad cuz panels are cool. looks like it has 2stage paint too.

truckersmike Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:53 am

He's reduced the price again. How can he afford to go so low when the bus is worth $16,000?