TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fake emails from TheSamba.com / Fake Samba login pages Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
EverettB Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:12 am

I saw a bunch of emails today about "Medicare Enrollment" using my email address as the return address.

These are not from me or the site. Obviously.

EverettB Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:47 pm

ALERT

A scammer sent a bunch of these messages today to Classifieds sellers on the site, using the "Email this Advertiser" link in their ads:
Quote: Contact: TheSamba Private Offer - [email protected]

***This is an email from TheSamba Team.

Dear customer,

You have received a private offer for your vehicle posted on our website.
Respond to the offer by clicking the link below: thesamba.t15.org/index.htm

You can accept or reject the offer online.

Sincerely,
TheSamba Team

[email protected] is not a valid email for this site, you cannot reply to it. They just want you to click on the link.

I do not recommend going to the web site above at all but for reference:
The site above appears to have duplicated the login form here in attempt to steal people's login information.
DO NOT LOGIN THERE

If you logged in there for any reason, you need to immediately change your password here using the Control Panel link in the upper left of this site. If you use the same login and password for other site, you will need to update those too!

t15.org appears to be a free website where anyone can create a little site.
I also emailed t15.org to tell them to pull this site down ASAP.

mcdronkz Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Just to be sure, remove the link to the t15.org domain to prevent confusion and trouble for people that didn't read your post entirely.

1968buglogan Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:39 pm

Yea got the same email and knew something was up when i read that address. Thanks For Letting Me Know Though

EverettB Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:58 pm

mcdronkz wrote: Just to be sure, remove the link to the t15.org domain to prevent confusion and trouble for people that didn't read your post entirely.

Sounds good - I edited it so it doesn't auto-link.

MICHAELOL Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:07 pm

Thank you for the heads up!! WILL NOT CLICK!!

Hans im Glueck Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:30 pm

What next!? I almost dropped the soup!

notchback Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:39 pm

Why don't I ever get these good e-mails. :cry:

Did this just go to people with live ads?

BTW, you might want to change the link you put on the first post of this thread to have 2015 instead of 2014. I almost skipped over it because it was a year old.

EverettB Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:40 pm

notchback wrote: Why don't I ever get these good e-mails. :cry:

Did this just go to people with live ads?

Yes, they only emailed a bunch of classifieds sellers on the site.
It was done through their ad on the site.

It was not a direct email and was not sent to very many people.

All of those people were contacted directly but I wanted to post a general alert in case anyone gets a direct email or if they try again with another web link or different message.

mark tucker Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:57 pm

so Im not getting $5000000 for my bug??? dam the luck.

aeromech Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:59 pm

I've been getting scam emails about a seller having a classic VW for sale with a price too good to be true. Here's my reply.

Fuck off you thief

Sent from Gary's iPhone

On Jan 4, 2015, at 3:35 AM, RCIO . <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,
> i got your contact email from a Volkswagen Forum well i have a 1964 Volkswagen Bus Camper for sale and asking $10,000., Please let me know if you might be interested or have anyone looking for one
>
> Thanks

talljordan Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:02 pm

Just wanted to point out Everett that the thief is likely not interested in stealing peoples Samba accounts and is hoping that people who fall for it use the same email address and password combo for things like banking and paypal.

If you fell for the link CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD EVERYWHERE.

May want to mention this in the original post.

EverettB Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:12 pm

talljordan wrote: Just wanted to point out Everett that the thief is likely not interested in stealing peoples Samba accounts and is hoping that people who fall for it use the same email address and password combo for things like banking and paypal.

Yes, this is possible too.
I will add that.

You should not use the same password for this site that you use anywhere else. This goes for every site you use.

talljordan Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:32 pm

EverettB wrote: talljordan wrote: Just wanted to point out Everett that the thief is likely not interested in stealing peoples Samba accounts and is hoping that people who fall for it use the same email address and password combo for things like banking and paypal.

I will add that.

You should not use the same password for this site that you use anywhere else. This goes for every site you use.

While theoretically that is correct, most people cant remember that many passwords. I have about 5 base passwords and I make slight changes based off of them, bad habit but thats life.

This comic has never been more relevant.

EverettB Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:48 pm

talljordan wrote: EverettB wrote: talljordan wrote: Just wanted to point out Everett that the thief is likely not interested in stealing peoples Samba accounts and is hoping that people who fall for it use the same email address and password combo for things like banking and paypal.

I will add that.

While theoretically that is correct, most people cant remember that many passwords. I have about 5 base passwords and I make slight changes based off of them, bad habit but thats life.

These should be ok as long as you are not doing stupid stuff like vwbus1, vwbus2, vwbus3

vwfanatic67 Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:48 am

i got the same email.

aeromech wrote: I've been getting scam emails about a seller having a classic VW for sale with a price too good to be true. Here's my reply.

Fuck off you thief

Sent from Gary's iPhone

> Hello,
> i got your contact email from a Volkswagen Forum well i have a 1964 Volkswagen Bus Camper for sale and asking $10,000., Please let me know if you might be interested or have anyone looking for one
>
> Thanks

bubba Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:49 am

I have had three or four of these emails in the last couple of months. :?

Stanagon Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:42 am

Thanks Ev

The peach Alert! bar worked to grab my attention on this issue. Otherwise I would likely have not known, but will watch for suspicious e-mail notifications.

aeromech Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:45 am

The first one I got a few months ago I responded to. He actually wrote me back. The conversation ended when I told him that he was full of shit. He asked why I thought that? I just said "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. He keeps trying though as now I've received about three of this type of email.

EverettB Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:02 am

We have a another thread dedicated to these direct scam vehicle emails:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614861

aeromech wrote: I've been getting scam emails about a seller having a classic VW for sale with a price too good to be true. Here's my reply.

> Hello,
>
> Thanks