TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: SVX Saga: Installing a Subaru EG33 in an '87 Wolfsburg Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
r39o Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:46 am

Raynor Shine wrote: I would recommend the ECU tune chip for some of the inherent problems of the conversion.
Where do I find out about this (I assume "hacked") chip?

vwsyncroguy Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:03 am

r39o wrote: Raynor Shine wrote: I would recommend the ECU tune chip for some of the inherent problems of the conversion.

Sold by conversion parts supplier Smallcar Performance.

www.smallcar.com

Warren

westy81 Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:30 am

loogy wrote: If you haven't seen it yet, here's an installation that I did a while back in a Syncro... http://public.fotki.com/loogy/33-svx-vanagon-conv/james-syncro/
Holy shite, man... that's some nice work!

westy81 Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:45 am

pete000 wrote: It is all up to the ref. I hear the guy near Torrance is pretty cool and might be a good guy to talk to.
This is good to know. I've dealt with the referees at Golden West College (Huntington Beach) and they were hell - I was importing a van. I went to a ref in San Diego (Miramar College) and they were cool.

pete000 wrote: The biggest pain racerx told me was the exhaust. He had to run the stock exhaust system from the SVX up backwards.
Yeah - this is part of the reason I grabbed the whole car - I'm keeping the exhaust and every nut, bolt and bracket related to the motor/emissions.

pete000 wrote: BTW: I believe the 94-95's are OBD2 which gives the refs more to look for as it is fully traceable software. the old 93's were OBD 1 which is much less traceable.
Ug... I hope not. Does anybody know if you can simply grab an OBD1 brainbox & harness and swap it in? (Seen some on eBay sell for ~$70 lately)

pete000 wrote: I am also curious as to the amount of extra weight that six is over the 2.2 Subi...
The KEP catalog says the 2.2 and 2.5 motors are 260lbs, and that the 3.3 is 387lbs: the SVX is supposedly 127lbs more.

westy81 Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:47 am

warren C wrote: r39o wrote: Raynor Shine wrote: I would recommend the ECU tune chip for some of the inherent problems of the conversion.

Here's the specific thing I think Warren is talking about: http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=73

vwsyncroguy Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:15 pm

westy81 wrote: warren C wrote: r39o wrote: Raynor Shine wrote: I would recommend the ECU tune chip for some of the inherent problems of the conversion.

Here's the specific thing I think Warren is talking about: http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=73

No that's a different circuit board they sell that eliminates most of the trouble codes that come up with OBD-II conversions.

The ECU board I was talking about is this one.

http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=45

Warren

westy81 Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:26 pm

warren C wrote: westy81 wrote: warren C wrote: r39o wrote: Raynor Shine wrote: I would recommend the ECU tune chip for some of the inherent problems of the conversion.

The ECU board I was talking about is this one.
http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=45

Would you suggest installing this "Stage 1" controller off-the-bat, or waiting until I've got the stock system up and running?

vwsyncroguy Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:45 pm

westy81 wrote: Would you suggest installing this "Stage 1" controller off-the-bat, or waiting until I've got the stock system up and running?

I think I'd get it up and running first to see how it goes. But the same question posted on the SVXVanagon Yahoo Group might get you some opinions from those that actually have it. I know Paul Guard felt like it solved some running issues he had.

Warren C

r39o Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:16 pm

It is too bad they only offer SVX tuning, it seems.....sigh....

Raynor Shine Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:54 am

Westy 81- couple things that may seem obvious:

1) Replace Oil/Water pump
2)Cams seals/ make sure oil breather cover is aluminum not plastic
3)ECU tune wil take the 1st gear "stutter " out & is also switchable for 87 octane.
4) While engine is out, take off throttle body & CLEAN, clean the IACV as well as this will help your idle.
5) If you are putting in a shortened oil pan, use a product call "the right stuff" That fixed my leak.
6) replace the oil pressure, water temp sensor(use 84 vanagon one)while the engine is out.
5) Use the suby charcaol canister, hook up is super easy.
6) the power steering pump is kinda noisy, I saw someone connect it to the VW connention & it was much quieter.

You will dig your conversion

Christopher Schimke Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:26 am

Raynor Shine wrote:
6) the power steering pump is kinda noisy, I saw someone connect it to the VW connention & it was much quieter.

Do you mean that they used the Vanagon flexible hose connected to the Subaru pump? Vanaru uses the Subaru hose connected to the Vanagon hard line to kill the noise.

