TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lousy-ass POS workmanship
79SuperVert Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:07 pm

I finally got around this weekend to looking at the rust on my bug. Thought I knew where it all was. Rust-through, easy to see, not so easy to fix. Thought I was finished assessing the extent of the damage, when I look at the bottom of the left front wheel well. Surface is painted, apparently rust proofed, but has some give to it. Scrape, scrape, poke, poke, pull, pull. Pieces of some semi-soft material start to come off. Barely need more than my hands to take it off. After a couple of minutes I'm looking at a gash a foot long, six inches high in places, and I'm looking through the gash at least two inches deep into rusted out portions on the left front pan edge. Sand in there, too. Damn. The lady I bought it from had said all bodywork was complete. I can understand some rust-through but this looks like some sob "fixed" her rust and charged her for a coverup job. I don't think she knew about it. Boy, some people oughta be hung from their garage ceiling by their you-know-what.

keifernet Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:23 pm

That shit is all too common on verts... sorry Jo... I wish you weren't in that position... If it hasn't gone too far it can be fixed properly.... I can give you some info on how to deal with it in phases..... later Keith

79SuperVert Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:52 am

I've taken it to a local body guy who did some small body repairs on the bug earlier this year and did a nice job. Small shop, nice young guy, two young kids, working on a vw vert restoration for a friend of his, repainting a 56 Cadillac...hope he won't screw me. Yeah, I ought to do it myself but this started out as a pastime and while I like the mechanical stuff, body work is not my mug of beer. Still, I'm not discouraged because the buggy just looks and drives so NICE.