TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
John Moxon Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 am

TDCTDI wrote:
The only thing that detracts from your pics is the modern cars surrounding & reflecting in the Ghia.

Can't move all the modern cars out of a busy pub car park Chris...I did ask but it didn't work. :lol:

John Moxon Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:47 am

This amused me this morning. My Ghia topic has logged 600 replies and 100000 views...what are the odds of two round figures?
I'm sure the mathematicians among you will have an answer...Nicholas? :D

udo dreisoerner Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:58 am

John Moxon wrote: This amused me this morning. My Ghia topic has logged 600 replies and 100000 views...what are the odds of two round figures?

i think 1958% :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kiwighia68 Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:45 pm

John Moxon wrote: This amused me this morning. My Ghia topic has logged 600 replies and 100000 views...what are the odds of two round figures?

Coincidence is part of the very fabric of the Universe, John. But very few of us are sufficiently aware to take notice.

(Lawyers and authors are distrustful of coincidence, but not this one.)

John Moxon Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:02 am

kiwighia68 wrote:
Coincidence is part of the very fabric of the Universe, John. But very few of us are sufficiently aware to take notice.

(Lawyers and authors are distrustful of coincidence, but not this one.)

I also like to think there is some significance that it was I who made the 600th reply and the 100000th visit Chris. :lol:

John Moxon Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:54 am

With a bad neck and back I try not to do too much crawling under the Ghia these days but the crunching sound when engaging reverse got too much for me. Lucky owners have a stout wing-nut on the end of the clutch cable but oh no not me...that's too easy. A 14mm nut and a 10mm lock-nut is what greets me when I want to make a simple few turns to tighten up the free play on the cable.

I choose a showery day to do the quick job so the Ghia stays in the single width garage (the usual size for UK houses built in the '60s). Jack-up one side, remove rear left wheel and place an axle stand under the drive shaft. Jeez I wish I had gimbal-joints on my wrist/elbow/shoulder...this is f****in awkward. Clockwise to tighten, OK. I get out the 14mm ratchet wrench having slackened off the lock-nut and merrily ratchet away. That should do it so I check the free-play on the pedal. Oh for pity sake CLOCKWISE you idiot! So far in this confined space a job that should have taken me 20 minutes has taken over an hour and now it's worse than when I started. <where's the facepalm emoticon> So I turn the ratchet wrench around and tighten the nut. That will have to do...I think it's enough, pushing the pedal with my hand and anyway dinner's on the table.

Today I take it for a test drive. Start up, reverse out of the garage everything seems fine. Just a local 20 mile drive around the country lanes, take a few pictures but the gear change is getting notchy...I try it in reverse and it's grating again. Pedal free-play an inch and a half. Hell it's not my day. At least the weather for the rest of the week is better so I can contort myself under the Ghia without getting rained on. :twisted:

John Moxon Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:47 am

Where I live, sometimes the pedestrians just stand in the road and chat among themselves...

calexican Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:35 am

Ah, the old clutch adjustment, awkward indeed...too bad the person who upgraded your transmission didn't upgrade the clutch cable... I did the same thing thinking that the wing nut would fit on the old cable....it doesn't...So now i have the new cable and wing nut ready to install when things get awkward again ;)
As always fun and pretty pictures. Thanks John.

John Moxon Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:46 am

calexican wrote: Ah, the old clutch adjustment, awkward indeed...too bad the person who upgraded your transmission didn't upgrade the clutch cable... I did the same thing thinking that the wing nut would fit on the old cable....it doesn't...So now i have the new cable and wing nut ready to install when things get awkward again ;)
As always fun and pretty pictures. Thanks John.

Ah dang, I bought the wing-nut too John. So it won't fit the old cable...never mind the gear-change is quiet again so I won't need to adjust for a while. :lol:

I took the car to visit my mechanic friend to check over a few things this morning...he's a busy man so we're looking at sometime in November for a brake and king-pin overhaul.

