TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: What did YOU do to your van today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 524, 525, 526 ... 529, 530, 531  Next
campism Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:22 am

Inspiring, but I'd be interested in finding out exactly what broke loose. If I tried that it'd be valuable chassis parts on both vehicles or something even more costly and troublesome.

Jake de Villiers Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:51 am

4Gears4Tires wrote: campism wrote: My new socket simply turned on the damn thing. So much for that. A foot-long box end 7/8" wrench would not budge it. A 16" long pipe wrench would not budge it. Looks like I'm going to have to remove the catalytic converter in order to remove the sensor or maybe replace both pieces.



Some idiot that is definitely not me :roll: put a wrench on a stuck o2 sensor, wrapped rope back and forth around that wrench, and then tied the rope off to another car.

It worked. YMMV.
Yeah - I'd be more impressed if he could fix his hand brake...

campism Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:56 am

campism wrote: If I tried that it'd be valuable chassis parts on both vehicles or something even more costly and troublesome.
Sonofabitch. It worked.

Decided I had nothing to lose, beyond yanking the entire exhaust off the camper, that is, so backed up the trusty Grand Caravan and drug out a length of chain, hooked it over the hitch ball, and gave it a go.



First attempt resulted in a *tink* sound that turned out to be my Craftsman 3/8" breaker bar giving up the ghost, but the second try using a 1/2" drive ratchet/adapter/6-point socket resisted at first and then let go with a satisfying BANG. Different ratchet with cheater pipe and liberal doses of PB got it out. This is great. I really did not want to have to remove the converter just to get the sensor out, so I'm very glad I tried this. Time, money, and considerable strong language saved.



Hooray, and props to 4Gears4Tires for the idea, and remember what Hillary says: "It takes a Mopar minivan to fix a Vanagon."

dobryan Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:35 pm

Good thing you got it out on the bus. If you remove the cat it is a b!tch to find something that can hold it stable enough while you try to remove the sensor. BTDT.

Not sure if you tried but heat is your friend in this case.

riceye Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:10 pm

campism wrote: campism wrote: If I tried that it'd be valuable chassis parts on both vehicles or something even more costly and troublesome.
Sonofabitch. It worked.

Hooray, and props to 4Gears4Tires for the idea, and remember what Hillary says: "It takes a Mopar minivan to fix a Vanagon."

This made me laugh really hard. Thanks, and congrats on your success.

4Gears4Tires Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:55 pm

:lol:

Necessity is the mother of invention. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Jake: My handbrake does work, the rock was there so the car didn't roll back any and lose tension on the rope. If the rope lost tension it would have slid off the rachet. That happened once before, so I put a rock behind the tire and rewrapped the rope.

campism Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:34 pm

dobryan wrote: Good thing you got it out on the bus. If you remove the cat it is a b!tch to find something that can hold it stable enough while you try to remove the sensor. BTDT.

Not sure if you tried but heat is your friend in this case.
I only have propane, which is generally not enough heat.

I had a plan (my wife hates to hear me say that) for the extraction once the cat was out. Bolt one end of the cat to a 12' long 2x6 standing on edge, and do the same with the other end so the boards are lying parallel on the ground with the cat in the middle. Then have a volunteer (that same wife, maybe?) stand strategically as ballast...er, as shapely and attractive force multiplier, while the brilliant wrench person with monster cheater pipe makes the attempt.

Same principle as when working on my steering rack; bolt the workpiece to a long piece of lumber for leverage, or for resistance to leverage.

Jake de Villiers Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:01 am

4Gears4Tires wrote: :lol:

Necessity is the mother of invention. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Jake: My handbrake does work, the rock was there so the car didn't roll back any and lose tension on the rope. If the rope lost tension it would have slid off the rachet. That happened once before, so I put a rock behind the tire and rewrapped the rope.
Ah-ha! I'm glad it worked for you.

epbiggs Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:57 am

I stuck this on the side of my Syncro.

B.O.B.Wanders Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:26 pm

Had to do an emergency clutch slave bleed after a quick lunch run. To be followed, no doubt, by some quality time with the master cylinder. Apparently there is a small leak somewhere that was letting air in the clutch hydraulic system and I lost pedal over the course of a few miles. Made it back - barely.

The problem for me was that we were at our place up in North Georgia and I didn't have my bleed set-up handy nor could I find any suitable tubing to do a proper bleed (I do carry a small bottle of brake fluid though). Fortunately my awesome neighbor happened to have a couple of feet of small diameter (1/4"?) clear tubing laying around and I was able to get the air out of the line and restore clutchage - at least for the trip home. I had not thought of just how critical a small bit of tubing could be, so this is now a part of my emergency kit along with the gazillion other spare parts I lug around. It's always what you don't have that you need.

westydriver Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:57 pm

Set up my Blue Seas ACR to finally get my starter battery off of the plug in trickle charger and allowing that glorious sun to charge my whole setup. Excited to hook it all up tomorrow.

JFK Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:26 pm

Made some curtains that snap-in.



