TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: What did YOU do to your van today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496  Next
danfromsyr Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:31 am

one of these might do it if it can get past the rubber boot.
just lightly tap it on/home before trying.. keep a good constant pressure on the bolt while attempting.


bobbyblack Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:58 am

vanis13;

The broken hex bolt won't keep you from getting the boot/CV off if you have the other end of the axle free (which I assume is also equally degraded)

You might even be able to get the axle off that broken bolt if the other 5 bolts are out, and you rotate that broken one to the top, then lift the rear so there is a higher angle of articulation in the axle. You might be able to work the axle around, and slide it off. THEN you could deal with getting the broken bolt out. Even if you can only get a half inch clearance, you might consider a hack saw between the flange and the CV.

If you have access to a welder, after you get the CV off, you could start by welding on a normal 6 point bolt head and see if you can free it. At long last, if you munge the flange badly, there are replacements available.

bobbyblack Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:18 am

Well, today at zero-dark-thirty, I had to finish up a batch of laundry so kids could have clothes for the only day of school this week, its been so cold, nearly everything was closed, especially schools. Anyway, since it was 40 degrees warmer, and we've been struggling as a 3 generation family using the only car that would run (actually just let it run overnight a few nights for safety -- can't have NO car in case of need to take someone to ER or such) I decided to give Flossie a try.

She said in a quiet, reserved whisper "nope" ... 3 weeks since I started her, and her batt had gone flat. I sure hope the batt will take a charge. Group 41's are no longer made, so I hear. Plus, I just spent my only flexible $'s for the month on my Ford F-250 battery .. $150 2 days ago. Plowing the drive is a must...

shagginwagon83 Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:26 am

bobbyblack wrote:
She said in a quiet, reserved whisper "nope" ... 3 weeks since I started her, and her batt had gone flat. I sure hope the batt will take a charge. Group 41's are no longer made, so I hear. Plus, I just spent my only flexible $'s for the month on my Ford F-250 battery .. $150 2 days ago. Plowing the drive is a must...

Sorry to hear :(. I don't think the batteries are being made - but they are still to be found. I checked inventory and the nearest walmart that has group 41's has two in stock for $74 each. I checked stock via brickseek.com - so I would call and ask regarding stock if you want to make that journey.

Walmart Supercenter #750
302 Enterprise Dr
Independence IA 50644

bobbyblack Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:38 am

Hmm, My folks are going through Independence tomorrow....

shagginwagon83 Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 am

That's how I scored my battery! Parents was visiting sister 2 hours away. I was busy and couldn't go. I was like "Dad, how about you stop at <midpoint> walmart and pick me up a battery".

Again, please take this as a 'tip' that they may have batteries. Brickseek pricing and stock quantities is like 75% accurate. Call them up before you send someone in.

Team WorldTour Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:46 am

I destroyed my ignition switch!
If anyone was following my last thread, they would know that's what the culprit was. Anyway, I start tearing into it, only to discover, I have no 24mm socket to remove the steering wheel! :shock:
So, now it's a trip to the shops in the wife's car for a new tool. Not a total loss, I guess.... :roll:

bobbyblack Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:56 am

The nut behind the wheel strikes again!!!!

I've had some luck with a left handed monkey wrench and a screwdriver through the end-hole

-bobby

Team WorldTour Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:01 am

Thanks for the tip, but I'm a stickler. I insist on using the right tool for the job.
Plus, I have a new socket! Downside is, the new switch I got from Guenzl is buggered. And there isn't anything I can do about it until Monday.

joetiger Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 am

bobbyblack wrote: The nut behind the wheel strikes again!!!!

I've had some luck with a left handed monkey wrench and a screwdriver through the end-hole

-bobby

I saw Vickery do it once with a big crescent wrench and a screwdriver. (I use the 24mm socket.)

levi Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:15 pm

shagginwagon83 wrote: That's how I scored my battery! Parents was visiting sister 2 hours away. I was busy and couldn't go. I was like "Dad, how about you stop at <midpoint> walmart and pick me up a battery".

