TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did YOU do to your van today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 491, 492, 493 ... 498, 499, 500  Next
Paulbeard Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Reconnected/cleaned up the rest of the wiring I undid when I took the dash out the other week. I have a radio again as well as footwell lighting and other conveniences. Handy grounds are to be found at the screws for the glovebox hinge.

Did some more testing of the solar charging system: full sun, 18V at the panel, 14 at the battery from the charger but at 2 mA. At the panel it's 7 mA so there's nothing happening there. Maybe after the equinox the sun will be strong enough to make a difference.

Now to see how long it takes to wear the battery down after driving around to charge it up.

AZ Landshaper Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Replaced my Blau expansion cap. Old one wasnt able to make the horn noise and didnt allow coolant back into the expansion tank once pushed out. New one toots like a trumpet. Works too. No more blinking light every morning or slowly draining expansion tank.

vroom vroom vrooooom!

Steve Arndt Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 am

I replaced my windshield mister nozzles with dual hole units and aimed them. Fresh wiper blades for winter too.

jlrftype7 Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:37 pm

Finally got back to working on Hilga with the Holiday Crush now subsided. Replaced the Rear Heater Core tonight with a new core from Van Cafe and finally quieted down the squeaky blower motor along with it. I had lubed the easy to get to rear bearing , but only got the still noisy front bearing on the Rear Blower once I had the assembly out of the Vanagon.
One down, one to go... :roll:

AZ Landshaper Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:58 pm

I got a disposable paint brush and a jar of ATF fluid and painted my suspension bushings. The van squeeked incessantly all the way back from BBTB in Lake Havasu. 4.5 hours. Thank god for head phones. Now, 10 miles after the ATF treatment things are silent. Im not 100% sure we are in the clear but so far so good.

AZ Landshaper Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:23 am

New anti rattle clips on the brakes and rehung the rear curtain w a bungee like cord. Fixed my tail lights so the braked lights and turn signals now work during the day. Night time is another issue :roll:

One day at a time.

AZ Landshaper Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:35 pm

Fixed my issue with blinkers. Turns out the front flasher was wired wrong. Corrected the wiring and now my blinkers work while the running lights are on.

AZ Landshaper Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:04 pm

Added the three 5/8" washers to the top of my front shocks to stop the clunking. Now the ride is almost silent. Sahweet.

dhaavers Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:11 pm

FOR my van, but won't get TO my van for another couple months...

Finally rigged my quick-connect jumper cable setup for install when new battery goes in...
...(whenever temps consistently get above 32°F...) ...about March or so...???

Also picked up M6x1.0 - 25mm cap head bolts to go with Mercedes front spindle nuts, due
to arrive this week. Everything waits until temps stay above 32°F & can get comfortable
with garage heater running for pre-season prep work... :twisted:

8)

- Dave

mikemtnbike Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:43 am

AZ Landshaper wrote: Added the three 5/8" washers to the top of my front shocks to stop the clunking. Now the ride is almost silent. Sahweet.

First I've heard of this approach, do you just add them below the bushing? My passenger side shock is going to drive me to day drinking.

Never mind, found the thread. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330905&highlight=clunking

Thanks!

AZ Landshaper Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:47 pm

I got this idea from a post a while back. They were complaining of passenger side rattle on bad roads and bumps. Mine do this W new KYB shocks. Turns out its a common ailment.
Turns out the KYB shocks come with a bushing thats too stout and doesnt cover the distanced needed to prevent movement. The three grade 8 washers w a 5/8" D are the trick to taking up the space pronto. I still think theres a bushing out there that would be more appropriate but the noise is gone and my need to medicate is a weeeee bit less. LOL

Sorry man, yes below the bushing is what was recommended.

AZ Landshaper Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:51 pm

New speedo cable today. Now when I get pulled over I know its profiling.

vanis13 Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:00 pm

Made pop top insulation. More details in this thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8988319#8988319

AZ Landshaper Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:16 pm

Reattached my rear bumper strip today. Used these Toyota clips in leu of the vanagon bumper strip clip which I didn’t have access to.

The Orielly auto parts equivalent.

Paulbeard Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:11 pm

AZ Landshaper wrote: Reattached my rear bumper strip today. Used these Toyota clips in leu of the vanagon bumper strip clip which I didn’t have access to.

The Orielly auto parts equivalent.

Nice find.

Steve Arndt Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:19 am

I took apart my hazard switch and cleaned DEOXit'ed it and it works like new again. Hadn't worked for .... the last 15 years lol .

I also fixed my go westy new throttle body throttle switch adjustment. It wasn't triggering the switch at idle reliably. All I did was bend the metal that that holds the throttle stop away from the post to increase the travel back to idle like half a millimeter. This was easier than removing the TB to adjust the actual switch.

campism Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:03 pm

Thank the Polar Vortex for keeping me inside. Vanagon parts storage was the plan here. Had three spare front buckets stacked for years and dug them out to note some differences for another thread and decided to build a rolling rack for them before putting them away again. One large Harbor Freight furniture dolly (about $17) and some scrap lumber and this now fits in the same "storage footprint" that the stacked seats did before. Yay!

I try to keep one garage rule for order: if it's not up off the floor, it's on wheels so it can be moved easily.

Paulbeard Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Replaced the inadequate ground for the aux battery with a matching AWG4 cable from my FLAPS, bolted down to the seatbelt bolt. Both batteries are operating at less than full charging and I suspect a weak main cable, as noted elsewhere for the main and maybe a poor ground connection for the other. Had both tested and they checked out at 14.4V inbound. Alternator was new when I acquired the van almost 4 years ago.

Degreased/hosed off the oil filter flange to see if I can isolate an oil leak in that area. Dripping off the pan front and back and it looks like it's running down from near the filter. The FLAPS counterman opined it might be a bad seal on the filter which I had been wondering about as well. Not losing a lot but any amount is too much. It's always messy getting the filter off a 50° angled motor…it puts the filter almost horizontal, ensuring some spills.

Ordered two voltage regulators for the console so I can perhaps get a working temp gauge again.

4Gears4Tires Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:29 pm

I took the gas tank out to start on the rust repair of the gas tank mounting straps. Apparently the passenger rear shock needs to be removed while doing this. Found out the shock was completely blown. Pulled the drivers side, yep, blown too. But the fun didn't stop there! I went to pull the halfshafts from the trailing arms and found this.

A PO broke an allen key off and decided to leave it there. I think I'm going to try to cut it off with a dremel and try a hex head bolt extractor. If that doesn't work I guess I cut the bolt head off.

vanis13 Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:33 pm

4Gears4Tires wrote:

I took the gas tank out to start on the rust repair of the gas tank mounting straps. Apparently the passenger rear shock needs to be removed while doing this. Found out the shock was completely blown. Pulled the drivers side, yep, blown too. But the fun didn't stop there! I went to pull the halfshafts from the trailing arms and found this.

A PO broke an allen key off and decided to leave it there. I think I'm going to try to cut it off with a dremel and try a hex head bolt extractor. If that doesn't work I guess I cut the bolt head off.

consider taking off the spindle....imho, way easier in the long run and you are less likely to screw it up even worse