One thing I have to say, I would avoid many of the SmallCar parts. IN MY OPINION, they are made to "just good enough" specs and could be much better with very little effort-but they are not! Hans at Vanaru is a great source for parts and information. In addition to their own products, Vanaru takes some of SmallCar's parts and finishes them off to be much better quality.

KeninMorganHill Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:51 pm

Westy...

Do you still need the rear mattress pad with A/C cut outs?

If so, I can help ya' out. :-)

- KeinMorganHIll ([email protected])

levi Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:57 pm

I've been in Leon's vanagons a few times. He's got "a couple" of interesting modifications he's made to them, especially his cabinetry work. You have any more pics of his inside mods to post?

hisport7 Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:51 am

I am just finishing up my 85 2WD 4 speed Westy SVX project.

Comments:

- SVX wiring harness is fairly simple; leave all engine to ECU wiring alone; graft in VW black box plug, extend coolant sensor line - remove excess wiring. All well documented in yahoo forums

- I also bought a complete SVX and pulled the motor

- Your budget is maybe doable if you do the work. At least of my conversion $ have been spent putting in big brakes, rebuilding suspension, installing HD springs, Konis, etc, etc. I'm North of $10K at this point

- AA transaxle; .70 4th; 1.14 3rd

- Highly recommend East Coast Vanagon cooling kit (reversed manifold)

- I used KE adaptor and clutch; H&R header

- Syncro SVX conversion is well documented; 2 WD is not. You will need to drop the rear carrier about 7/8"; the front 1/2"

- It takes a lot of hours to do one of these conversions correctly

Hope this helps

westy81 Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:54 am

levi wrote: I've been in Leon's vanagons a few times. He's got "a couple" of interesting modifications he's made to them, especially his cabinetry work. You have any more pics of his inside mods to post?

Yup - I've got a bunch of pics of him and his vans - follow my pic link in my sig, or see http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=leon%20korkin&w=all

westy81 Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:57 am

hisport7 wrote: I am just finishing up my 85 2WD 4 speed Westy SVX project.

Cool - thanks for the notes. You don't have more detailed notes of your conversion process, do you?

brentw Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:07 pm

If your van comes out anywhere near as nice as the photoshop version, you're in great shape!!!
Sounds like you've got a solid go-forward plan. Feel free to give a holler if you have questions or need some wiring diagrams...I've got quite a bit of content out at my website that might prove useful.

cheers
Brent

www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/

Alan Brase Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:37 pm

hisport7 wrote: I am just finishing up my 85 2WD 4 speed Westy SVX project.

Comments:

- SVX wiring harness is fairly simple; leave all engine to ECU wiring alone; graft in VW black box plug, extend coolant sensor line - remove excess wiring. All well documented in yahoo forums

- Your budget is maybe doable if you do the work. At least of my conversion $ have been spent putting in big brakes, rebuilding suspension, installing HD springs, Konis, etc, etc. I'm North of $10K at this point

-
Help!
I just found an SVX in a U-pull-it lot. what wiring to I need to get to put this engine in a 2wd Vanagon?

Thanks, Al

ChesterKV Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:39 pm

69doublecab wrote: hisport7 wrote: I am just finishing up my 85 2WD 4 speed Westy SVX project.

Comments:

-
Help!
I just found an SVX in a U-pull-it lot. what wiring to I need to get to put this engine in a 2wd Vanagon?

Thanks, Al

Just pull everything and sort it out later....if time is of the essence.

- Chester

westy81 Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:50 pm

69doublecab wrote:
Help!

Thanks, Al

Here's my list, taken from http://www.conceptlab.com/vw/1987wolfsburg/

Engine Complete. Engine should include:

* P/S Pump
* Alternator
* AC Compressor
* All Vent Hoses
* Engine Harness
* Intact Belt Covers (please inspect carefully)
* Oil Pan

Also:

* Engine to ECU Harness (uncut) Including Wiring to Oxygen Sensors (they are often cut)
* Oxygen Sensors (2 or 3 on later models)
* ECU Engine Brain Box
* Power supply Relay W/Bracket
* Fuel Pump Relay
* Air Intake Tube (air flow meter to throttle body)
* Air Flow Meter
* Air Cleaner Box
* Air Intake Noise Muffler (inside the fender)
* Motor Top Cover H6 Logo-Subaru (with plastic clips)
* Igniter with Bracket
* Alternator Harness (4 feet of harness) Also has A/C wires attached.
* AC Hoses to and from Compressor (2)
* Cruise control servo with cable and bracket.
* Subaru SVX charcoal canister
* SVX exhaust (if in California for potential BAR-wars)
* Power Steering high pressure hose