4Gears4Tires Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:48 pm

epbiggs wrote: I stuck this on the side of my Syncro.

What interesting timing. We parked next to a Ford 150 at Multnomah Falls, OR with the Overland Bound emblem just 2 days ago and it really piqued my interest. I wondered what it meant and then promptly forgot about it. Thank you for reminding me!

jlrftype7 Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:25 pm

JFK wrote: Made some curtains that snap-in.



Welcome to The Samba.... 8)

And a 2nd welcome for a fellow Chicago Owner( Vanagons are scarce around here... :P )
although you do have that For Sale Ad over in the Classifieds, so is selling the Vanagon still an active thing for you?

JFK Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 am

jlrftype7 wrote:
Welcome to The Samba.... 8)

And a 2nd welcome for a fellow Chicago Owner( Vanagons are scarce around here... :P )
although you do have that For Sale Ad over in the Classifieds, so is selling the Vanagon still an active thing for you?

Yeah. It is becoming more difficult to have 2 cars in the city as a student and I am likely moving in a few months. And I would really like to have a manual over my automatic.
So if you know anybody looking for one, PM me

bobbyblack Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:36 am

Its been a week of not much work on the Westy :-( .. there was a fire I had to deal with, luckily no VWs were damaged in the fire. Easy to find pictures if you want, search 'southbear fire' on that fund site if interested.

I've been driving my Westy and sleeping in it when I can, but finally was able to get a look underneith to locate the source of an annoying coolant leak. This is a pic of the T-Stat housing, with the clearly splitting hose on the left of the photo (pic taken from below the #3 exhaust runner). I believe that this is the hose that runs across to the distribution tower. I have had the entire coolant hose kit in my RMW 'cart' for a couple weeks, and had not yet clicked check-out, and now I don't see the future very well, so I am going to just try replacing this hose, and cleaning up and seeing if the wetness and drips can be contained for a little longer, with patchwork replacement.

Can anyone verify this splitting hose is Thermostat to Tower: https://www.vancafe.com/251121058A-p/251121058a.htm



campism Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:07 pm

The replacement oxygen sensor for the catalytic converter arrived a couple of days ago and today I got around to installing it. Those 3-wire Bosch sensors seem to be about $90 from most vendors so I tried Advance Auto online since they offered 20% discount and free shipping (slooooow, as it turned out). Took five days to arrive from Ohio, but that's what they predicted so I can't really complain. Family illness and cold weather made me not want to work on the van anyway.

But temps hit the 50s today so I popped it in (using my new socket and plenty of anti-seize), hooked up the wires and went for a spin. Thirty or so miles and nary a hiccup, and the tuneup parts I'd already thrown at it made it even smoother; ran like a dollar watch, as my old pappy would have said. Looks like it's fixed and we rolled over 94,000 during the ride.

Now on to the other stuff it needs. Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

jlrftype7 Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:21 pm

bobbyblack wrote: Its been a week of not much work on the Westy :-( .. there was a fire I had to deal with, luckily no VWs were damaged in the fire. Easy to find pictures if you want, search 'southbear fire' on that fund site if interested.

I've been driving my Westy and sleeping in it when I can, but finally was able to get a look underneith to locate the source of an annoying coolant leak. This is a pic of the T-Stat housing, with the clearly splitting hose on the left of the photo (pic taken from below the #3 exhaust runner). I believe that this is the hose that runs across to the distribution tower. I have had the entire coolant hose kit in my RMW 'cart' for a couple weeks, and had not yet clicked check-out, and now I don't see the future very well, so I am going to just try replacing this hose, and cleaning up and seeing if the wetness and drips can be contained for a little longer, with patchwork replacement.

Can anyone verify this splitting hose is Thermostat to Tower: https://www.vancafe.com/251121058A-p/251121058a.htm



Do I see coolant at the area next to the blue connector, like a drop or two?

bobbyblack Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:03 am

jlrftype7 wrote:
Do I see coolant at the area next to the blue connector, like a drop or two?

Yes, and if you keep looking, you'll see it's wet everywhere.. cold weather is hard on rubber and shyt clamps..

jlrftype7 Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:02 pm

bobbyblack wrote: jlrftype7 wrote:
Do I see coolant at the area next to the blue connector, like a drop or two?

Yes, and if you keep looking, you'll see it's wet everywhere.. cold weather is hard on rubber and shyt clamps.. Since I don't have the 2.1 with that sensor, is it the type that goes into a hole and seals with a couple of O-rings or even 1 O-ring on the sensor body against the bore/hole of the housing?
If so, don't feel bad, I've always seen that type of coolant sensor leak in cold weather compared to other styles on multiple vehicles that use that design of a sensor and its feeble sealing. If you just bump the wiring to the sensor or the sensor itself, they can start leaking like that- Not a gusher, just a slowwww drip or weep.... :evil:

On certain Land Rovers that use that same set-up, people through they got clever by replacing just the O-rings on the sensor once they had sized them out correctly. Then the plastic bore or hole of the sensor mounting would warp on them later on with continued use, and they needed the whole housing...



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group