TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did you do for your Bus today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 662, 663, 664 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
mikelars Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:04 pm

That garage workshop looks fantastic.

Here is my latest - MadMatz from the UK - rubber parcel shelf mat - same style as the floor mats…. I put a few adhesive Velcro strips on to keep it in place…

mikelars Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:09 pm

Here is the whole dash with the MadMatz and black components. I still need to get my clock more accurate with the +/- knob:

BulliBill Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:59 pm

Great weather today, clear and 75 degrees on Dec 3rd in Missouri! I decided to give my '59 D.D. Panel an engine oil change and an air cleaner oil change and light engine compartment tidy-up.

I might just replace all the braided fuel lines and a new in-line fuel filter tomorrow with new Flennor braided cloth-covered fuel line that stands up to ethanol fuels...

Bill

Who.Me? Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:37 am

BulliBill wrote: new Flennor braided cloth-covered fuel line that stands up to ethanol fuels...

Bill

Any chance you could post a picture of the markings on that line, if you fit it? I've tried finding it in the UK, but no one lists it. Can't even stocksts on mainland Europe who advertise it, which is odd because Flennor are German.

I'm wondering if it is stocked but the sellers aren't stating the manufacturer, so it would be helpful to be able to compare markings with the product pictures (it might have a logo or product code etc.?)

BulliBill Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:53 pm

Sure Andy, but it maybe tomorrow... Here is a link to Belmetric' s site and the hose I have, there is a photo there, not sure if it is enough to read all the markings...

https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-ap...0olmklnfn6

Bill

crukab Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:40 pm

Pulled an engine out of my Barn today it came from my older Brothers Westy from back in the '80's, going to clean it up, pull the funky oil cooler, and see if I can get it to run in the '66 Singlecab. With the lack of snow, I was happy to still access the Barn at this time of the year. Love the Rabbit truck for these kinds of jobs.

Mile High Puma Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:32 pm

Sanding the first application of high build primer from the bed, I have a new respect for single cab owners that have done this.

dgsaz Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:13 pm

I pulled wires from the rear to the front. Up the right side of the frame into the area inside the lower/front tin and on to the valance and up inside the dash.

I use silicone jacket wire, flexible, heat resistant, pulls well. I pulled a 10 gauge,
2-16 gauge, and three 14 gauge. As you will see, I cut a 3/4" hole to access the frame channel.

Then I pushed a length of rigid throttle cable through the hole and it emerged at the other end of the channel without a hitch. I fished it through afterwards to see if I could get more wire through without issue.

I cut another 3/4" hole in the bottom of the valance and pushed the wire up into the dash. Very easy.

I attached some photos of the process and route.

Cheers, dgsaz

dgsaz Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:17 pm

Here are the photos:

Hole to access the frame channel.

Coming out of the frame channel

Into the valance and up behind the ash.
, d

dgsaz

LAGrunthaner Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:00 am

Sweet!

dgsaz wrote: Here are the photos:

Hole to access the frame channel.

Coming out of the frame channel

Into the valance and up behind the ash.
, d

dgsaz

mikelars Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:54 am

Added fuel shut off solenoid with 6an tank fitting. I had some (infrequent) carb drippage after shutting off the engine, so this eliminates the gravity fed pressure from the tank when the engine is off. Since I have a split with a bay 15 gallon tank, when full I think there was decent gravity pressure on the fuel…

Now when you turn the key to on (but don’t start it yet) you can hear the faint clicking of this solenoid under the bus. I was going to leave my manual shut off valve in line after the solenoid, but it didn’t fit before my rubber Mount bracket, so I just removed the manual shut off, since it is shut off anyway when the key isn’t in the ignition…

I considered a bracket, but between the 6an fitting and the rubber bracket on the other side, it is solidly held in place. This should make it impossible for more fuel to get into the carbs, once the engine is off…

Hoping to smell less fuel when the bus is parked - time will tell if this works…

mikelars Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:12 am

Was tired of reaching for the floppy seat belt - so got these and installed them yesterday…. New shoulder belts and the rigid connectors from Seat Belt Planet…

cdennisg Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:23 am

Nice^^^ I need something like that for my single cab. A little stiffer and a little longer. (giggity)

dgsaz Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:08 am

While the engine is out I installed velocity stacks on the carbs and replumbed the fuel delivery system with hardlines.

Photos:

Hardline:

Hardline ready to pump up and pressure test.

And that's how I spend my Christmas holidays.

dgsaz

64 ragtop volks Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:55 am

woke up the big boy today, its been a minute

mandraks Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:14 am

64 ragtop volks wrote:
woke up the big boy today, its been a minute

that is a good look.

Micron Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:40 am

Not sure this is the right place to post this, but i just wanted to ask, If you slam the brakes, does a bus feel like it wants to do a stopee? just a short question, thanks :D

cdennisg Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:02 am

Micron wrote: Not sure this is the right place to post this, but i just wanted to ask, If you slam the brakes, does a bus feel like it wants to do a stopee? just a short question, thanks :D

No. Just because the cab is all forward, the weight bias is not.

dgsaz Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:19 pm

mikelars wrote: Added fuel shut off solenoid with 6an tank fitting. I had some (infrequent) carb drippage after shutting off the engine, so this eliminates the gravity fed pressure from the tank when the engine is off. Since I have a split with a bay 15 gallon tank, when full I think there was decent gravity pressure on the fuel…

Now when you turn the key to on (but don’t start it yet) you can hear the faint clicking of this solenoid under the bus. I was going to leave my manual shut off valve in line after the solenoid, but it didn’t fit before my rubber Mount bracket, so I just removed the manual shut off, since it is shut off anyway when the key isn’t in the ignition…

I considered a bracket, but between the 6an fitting and the rubber bracket on the other side, it is solidly held in place. This should make it impossible for more fuel to get into the carbs, once the engine is off…

Hoping to smell less fuel when the bus is parked - time will tell if this works…

Similar same here. I replumbed the fuel delivery, new line off the tank, to a 100 micron filter and a shut off valve. That line runs to a blulk head fitting. It's quite nice to be able to disconnect and turn off the fuel.

I'm done plumbing for a while. Brake hard and flex line replacement is next
dgsaz

khalimadeath Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:32 pm

dgsaz wrote: mikelars wrote: Added fuel shut off solenoid with 6an tank fitting. I had some (infrequent) carb drippage after shutting off the engine, so this eliminates the gravity fed pressure from the tank when the engine is off. Since I have a split with a bay 15 gallon tank, when full I think there was decent gravity pressure on the fuel…

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2244802.jpg

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2244801.jpg

Similar same here. I replumbed the fuel delivery, new line off the tank, to a 100 micron filter and a shut off valve. That line runs to a blulk head fitting. It's quite nice to be able to disconnect and turn off the fuel.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2252375.jpg
I'm done plumbing for a while. Brake hard and flex line replacement is next
dgsaz

I would like to plumb mine in a similar fashion. is there a brand or specific kit you used to build this? Or just 1/4 in fuel line?