Trylon Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:51 pm

John Moxon wrote: With a bad neck and back I try not to do too much crawling under the Ghia these days but the crunching sound when engaging reverse got too much for me. Lucky owners have a stout wing-nut on the end of the clutch cable but oh no not me...that's too easy. A 14mm nut and a 10mm lock-nut is what greets me when I want to make a simple few turns to tighten up the free play on the cable.

I choose a showery day to do the quick job so the Ghia stays in the single width garage (the usual size for UK houses built in the '60s). Jack-up one side, remove rear left wheel and place an axle stand under the drive shaft. Jeez I wish I had gimbal-joints on my wrist/elbow/shoulder...this is f****in awkward. Clockwise to tighten, OK. I get out the 14mm ratchet wrench having slackened off the lock-nut and merrily ratchet away. That should do it so I check the free-play on the pedal. Oh for pity sake CLOCKWISE you idiot! So far in this confined space a job that should have taken me 20 minutes has taken over an hour and now it's worse than when I started. <where's the facepalm emoticon> So I turn the ratchet wrench around and tighten the nut. That will have to do...I think it's enough, pushing the pedal with my hand and anyway dinner's on the table.

Today I take it for a test drive. Start up, reverse out of the garage everything seems fine. Just a local 20 mile drive around the country lanes, take a few pictures but the gear change is getting notchy...I try it in reverse and it's grating again. Pedal free-play an inch and a half. Hell it's not my day. At least the weather for the rest of the week is better so I can contort myself under the Ghia without getting rained on. :twisted:

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but hard to pity you in your Karmann Ghia Dream World.

John Moxon Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:40 am

At this time of year in the Northern Hemisphere most Karmann Ghia owners closely watch the weather forecasts for the occasional bright day. Not that we're namby-pamby about not getting our cars wet but for me personally with a black car that shows every dirty smudge like a beacon I'd rather not have to clean it after every outing.
Today looked promising and after a very wet start to the new year, I gave my Ghia a much needed first outing twelve days in, even if it was only a three mile trip to get the Sunday paper. The paper shop in question is in the picturesque market town of Romsey in Hampshire (Old Hampshire).

I don't live here, just positioned in the archway for the picture.

The Market Square, Romsey.

The Oldest pub in town.

Trylon Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:15 am

John Moxon wrote: At this time of year in the Northern Hemisphere most Karmann Ghia owners closely watch the weather forecasts for the occasional bright day. Not that we're namby-pamby about not getting our cars wet but for me personally with a black car that shows every dirty smudge like a beacon I'd rather not have to clean it after every outing.
Today looked promising and after a very wet start to the new year, I gave my Ghia a much needed first outing twelve days in, even if it was only a three mile trip to get the Sunday paper. The paper shop in question is in the picturesque market town of Romsey in Hampshire (Old Hampshire).

I don't live here, just positioned in the archway for the picture.

The Market Square, Romsey.

The Oldest pub in town.

Oh, John! I covet.

iowegian Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:04 am

John Moxon wrote:

Stopped off to have the Low-Nose's onboard compooter tuned up, eh?

John Moxon Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:27 am

iowegian wrote: John Moxon wrote:

Yep just a simple 300 pin plug-in for the 1600 item diagnostic report. Apparently my cup holders need adjusting. :shock:

KGCoupe Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:30 pm

John Moxon wrote: iowegian wrote: John Moxon wrote:

Yep just a simple 300 pin plug-in for the 1600 item diagnostic report. Apparently my cup holders need adjusting. :shock:
Your picturesque country looks just as I imagined it would, right down to the feral Corgi wandering in front of the 15th century pub.

Lovely photos, as usual.

67 Florida Deluxe Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:52 pm

So where is this movie set?? Seriously, beautiful photos, WOW! Definitely not Florida :shock:

-Kent

udo dreisoerner Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:25 am

your Country is so beautyful...your lowlight too 8)

PeteSC Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:01 am

Very nice, John. Postcard perfect scenery and a lovely Ghia.

John Moxon Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:22 am

Thanks for all the kind remarks. As I always say the pictures are easy, just find your favourite picturesque location and stick you Ghia in front of it. Make sure the sun is shining and you can't go wrong. :)

TDCTDI Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:05 am

When did you pick up that ding in the driver's door?