TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Selling etiquette
[email protected] Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:41 am

What is the norm for selling on this site? I have twice now been the first to offer the asking price for the product and the seller has backed out.

My problem is that I am in the UK and some sellers cannot be bothered shipping here even though it is no different from shipping across the States. The first time I had the offer accepted to then be told that the deluxe hooks were no longer for sale then all his adverts were suddenly changed to US only. Then Bob ([email protected]) said he would find out the shipping and then sent a reply saying the handles were sold. I have always sold the items I have to the guy that is first in my inbox that can complete (if others are second I let them know).

I have to say though most of the guys I have traded with on thesamba have been very fair and helpful.

Anybody have any opinions?

Dan

79SuperVert Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:41 am

Just guessing: how are you offering to make payment?

lotsavws Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:51 pm

some financial institutions charge a fee to collect out of country funds. And it is illegal to send cash thru the mail.

try using www.bidpay.com. We use them for all our auctions and we welcome international buyers.

lotsavws Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:52 pm

btw...they do not do non-auction transactions. try sending the funds via western union.

UZI Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:42 am

keep trying. the stuff will come up again at a better price. i won't sell abroad for alot of reasons. i've been bitched at when customs forms get filled out wrong, been stiffed on shipping, made 5 trips to the post office to get shipping prices only to be told the shipping is too much...etc. too much hassle.

lotsavws Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:02 am

we purchased a scale and weigh the items at home, and use www.usps.com for the weight.
And the buyers ALWAYS pays me for the item and shipping prior to sending the item.

The only issues we have ever had was that the international buyer did not want to use bidpay. Then we would just say fine, and cancal the deal.