TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did you do for your Bus today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 664, 665, 666 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
cdennisg Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:32 pm

BarryL wrote: New flat shaped cover on the right with better drain plug seal and acorn nuts sit perfectly square.

Was this a new source for a sump cover, or just a new old stock from Brazil or Mexico?

BarryL Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:43 pm

cdennisg wrote: BarryL wrote: New flat shaped cover on the right with better drain plug seal and acorn nuts sit perfectly square.

Was this a new source for a sump cover, or just a new old stock from Brazil or Mexico?

BarryL wrote: My old oil cover on the left had a slope to the stamping thus not allowing the acorn nuts to sit square against the cover. New flat shaped cover on the right with better drain plug seal and acorn nuts sit perfectly square.

The left one is an EMPI one from many years ago and the right one is a new EMPI one.

cdennisg Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:28 pm

BarryL wrote:

The left one is an EMPI one from many years ago and the right one is a new EMPI one.

Thanks for the info. I've been in the market for one.

dgsaz Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:30 pm

I got the rocker blocks back from the machinist, 0.08 shorter and squared.

Then I took a cool picture.

That's what I did for my bus today.

dgsaz

amishman Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:19 pm

Already had ordered and installed the proper vacuum style distributor for my 67 from Sparxwerks so now I have ordered a more correct fuel pump from William also. Not the treaded round top but a square top that he offers that has proper 3psi and has slip-on for the fuel hose, as the metal line I ran into the engine bay this last year was slip on and not threaded.

Will feel better now that I am slowly getting the 67 to be a better every day use bus.

TJ

RBurn Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:12 pm

After driving it maybe 5 miles the brakes pulled to the left. Removed front drums and drivers side was soaked. Cleaned up the mess and replaced one leaking wheel cylinder and brake shoes. When I walked into Wolfgang I asked if they sold just one side brake shoes, “no, come in a pair” returned from back and said it was my lucky day “found one side only”. Next was adjusting the wheel bearing and figuring out the lock tab washer PO used had no locking tab lol… another trip to wg… I forgot to buy a wheel clip rivet tool so I improvised with two wood rounds and drilled into one and placed round chisel in the hole so the back part sticking out of the hole about 4” so it just fit over rivet head and against the clip and was able to get a great flat tight rivet. Now I have all my hubcaps on.

Shout out to thesamba wtb… another member came forward with a Og wire to my melted dash lights wiring… installed.

Next I purchased a Og interior light on the forum, had some issues as the wire screw was rusted solid, lucky I guess it had some wire in there (good reason you can’t remove it) so I was able to connect to that wire which was a pain in the ass… Getting parts from sellers is a hodge lodge mess… the wtb ads yielded great sellers but the others it’s sad as I didn’t ask the 15 obvious questions and paid the price.

whit Sat May 14, 2022 10:52 pm

Did a temp fix on my gear shift coupler , is there a aftermarket one I can replace it with ?

AS350driver Sun May 15, 2022 6:37 am

Removed transmission for the 5th time since I’ve had my 65 subhatch to try to stop the transmission nosecone from leaking.

This time, instead of adding a new seal on the original nosecone I’m just putting a new Wolfsburg west one on it, and a new hockey stick.

You could drive it around the world at 55 mph and not leak a drop. But hit 60 mph on a warm day…..bam! It will blow out literally a quart of gear oil through the hole where the shift rod goes in.

VWAdam Sun May 15, 2022 7:13 am

whit wrote: Did a temp fix on my gear shift coupler , is there a aftermarket one I can replace it with ?

The new couplers don’t completely split apart like that when they fail. They may lose the twist motion but you’ll be able to go into some gears.

Funny story, that same thing happened to me about 10 years ago. I was a few miles from my house and my Bus was too low to get under there and fix it. I called my dad who is always the “figure it out” kind of guy. I had to tell him “I can’t physically fit under the bus but I have an idea if you can bring me a floor jack.” So he did and I did just what you did and drove it home.
As a temp fix because no parts stores were open I drilled two holes and put two nuts and bolts through it with nylon nuts. It still had some give in the rubber and I was able to drive it the next few days until a new coupler came in.

BarryL Sun May 15, 2022 6:37 pm

AS350driver wrote: You could drive it around the world at 55 mph and not leak a drop. But hit 60 mph on a warm day…..bam! It will blow out literally a quart of gear oil through the hole where the shift rod goes in.
Weird. I wonder why too. Is the vent clear?

AS350driver Mon May 16, 2022 8:30 am

BarryL wrote: AS350driver wrote: You could drive it around the world at 55 mph and not leak a drop. But hit 60 mph on a warm day…..bam! It will blow out literally a quart of gear oil through the hole where the shift rod goes in.
Weird. I wonder why too. Is the vent clear?

When I got the old nosecone off, studied it intently and the vent passage was clear. Even hung up the nosecone and sprayed it full of WD40, hockey stick pointed down, and let it set a few hours. No leakage.

On the new WW one, instead of a plug or back up switch in the hole for the reverse light switch, I put an oil pressure sender that fit. I’m curious how much pressure this transmission makes. On one of the prior rebuilds, a new seal had been installed on the old nosecone, which didn’t stop the leak.

whit Mon May 16, 2022 12:25 pm

VWAdam wrote: whit wrote: Did a temp fix on my gear shift coupler , is there a aftermarket one I can replace it with ?

The new couplers don’t completely split apart like that when they fail. They may lose the twist motion but you’ll be able to go into some gears.

Funny story, that same thing happened to me about 10 years ago. I was a few miles from my house and my Bus was too low to get under there and fix it. I called my dad who is always the “figure it out” kind of guy. I had to tell him “I can’t physically fit under the bus but I have an idea if you can bring me a floor jack.” So he did and I did just what you did and drove it home.
As a temp fix because no parts stores were open I drilled two holes and put two nuts and bolts through it with nylon nuts. It still had some give in the rubber and I was able to drive it the next few days until a new coupler came in.

