TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Installing cylinder head temp sender
nathan@el Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:26 pm

So, I just received my cylinder head temperature gauge and sender from Dakota Digital today. Everything looks straightforward enough, but I have two quick questions: 1) Where exactly do I attach the ring for the sender. I know it goes on a spark plug, but which one (if it matters at all) and how? Do I just screw the plug over the ring, almost like a washer and a bolt? 2) What temperature should I set the gauge to flash at for a "maximum" temp? I've heard 400F before--any other opinions on the max. "safe" temp. for the head? And, of course, thanks as always!

Randy in Maine Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:06 pm

The sender goes around #3 spark plug.

Go here and read up on the correct way to install it. The intent here is to "save" the sender unit as you remove spark plugs in the future.

http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/home.php?gspage=customer/main/tech/cht/cht_install.tpl

And set the gauge to flash at 400º and you will be there on a regular basis. Correct tires (185R14) will help you stay about there as will no vacuum leaks in the injection system.

terryg Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:24 pm

Rather than do the first easy thing that comes along, you might consider putting the sensor on a cylinder head bolt instead of the spark plug. Those sensors are at best no better than the crush washers that are supplied with spark plugs and are only useful for one install before they become mangled from normal spark plug torque, or, being twisted and distorted by a thick walled plug socket. Granted the response might be a few milliseconds slower, but if that is important you already have some serious problems with your engine. Combine that with the fact that all of them at best give relative temperature, not absolutely correct temperature, the mounting point is not all that important. Just get a baseline temperature, and watch for it to go to extreams and slow down. Exact numbers are a myth unless someone has some much more sophisticated instrumentation than any of the CHT guages that are offerred. They may work well on motorcycles where the cylinder is 2 feet from the guage, but 18 feet is just a cruel joke on Vanagon owners. The quality of the guage is ruined by the quality of the sensor and the distance the minute signal has to travel.

dlb Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:42 am

reactivating an old thread here. my '82 vanagon is stock and has no temp guage, which is of course a massive issue. i want to install one. is this the one i keep reading about, can anyone vouch for it, and does it come with all the parts necessary for installation?

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=...prd347.htm

if anyone wants to recommend another brand or model of temperature sensor and gauge i would really appreciate it.

Randy in Maine Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:55 am

That is the one to have IMO.

Buy the 18' long sender.

Install as described in the German Supply link or you will swish you had.

I left the spark plug washer on also and torque the plug to the spec.

dlb Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:09 pm

do i need the 18' SENDER or the 18' SENSOR? are they even different? just want to confirm and make sure before i drop the $150 on it.

thanks for the prompt reply, randy.

dlb Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:11 am

bump.

Randy in Maine Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:19 am

$27.

Buy this one Quote: Cylinder Head Temperature Sender Length 18' for 14mm spark plugs

CQ Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:22 am

Just call up Dokota and tell them what you are doing, they know the drill when I called them they said they had just sold like 5 of these in the last month for the Bus, it is an 18 foot sender wires you are getting for the sender it is 2 parts plus gauge.

SEN-11-8 - 18 foot for 14mm Spark Plugs (I think)

I installed mine but it is reading really low, still have to go back and check my connections or if it is in celsius mode?

dlb Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:26 am

perfect, thank you!