TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Carpet Glue?
Anti-Trend Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:25 am

what kind of glue is the best for my carpet?

Glenn Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:30 am

I've used 3M spray adhesive in the past.

BrockGrimes Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:59 pm

+1 on the 3m I've used it for carpet, doors, and headliners.

If you really want to know call up some upolstery places,
that do carpet or headliners.

johneliot Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:19 pm

I used the thicker contact cement I bought in qt. cans at Lowes.

John

BrockGrimes Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:24 pm

I forgot to mention on the edges I have used goop if the edges of the carpet lifted.
But using 3m I've never had an edge lift.
I've used it on other cars or when I lifted the edge to route wires.

Rowroy Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:09 am

3M for me as well. It will adhere to the carpet very well, but still allow you to remove it at a later date without incurring damage.

spotco2 Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:54 pm

We use vinyl top adhesive that comes in a 5 gallon bucket. It comes in from a paint supplier and the mfg's vary from bucket to bucket. I think the last time it was from Camie.

We spray it with an old paint gun.

webwalker Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:49 am

I think the carpet cement johneliot is referring to is made by Weldwood. It really is great stuff but be forewarned that they holding power of this stuff comes at a price: immovability. If you paste up both sides and let the tops skim over (about 10 minutes) they will permanently (and I mean that word!) bind together on contact. You'll never, ever, ever have to worry about sagging or sliding or bits that you've pulled taunt (like the back quarters of the headliner, which are always a PAIN) ever wrinkling or coming loose.

I actually re-did the rear quarter of the headliner last week...ZAP! Like bringing two magnets together. Sunday I did the jute padding for the rear luggage area, including the sections over the wheel wells. ZAP! That stuff may as well be welded to the metal.

I'm really happy with the adhesion, but this stuff is sort of like sky diving: If you don't have a good record of succeeding at something on your first try, it may not be for you.

M