Again, please take this as a 'tip' that they may have batteries. Brickseek pricing and stock quantities is like 75% accurate. Call them up before you send someone in.

Have the battery checked before you leave the store.
Couple months ago there were only two left in vegas area Walmarts and both had about 1 volt on them.

Autozone had them but at twice the price. :roll:

dhaavers Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:42 pm

levi wrote: ...Have the battery checked before you leave the store....
...and if there ARE 2 to choose from, take the one with the newer date code...

:wink:

- Dave

levi Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:55 pm

dhaavers wrote: levi wrote: ...Have the battery checked before you leave the store....
...and if there ARE 2 to choose from, take the one with the newer date code...

:wink:

- Dave

It was kinda funny, when I bought one of the 2 in stock at the Walmart I asked the guy and he said that they both had the same date code, didn't say what that date code was, and I suppose I just (ass)umed that they would, naturally, put a meter on it before selling it to me.

When I brought it back the same guy said standard procedure was to put a charge on every year or so, but that he quit doing that on these batteries several years ago. Seriously.

AZ Landshaper Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:53 am

Pulled my governor last night and shaved off a nickle. Must have done the trick. Now my trans shifts from 2nd to 3rd (on the big hill headed home) at 45 MPH instead of 38. Much better. I love how little actions can make a big difference in performance.

4Gears4Tires Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:18 pm

danfromsyr wrote: one of these might do it if it can get past the rubber boot.
just lightly tap it on/home before trying.. keep a good constant pressure on the bolt while attempting.

That's exactly what I did. I tried them first without any luck, couldn't get it on, then vise grips, then tried cutting it off, then air chisel, then went back to the extractors. Somehow I had mangled it to the point where I could get it. Pounded it on with an extension and a hammer. Impact took it right off.

My next fiasco was removing the trailing arms. The other 2 bolts were completely frozen in the bushing. A 1200ft/lbs 1" impact rotated the bushing in the arm, but not the bolt. So that was fun. A lot of cutting and hammering later they were out. I cut both ends off the bolt and then pried the tabs open a bit to get it out. Took 3 hours to get 2 trailing arms out! :roll:

AZ Landshaper Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:40 am

dropped the old gas tank thats been cavitating my pump off and on since I bought the van. Installed the new go westy tank that came with the van repair package and ran the van down I-19 to the DiConcini port of entry and back with out so much as a hum coming from the pump. pump is nearly silent now. Love it when a plan comes together. :D

Danny Dropshadow Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:32 am

Literally just bought my van over the weekend. So excited to start dumping money into it. So far I've just done some simple maintenance, cleaning and new window levers, new front grill, ponchos for the seats.

I need a new battery and glow plugs to get it tip-top for the road, but I've had fun taking her around the block a few times.

1982 VW Vanagon L
1.9L Turbo Diesel

joetiger Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:41 am

Danny Dropshadow wrote: Literally just bought my van over the weekend. So excited to start dumping money into it. So far I've just done some simple maintenance, cleaning and new window levers, new front grill, ponchos for the seats.

I need a new battery and glow plugs to get it tip-top for the road, but I've had fun taking her around the block a few times.

1982 VW Vanagon L
1.9L Turbo Diesel

Congratulations! Start your own thread, add some photos, keep us updated on your progress, and change your fuel lines asap.

Team WorldTour Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:40 pm

joetiger wrote: Danny Dropshadow wrote: ... glow plugs /1.9L Turbo Diesel
change your fuel lines asap.

My first thought too, but then I saw it's a Diesel.
What's the motor code, AAZ? :popcorn:

joetiger Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:39 pm

Team WorldTour wrote:

My first thought too, but then I saw it's a Diesel.
What's the motor code, AAZ? :popcorn:

D'oh! I'm becoming a Samba robot.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group