It worked well

BarryL Mon May 16, 2022 6:40 pm

AS350driver wrote: I’m curious how much pressure this transmission makes.
It better be zero. What lubricant are you using? Was there ever water in the tranny that could be foaming?

AS350driver Tue May 17, 2022 3:43 am

BarryL wrote: AS350driver wrote: I’m curious how much pressure this transmission makes.
It better be zero. What lubricant are you using? Was there ever water in the tranny that could be foaming?

80/90 gear oil and 1 qt of Lucas oil stabilizer. No moisture or water in the trans.

vwbusride Tue May 17, 2022 3:05 pm

In the past I have used the Lucas gear oil products. The problem I experienced with the Lucas gear oil is it climbs to the top of the gears while driving at speed. This was starving the lower end and causing a knocking sound and a mess. I pulled two transmissions before I figured out the problem. Could be related to your issue.

AS350driver Tue May 17, 2022 3:31 pm

vwbusride wrote: In the past I have used the Lucas gear oil products. The problem I experienced with the Lucas gear oil is it climbs to the top of the gears while driving at speed. This was starving the lower end and causing a knocking sound and a mess. I pulled two transmissions before I figured out the problem. Could be related to your issue.

Coincidentally I’ve used the Lucas off and on on it since I’ve had it, to keep the whining in 3rd and 4th down to a minimum. But I’ve also ran it with just regular gear oil and it still leaked.

AS350driver Tue May 17, 2022 5:06 pm

Got the motor worked back in for the second time since I got the tranny back in.
In the absence of a quality jack, I used my little crappy jack and two old atv tires to get the motor back in.

The first time I got it back in after r&r of the trans, it made some strange noises from the bell housing area on startup, but seemed to be calming down, but two miles from home it got super angry sounding, the clutch went to the floor, but it hung up in second gear. It had shifted into all four gears, but very stiffly, which I thought might be because the new hockey stick and nosecone.. wishful thinking. I made it into a parking lot and then the motor revved up and forward motion stopped. It sounded awful. It would go into gear , but release the clutch pedal and nothing but angry noises out back.

So pulled the motor back out, expecting the throw out bearing to be toast…nah, it was fine. So pulled the pressure plate off and was greeted with this.

So put a new clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate, stuffed the motor back in, rechecked the gear oil level, and this time it was happy. Did a 20 mile round trip with speeds up to 60 mph, 103 degrees temperature, and had no leakage from the nosecone. Fingers crossed.

Oh, while the tranny was out, I got rid of the terrible Jbugs gas tank I put in it last year (WW was out of stock at the time). The Jbugs one doesn’t fit worth a crap…the gas neck is too short and the wrong angle, your cap will be way down in the neck area, the fuel spigot rubs up against the starter, and your bus will run out of fuel on you at 1/3 tank sometimes.

So new Wolfsburg West tank and sending unit……ahhh so much better. And my gauge works again.

Also put new WW spacers in the RGBs and resealed them again….so far, so good…knock on wood.

It was a lot of work, pulling a bus transmission in your yard in 100 degree heat without a lift or shop isn’t for the faint of heart.

RBurn Tue May 17, 2022 7:36 pm

AS350driver wrote: Got the motor worked back in for the second time since I got the tranny back in.
In the absence of a quality jack, I used my little crappy jack and two old atv tires to get the motor back in.

The first time I got it back in after r&r of the trans, it made some strange noises from the bell housing area on startup, but seemed to be calming down, but two miles from home it got super angry sounding, the clutch went to the floor, but it hung up in second gear. It had shifted into all four gears, but very stiffly, which I thought might be because the new hockey stick and nosecone.. wishful thinking. I made it into a parking lot and then the motor revved up and forward motion stopped. It sounded awful. It would go into gear , but release the clutch pedal and nothing but angry noises out back.

So pulled the motor back out, expecting the throw out bearing to be toast…nah, it was fine. So pulled the pressure plate off and was greeted with this.

So put a new clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate, stuffed the motor back in, rechecked the gear oil level, and this time it was happy. Did a 20 mile round trip with speeds up to 60 mph, 103 degrees temperature, and had no leakage from the nosecone. Fingers crossed.

:D Oh, while the tranny was out, I got rid of the terrible Jbugs gas tank I put in it last year (WW was out of stock at the time). The Jbugs one doesn’t fit worth a crap…the gas neck is too short and the wrong angle, your cap will be way down in the neck area, the fuel spigot rubs up against the starter, and your bus will run out of fuel on you at 1/3 tank sometimes.

So new Wolfsburg West tank and sending unit……ahhh so much better. And my gauge works again.

Also put new WW spacers in the RGBs and resealed them again….so far, so good…knock on wood.

It was a lot of work, pulling a bus transmission in your yard in 100 degree heat without a lift or shop isn’t for the faint of heart.

Nice! Hard to believe a vw owner is jack poor :D , I recently put in a ww tank, it fit great. Enjoy!

AS350driver Tue May 17, 2022 8:32 pm

I got tired of them being stolen and quit buying more jacks. That little jack is/was usually kept in my 1963 Corvair Greenbrier van, so it survived. For whatever reason, thieves don’t hit the Corvairs?

AS350driver Wed May 18, 2022 2:09 pm

The fruit of my last 3 days of labor…..after a 32 mile round trip on the freeway at 60+ mph , zero leakage from the new Wolfsburg West nosecone. It only took me 5 years to fix it.

Normally with a full transaxle on a hot day, the front trans mount, torsion housings, and tranny cradle would be drenched with gear oil after that.