TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: A Chevy Samba Site?
ldsvwguy Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:27 pm

While I am a total VW nut, I am also an old car nut in general. If it was made before 1968, I always look at it. Anyway, I have been thinking of either buying or trading my 66 bug for a decent running 1955-1957 Chevy. I wanted to know if a site like the samba exists for Chevys. Ebay prices are as we all know are nuts and craigslist just doesn't have enough listings and well, there aren't any forums either. If any of you have any suggestions on where I can find a decent chevy or a link to a site i'd appreciate it.

Erik G Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:44 pm

I'd say craigslist but you already know about that. Layitlow.com for lowriders. chevytrader.com classicsandcustoms.com etc.

good luck!

John Miller Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:47 pm

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/

I also own a '55 Chevy. :D

ldsvwguy Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:48 pm

Thanks for the info so far. Years ago, I had a nomad. but quickly sold it because of the cost of parts. They were more than a high school guy could handle. But now I'm ready to pick one up.

Skim Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:04 pm

ldsvwguy wrote: I have been thinking of either buying or trading my 66 bug for a decent running 1955-1957 Chevy.

Good luck on getting somebody to trade straight across but heres 2 57 'no post' bel airs for sale, 10k for the pair. Thats pretty cheap.

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=333729

A BOX OF SOME NEW PIECE'S HE HAS FOR THEM

John Miller Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:08 pm

ldsvwguy wrote: Thanks for the info so far. Years ago, I had a nomad. but quickly sold it because of the cost of parts. They were more than a high school guy could handle. But now I'm ready to pick one up.

If your still considering a nomad you better have DEEP pockets. Here is a quote from the other forum I made in '04 when I was actively searching for a '55 Nomad.

Quote: I once seriously considered trying to find a Nomad to restore and here is what I found pricing to be:
$5000 for basketcase/complete (minus eyebrow trim, add 3-5K for trim)
$15000+ for complete driver/needs restoration
$30000+ for restored original

I had been watching selling prices carefully for over a year. Since three years have past you can add a couple thousand to each price.

ldsvwguy Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:16 pm

Yeah, they are pretty pricy. I'll probably have to sell my bug and apply the cash to a purchase. I have seen some decent 56's for about 6000. Not perfect, some rust. but drivable.

gt1953 Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:04 pm

I like the 55 chevys but the Notchback look to me like a 3/4 scale 55 chevy.

John Miller Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:05 pm

But '56's are ugly. :lol: :wink:

ldsvwguy Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:22 pm

I used to think the 56's were ugly, now I think they look pretty nice.

notchback Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:29 pm

ldsvwguy wrote: I used to think the 56's were ugly, now I think they look pretty nice. That's only because you can't afford a '55 now.

fifty8 Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:39 am

I'm getting a 51 Chevy in a couple weeks from my cousin. Turns out it was my Mom's first car and her Dad's car before that. Deals like that don't pop up often!!

sharpstick Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:09 am

I have a running 57 Sedan Delivery (picture a Nomad without the windows) that I might be putting up for sale soon. The Chevy's are a lot of fun too. I also have a 33 Chevy Golden Eagle.

ldsvwguy Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:57 am

Any Tri-Year Chevy is pretty sweet when built right. And one sitting next to my bus will make it look even better.

bugntjw Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:36 pm

I have been told that VWs are the gateway drug. I, too, am a total car nut. On top of my '59 Beetle, I also have a '30 A Coupe that needs total restoration/rodding. For me, though, VWs are what I fell into after I walked through the gate. Previous cars were:
1. '74 Nova,
2. '59 Ford Farilane,
3. '69 Chevelle
4. '84 Mustang GT
5. '70 Monte Carlo (300hp 350 w/Posi)
6. '68 Elcomino
w/ a few other VWs mixed-in. Tri-Fives are sweet, prefering the '55 due to the front. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Monsterbeetle Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:22 am

You're gonna have to trade ALOT of bugs to get even a half-way descent tri-five. Those things went through the damn roof long ago. Its mostly a car for the blue-haired/poodle skirt street rod set now unfortunately. The sad part is muscle cars are slowly headed that way too. Rising value wreaks everything for a gearhead.

gostros Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:26 am

sharpstick wrote: I have a running 57 Sedan Delivery (picture a Nomad without the windows) that I might be putting up for sale soon. The Chevy's are a lot of fun too. I also have a 33 Chevy Golden Eagle.

Let me be the first to say... "I'll give you a thousand bucks for the 57."

:wink:

ssx Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:38 pm

I am a VW fan, but have always been into V8's. I currently own a 68' Rally Sport Camaro, set up with a Fuel injected LT1, mini tubbed etc. My first love has always been 66-67' Novas and 55-56' Chevys (the 57's are my least favorite even though they are the most popular and expensive). It all depends on what kind of site you are looking for. Lowlife is good for the lowriders, Impala's etc, I used to go there a lot when I had my 61' Bubbletop, but since I've sold it I don't visit as often. Protouring.com has a great base like the Samba but a lot of the cars are really top end and the posters there have really deep pockets, I mean REALLY deep. They do talk about all kinds of cars though, and even Mopars and Fords, but Chevy's are still the most popular. The info on the site is great also. For a more general forum, Chevytalk is real good too. 55's especially the Belair hardtops are expensive for sure, but you can get into a nice driver for $20-25K or so, that is what people seem to be asking for a nice split window nowadays, it's made me have a hard time spending the cash on an old VW, because for about the same price I could jump into a nice Chevy. For example I really want a Split or an Oval/Rag, I have found a nice solid 57' Rag in original shape, but the guy was asking $11K, he just lowered the price to $9500, for $500 more I know where a nice 67' Nova is for sale. Decisions, decisions......I can't do anything until my Camaro sells though. :roll:

veedub4life Tue May 01, 2007 7:23 pm

http://ww2.collectorcartraderonline.com/

they have alot. check it out