TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Safares......where are they? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Red Fau Veh Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 am

That looks amazing! I was just gushing looking at the safare campers with all the high tops, then I see 2 of them posted with no top! Fun buses folks! :D

Dreday Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 am

Hi everyone, I just posted a bunch of brochures, flyers, and options lists that were saved by the previous owner.

The thread is "Safare' (Spirit) Camper Literature for your viewing pleasure"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6527510#6527510

I also have the original manual for the gas stove cooktop and fridge that I will scan and post tonight. Slowly the mystery of the Safare' campers are coming to light! :D
Anyone able to decode the serial numbers? Mine is XXX1 from June of 74' and I know that mine is not the first built...

pyrobus Wed May 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Hello bus fans I have a safari camper I bought from beetlemania in about 2002. I did drive it from cali and now I am using it mostly as a camper but it not driven or registered. It does run and the brakes were freshened up last summer. Thanks for posting this thread it has been very interesting . Posted a picture in the gallery...

Have a good one!

Mike

Red Fau Veh Wed May 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Fun bus! :o

airschooled Wed May 01, 2013 6:25 pm

This one's near Los Angeles. I've tried to buy it twice, but the owner was not interested in selling. Last time I talked to him, I saw he had three bugs in the backyard. All non-op, looked like they've been sitting for 15+ years. This one hasn't been moved in 10 years until last week, when he needed to clear the driveway. He uses it as a storage shed, and I think the interior is mostly complete. Bummer too, for such a sweet '74:

guitarman63mm Wed May 01, 2013 6:46 pm

I am joining the Safare club next week! I'm buying a non-op '74 in absolutely awesome condition, inside and out. Almost all of the extras were in this guy. 8)

I need to sort out the engine issues and get some new tires, but otherwise, it's in stellar shape.

(OG color was orange, so it has the yellow tabletops/burgundy vinyl combo, which I prefer. I'm probably going to keep it this color as long as the paint is in good condition, which it appears to be.)

Some minor windshield rust, a tiny bit in the door drain channel, and on the rear driver window's removable panel. Minor sideswipe by the cargo door (visible in this photo). Other than that, it really is in solid shape.

airschooled Wed May 01, 2013 6:48 pm

guitarman63mm wrote: I am joining the Safare club next week! I'm buying a non-op '74 in absolutely awesome condition, inside and out. Almost all of the extras were in this guy. 8)

I need to sort out the engine issues and get some new tires, but otherwise, it's in stellar shape.

[img]

Nice score! I dig the splitty bumper :wink:

But really, I do love that color scheme and styling 8)

CoastalAirCooledVW Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm

guitarman63mm wrote:
I need to sort out the engine issues, sell the bumper for a bay one, and get some new tires, but otherwise, it's in stellar shape.

Fixed it for you

guitarman63mm Wed May 01, 2013 7:09 pm

CoastalAirCooledVW wrote: guitarman63mm wrote:
I need to sort out the engine issues, sell the bumper for a bay one, and get some new tires, but otherwise, it's in stellar shape.

Fixed it for you

If I can sell the splitty and break even getting a new rear bumper, perhaps, but until then... I'm not going to spend money on aesthetic stuff until it runs well. :wink:

Red Fau Veh Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 pm

That's some fun looking fiberglass there! 8)

guitarman63mm Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Red Fau Veh wrote: That's some fun looking fiberglass there! 8)

Could use a wash or two. :wink:

Wait, I have a relevant question for you Safare guys!!!

I was told that the seal for my top is missing. Will a westy seal work? Is it just any old u-shaped rubber channel seal??

Someone in another thread mentioned this site: http://www.perfectfit.com/15976/Weatherstrip--Trims.html

Red Fau Veh Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 am

I'd have to guess that a westy seal won't work because they are not made to go around the entire roof as one peice like the high top needs. On my Adventurewagen the seal is only on the front above the windshield, but I read that some early tops had no seal, someone will know what you need though. :o

guitarman63mm Fri May 17, 2013 7:27 am

Just wanted to update this. I now own a 1974 Safaré #10079, it resides here in Tampa, FL. Brought it back from Western Pennsylvania, and it was previously from California, as I think most of them are. 91k original miles on the odometer. I have a resto thread I'm working on, but I'm focusing on actually doing the work before I start making more posts. 8)

guitarman63mm Fri May 17, 2013 8:06 am

Also, I just added all of these photos to my gallery from my owner's manual. I have the owner's manual for the Trav'ler stove. I'll post this in my resto thread too.

Also, here is the wiring diagram to the original fridge. No idea where the PO managed to find this. My bus has a Norcold AC/DC fridge that was installed in the 90's, I don't think this is the diagram to mine. Can anyone clarify?

Stuartzickefoose Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 am

Those are some COOL pictures man! thanks for posting them!

Buscuss Fri May 17, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks, guitarman. Your post added much data. I didn't know Safare had an operation in San Leandro.

It's a clean-looking bus. I hope you get it back on the road soon where you can enjoy it.

Please keep us up to date.

guitarman63mm Fri May 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Buscuss wrote: Thanks, guitarman. Your post added much data. I didn't know Safare had an operation in San Leandro.

It's a clean-looking bus. I hope you get it back on the road soon where you can enjoy it.

Please keep us up to date.

I dig it, I feel like we're historians of a sort. 8)

Here's the manual to the Trav'ler stove. I tried looking for parts on eBay, but I can't find much of anything about this company. My bus has the 302-20 model installed, do we all have the same one? It uses 3/8" copper tubing and the obvious flare fittings, but mine also has a three-way ball valve behind the passenger seat, do you guys have that as well? My PO appeared to have cut out most of the metal behind the passenger seat to give adequate ventilation to the Norcold fridge that was installed...I assume you guys do not have this piece cut out?

71whitewesty Fri May 17, 2013 7:55 pm

I don't think I've ever seen the "Travelounge" model. Anyone have one or a photo of one?

Red Fau Veh Fri May 17, 2013 8:47 pm

guitarman63mm wrote:
Here's the manual to the Trav'ler stove. I tried looking for parts on eBay, but I can't find much of anything about this company. My bus has the 302-20 model installed, do we all have the same one? It uses 3/8" copper tubing and the obvious flare fittings, but mine also has a three-way ball valve behind the passenger seat, do you guys have that as well? My PO appeared to have cut out most of the metal behind the passenger seat to give adequate ventilation to the Norcold fridge that was installed...I assume you guys do not have this piece cut out?

Well, I had a thought on that company. I have a Fire Magic BBQ and years ago I drove to Proctor Ave. in The City of Industry, to get parts. The place that makes them is http://www.rhpeterson.com/contact-rhp/ maybe it is the same company that made yours since it is the same spot.

cdennisg Fri May 17, 2013 9:23 pm

guitarman63mm wrote:

Interesting that the optional tent is the same White Stag tent that Riviera offered, and that the Safare' Special appears to have the same pop top roof as a Riviera.