TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: floor vent covers
freekazoid Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:40 am

Does anybody know where I can get some front floor vent covers for my '70? I don't suppose the beetle ones are the same are they?

70 140 Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:13 am

Find someone parting a car out. They should come with the cable and levers as well - to open and close the vents.

Gary Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:23 am

70 140 wrote: Find someone parting a car out. They should come with the cable and levers as well - to open and close the vents.

70 floor vents don't have cables. They are operated by hand with a direct lever on the vent.

And no, they aren't the same as Beetle vents. IIRC, the cable vents started in 1973.

Ghiaddict Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:40 am

Icy wrote: 70 140 wrote: Find someone parting a car out. They should come with the cable and levers as well - to open and close the vents.

70 floor vents don't have cables. They are operated by hand with a direct lever on the vent.

And no, they aren't the same as Beetle vents. IIRC, the cable vents started in 1973.

A point of clarification:
1969 & 1970 floor vents do originally have cables, with the
operating lever mounted high up on the corner underdash kick panels.
1972-1974 floor vents have the cable to the heater control knobs/levers.

Achilles3588 Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:09 am

bfy obsolete parts might also have them, used IIRC.

Gary Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:30 am

Ghiaddict wrote: Icy wrote: 70 140 wrote: Find someone parting a car out. They should come with the cable and levers as well - to open and close the vents.

Are you sure about 1969? IIRC, a 69 I parted out had the hand lever operated vents. I even remember seeing a friend's 70 with them. Perhaps it was a retrofit?

Ghiaddict Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:39 am

Icy wrote: Ghiaddict wrote: Icy wrote: 70 140 wrote: Find someone parting a car out. They should come with the cable and levers as well - to open and close the vents.

Are you sure about 1969? IIRC, a 69 I parted out had the hand lever operated vents. I even remember seeing a friend's 70 with them. Perhaps it was a retrofit?

Yes, I'm sure.
But sometimes you see the cables eliminated
by a PO and they just install a knob at the floor vents,
or they swap out the plastic covers to some with handles/knobs.
Here's a pic, 1969 KG convertible, underdash levers, cables
properly hidden behind kick panel carpeting:

ghiajake Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:01 pm

I had a hard time figuring where the cables/levers routed, so thought I would share. Neither end of the cable is adjustable, so you need to "dry fit" it before it's hidden behind carpet.