TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did you do for your Bus today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 651, 652, 653  Next
eddiemoney Mon May 28, 2007 4:36 pm

drove it all weekend

KarmannBob Mon May 28, 2007 4:55 pm

Finally put working hardware in the passenger door of my '65 SC. Works like a charm now inside and out.

[img][/img]

Clara Mon May 28, 2007 5:05 pm

Nothing.
I've been working on stuff for other people's buses.
think I'll go take a nap.

Tomorrow I guess I'm going to put a bus down. :(

67texan Mon May 28, 2007 6:43 pm

I drove a long ways roundtrip to cut some parts off of donor busses for my double cab. Got there last night and turned over a log full of hornets - I got stung four times, my wife got it once. Didn't get much done last night before dark, so we went to sleep. Got up this morning and lit up the torch to start cutting only to realize I was out of oxygen. So I went to get out my sawzall - had five fresh batteries, so I started cutting and then the saw's switch broke. Then I drove into town to exchange my oxygen bottle but no welding supply stores were open on Memorial Day. So, I went back to the guy's land and gathered all of my tools to start the long trip home without getting a single part. Then the seat in my dad's truck that I drove down there broke, so I had no backrest until I drilled out an old bolt and stopped at the hardware store to rig it back together. And, to top it all off, after I pulled out of the guy's place and locked the gate, I got back in my truck to take off and a black cat ran across the road right in front of me - no lie!! - I'm not really superstitious or anything but that kind of had me worried on the way home. But, we made it home safe and my wife swears she won't go again, but I'll be back down there pretty soon!

EverettB Mon May 28, 2007 6:48 pm

I didn't do anything but I found a piece of glass for my '63 at the Sacramento Bug-O-Rama.

Hella Bro Mon May 28, 2007 7:10 pm

I cleaned up the westy racks and then decided to go for a cruise up to SanFrancisco. I had to bungee cord 4rth gear. From the city I decided to go to Mill Valley. My 66 Westy is nicknamed "Mill Valley" because that's where I always use to see it parked, back some 15 years ago.

66busman Mon May 28, 2007 7:29 pm

My alternator took a crap, and I'm not looking forward to dropping the engine again to replace it :(

Hella Bro Mon May 28, 2007 7:32 pm

Ever try pulling the alternator out without dropping the motor?

VWAdam Mon May 28, 2007 7:34 pm

That's more trouble than taking the engine out.
Pulling the engine out of a split Bus is just too easy. I don't really mind doing it.

Ever try doing a Beetle? After working on a Bus for so long, working on a Beeltle sucks, lol.

campingbox Mon May 28, 2007 7:45 pm

VWAdam wrote: That's more trouble than taking the engine out.
Pulling the engine out of a split Bus is just too easy. I don't really mind doing it.

Ever try doing a Beetle? After working on a Bus for so long, working on a Beeltle sucks, lol.

It usually takes longer to R&R the rear bumper than it does to change the Generator. I don't see a problem with changing it in the car.

Hella Bro Mon May 28, 2007 7:51 pm

The rear bumper is the deciding factor for me, otherwise it would be a piece of cake.

chipmcluk Mon May 28, 2007 7:59 pm

Drove it to Sac for the show, scored some good deals at the swap too! Heres a pic from the ride home.

melville Mon May 28, 2007 8:33 pm

Oh the shame.

Drove both Bays this weekend, only used the split to hold BMW Airhead parts. Put the fairing and seat on the roof, using the cargo space for the heavy stuff. (The bike and the split are sharing space).

Later

Mel

camit34 Mon May 28, 2007 8:40 pm

Traded for this 1967 Honda 305 Scrambler...

Well actually...I traded the Vanagon, not the bus...but still a cool trade...

melville Mon May 28, 2007 8:51 pm

camit34 wrote: Traded for this 1967 Honda 305 Scrambler...

Well actually...I traded the Vanagon, not the bus...but still a cool trade...

Worthy trade. You came out ahead!

Stanagon Mon May 28, 2007 9:43 pm

I got the '61 Mango running much better today. It wasn't taking fuel all of a sudden earlier this week. Turns out the accel. pump discharge tube was clogged. I drove it to the local Stop and Slop grocery in the next town over, the farthest I've driven it yet. I even hit 50mph with the old 40-horse!

I also got the wiper motor installed and working this weekend. Single speed 6V that stops where you want it to...

Hoping to get it inspected this week and start driving it more.

joe cool Mon May 28, 2007 10:38 pm

Went to Bugorama and got a pair of tiny type 3 dual carbs, extra manifolds, and some 1300 singleport heads bored for 1600 cylinders, all of it crazy cheap. Today I started mocking up my attempt at a high MPG engine for my bus out of the leftover parts in my garage.
(It looks like with two type 3 manifolds cut and stacked and welded I can get the linkage above the snorkels on the fan shroud and use the cheap and tiny T3 carbs and linkage on a T1 engine.)

piercedvw Tue May 29, 2007 12:10 am

In the last 2 weeks.. Tranny out and sent for rebuild.. Engine.. detailed.. Engine compartment, cab, and heater area rust bullet'd.. new door panels cut, false roof done with stereo intserts to be done.. alarm installed.. painted misc. parts.... Working on interrior now.

Scandell Tue May 29, 2007 12:17 am

Buffed it....again.

nimbus Tue May 29, 2007 5:05 am

due to running through some oil on the CTS4 trip, started to look around.

Checked compression, 120 all the way around, check plugs, #3 fouled.