TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Removing primer on OG paint...
deadwesty Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:35 pm

this forum got me motivated! :D i decided to give it a shot- save as much OG paint as i can on my 65 bus...

my method is: apply jasco paint remover on primer- then scrub with steel wool (fine steel wool, #00000 or so) with lacquer thinner-lastly, i throw wet rag to neutral the chemicals and wax it with turtle wax (not to make it shiny but to play it safe).

i finished only the nose, half of the passenger side and some of the roof...i was a bit disappointed when i found some bare metal areas due to some body job that was done before :( ....what made me even more angry is those bare metal areas is almost straight! it seemed like the previous body shop wire brushed big area of the paint over tiny dent!! :roll: so now i am not sure whether to blend the bare metal or just leave it alone. will see how it looks when i am done with it....

tell me whatcha think??

nose- before

nose- after

passenger side- before

passenger side- after

some patina on roof

coming up work to do for me!

by the way, anybody got an og paint driver's side door for that color? i am in nor cal???

Major Woody Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:34 pm

I would just paint it, but it's your bus.

krusher Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:18 am

Looks like its lost a little to much OG to me, but if you can get a single pack celulose paint and blend some areas you may save it .

:D

aah57 Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:26 am

looking good! I love the blue showing thru on the roof.

deadwesty Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:35 am

krusher wrote: Looks like its lost a little to much OG to me, but if you can get a single pack celulose paint and blend some areas you may save it .

:D

yeah, thats what i am concerned abt...but hey! worth a try don't u think? :D

i don't expect it to become a winning show bus or anything like that...i will take it on shasta snow trips, made it into a westy, etc etc...so i think i will only blend the passenger side rear lower part only and leave rest of it alone.

whats celulose paint? i know wolfsburg west sells spray cans or maybe some local paint shop??

deadwesty Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:39 am

aah57 wrote: looking good! I love the blue showing thru on the roof.

thanks! :) i will take more pic of whole roof...there is plenty of blue showing on the roof due to sitting in sun for 14 years. i got it from tucson... :)