TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did YOU do to your van today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 493, 494, 495, 496  Next
campism Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:07 pm

Danny Dropshadow wrote: ...So excited to start dumping money into it. So far I've just done some simple maintenance, cleaning and new window levers, new front grill, ponchos for the seats.
Exxxxcellent, the conditioning program is working as intended.

bobbyblack Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:57 am

Remembered that a cookie was waiting in a box from RMW/van-cafe, along with the full windows seals (well, not the driver/passenger doors) I ordered instead of the Marco sprayers. ... Grrr ... how can new window rubber be more improtant?!?!? Oh ya.. its more important because there are holes forming under the original rubber AND I got Late model rear quarters with the vents waiting too...

SO, I didn't want a mouse to find that cookie and I opened the box and gave the cookie to daughter #1. Can't imagine letting that cookie sit there and have it bait vermin that would then chew the new rubber too! Crisis avoided, for now.. I guess the next project is Ceramic tint, as the windows are all coming out. Oh, and I clicked around to find front glass. $249 for green with blue top from safelite in minneapolis, if I finally conclude that a windshield I can actually see out of at sunrise or sunset is actually important ;-)

Local tint shop thinks $350 for ceramic 35% with all windows out would be a fair deal. Me too!

dabaron Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 am

i picked up a 2nd 2.1L WBX last night from djkeev...

Team WorldTour Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:48 am

:shock:
Not to throw shade on djkeev, but man! What was that engine last used for, a boat anchor?

Cobra88 Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 am

I was going to ask if it was kept in the Sea :)

danfromsyr Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:24 am

I'm more curious what you think that strap & rubber bungee are going to accomplish?
looks as effective as tying your shoes with spaghetti.

but good on Djkeev and you for keeping a WBX out of scrap.

dabaron wrote: i picked up a 2nd 2.1L WBX last night from djkeev...

dabaron Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:23 pm

danfromsyr wrote: I'm more curious what you think that strap & rubber bungee are going to accomplish?
looks as effective as tying your shoes with spaghetti.

not the final configuration. it did not move during the 2 hour drive, including a brake check for a dozen deer. who knew deer would jump out of a canal!

westydriver Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:01 pm

[quote="dabaron"]i picked up a 2nd 2.1L WBX last night from djkeev...

[/quote

if you want another one I have one here in Nebraska I'd give you a six pack to take away.

dabaron Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:53 pm

westydriver wrote:
if you want another one I have one here in Nebraska I'd give you a six pack to take away.

six pack of what?

campism Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Cobra88 wrote: I was going to ask if it was kept in the Sea.
Nice shade of "plains patina."

Danny Dropshadow Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Team WorldTour wrote: joetiger wrote: Danny Dropshadow wrote: ... glow plugs /1.9L Turbo Diesel
change your fuel lines asap.

My first thought too, but then I saw it's a Diesel.
What's the motor code, AAZ? :popcorn:

Yea, it's an AAZ. Working on finding new glow plugs now. I think the grounding might be bad as well so checking that out this weekend.

Team WorldTour Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:03 pm

Check out the 'Pimp Your Glow Plugs' post

Mr. Waldon has ALOT of good info on his page.

And welcome! You will find quite a few of us drive an AAZ-powered toaster...

westydriver Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:02 pm

Took my van out for a short drive after a 9 year hibernation. That new EJ22 is running great after getting the timing back in play. I can actually foresee a day now that I can meet up with some of you folks to pay you back for the insight and help you have provided me. Cheers!!!!!

dhaavers Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:01 pm

^^^ Wow...you're younger than I expected...

:wink:

- Dave

Make America Vanagon Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:46 pm

Finally got around to some items while wife and kids were out of town. After mulling cheap vs. correct, I went with cheap and used Bondo for front bumper fix; still needs some work, but better to look at now:

Before:

After:

I picked up 2 x 10' Iron Pipe. They were cut at the store, brought home, sanded, painted, and installed with Yakima 1A Towers. Finished painting alloys, and had those put on. I also started templates for new interior panels.

MV2 Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Westydriver - May the force of The Pokes be with you. I'm flashing a few Steamboat stickers myself.

john_lessard Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:19 pm

Here are some pictures of the auxiliary battery system I finished the other day! This is in a 1986 Tin Top. I didn't want to cut any holes in the body, so I hid my sure power hookup in the driver's wheel well.

Passenger's side:

Driver's Side:

dhaavers Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:41 pm

john_lessard wrote:
I like it! This would be a great mod for our weekender...nice work!

8)

- Dave

john_lessard Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:51 pm

dhaavers wrote: john_lessard wrote:
I like it! This would be a great mod for our weekender...nice work!

8)

- Dave

Thanks Dave! It was an easy set-up. The hardest part is committing to drilling that 2" hole.

Steve Arndt Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 am

A piece of this kitchen cutting board can be trimmed to make a very sturdy positive terminal protector. Better than duct tape.