TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Subaru Ad
coad Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:49 pm

Just heard a commercial where Subaru claimed that "over 90% of Subaru all-wheel-drive cars sold the past 10 years are still on the road."

Is that anything special or just a BS advertising claim? How would that compare with VW or Ford or GM?

David Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:10 pm

Considering that advertisers can say "#1" and "best of" all day long w/out backing it up I would call BS on it.

Until I see hard numbers at least.

hazetguy Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:15 pm

coad wrote: Just heard a commercial where Subaru claimed that "over 90% of Subaru all-wheel-drive cars sold the past 10 years are still on the road."

Is that anything special or just a BS advertising claim?

ask them to provide you with more detailed information backing this claim.
http://www.subaru.com/tools/contactus/index.jsp

70 140 Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:22 pm

what happened to the other 10%?

Thee Midniters Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:26 pm

70 140 wrote: what happened to the other 10%?

The WRX owners probably crashed and destroyed their cars.

thebucket Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:27 pm

70 140 wrote: what happened to the other 10%? Mick Dundee has doanted them to the good people of walkabout creek....

KGCoupe Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:52 pm

I would certainly hope that 90% of the cars they sold in the last 10 years are still on the road......I'm mean, gheeez, were only talkin' about 10 years.

Any manufacturer that can't build a car that lasts at least 10 years should get out of the business.

My two main daily drivers -'96 Audi Cabriolet for summer, and '97 Audi A6 for winter - are both in excellent condition.
Each have around 110,000 miles, and I have absolutely no intention of replacing them any time soon.

notchback Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:06 pm

KGCoupe wrote: I would certainly hope that 90% of the cars they sold in the last 10 years are still on the road......I'm mean, gheeez, were only talkin' about 10 years.

Any manufacturer that can't build a car that lasts at least 10 years should get out of the business.

My two main daily drivers -'96 Audi Cabriolet for summer, and '97 Audi A6 for winter - are both in excellent condition.
Each have around 110,000 miles, and I have absolutely no intention of replacing them any time soon. What are you doing with such new cars? Mine are two 1986 Ford Taurus's and an '87 Mercury Sable. Nothing wrong with older cars on the road. Cheaper than a car payment.

I remember Ford doing something like this with their trucks several years ago. Why would more than 10% of the cars be off the road in just 10 years? We're not talking 1970's and earlier cars now.

coad Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:14 pm

notchback wrote:
I remember Ford doing something like this with their trucks several years ago. Why would more than 10% of the cars be off the road in just 10 years? We're not talking 1970's and earlier cars now.

That's why I'm wondering.

I mean, I'm sure that GM and Ford have a lower number than Subaru because of fleet sales, commercial sales, and sales to people like taxi companies and police departments and all that. The average 10 year old Subaru is probably cherry compared to the average 10 year old Caprice. I know a lot of salesmen who put 100,000+ miles a year on their cars, but I sure don't know any of them who drive a Subaru.

I would just like to see the same numbers for the other companies.

TimD_66 Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:57 am

from my experience, subaru's do last a long time....my mom had a 1984 subaru wagon automatic/turbo/4wheel drive, and it lasted for 21 years before she finally junked it....was always a good reliable car, only real reason for getting rid of it was because it had a limited production digital dash, which went out and couldn't easily be replaced..so my mom promptly went out and bought a new subaru....

infantibus Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:35 am

well im going to try and prove this theory i just bought a subaru brat with 150k on the clock run and starts fine im more worried about the rust eating it away