TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did YOU do to your van today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 494, 495, 496, 497  Next
mikemtnbike Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:43 am

Steve Arndt wrote: A piece of this kitchen cutting board can be trimmed to make a very sturdy positive terminal protector. Better than duct tape.

On my main battery, I glued plastic to the bottom of the hinged cover as well as protecting the terminal itself. There was evidence of the battery previously having had contact with the cover...

shagginwagon83 Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:46 am

I used this $6 sticker gowesty product. I love stickers.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/battery/24621/battery-insulation-pad

Team WorldTour Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:12 pm

I blew a coolant hose on the Autobahn!
(Then I repaired it myself, turned around and went back home)

dabaron Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:56 pm

Team WorldTour wrote: I blew a coolant hose on the Autobahn!

that sounds about right. VW driver, VW mechanic. two words for the same thing.

this was the best part of my evening with that 2.1 I picked up. only took 45 minutes to break loose.

Team WorldTour Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:39 am

Team WorldTour wrote: I blew a coolant hose on the Autobahn!

Ironically, I was wearing THIS yesterday when it happened:

(Credit were credit is due, I bought it HERE)

eugenev Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:08 am

finished up the fuel lines and injectors!

VWeGoBeachNow Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 pm

While I was at Harbor Freight today I saw something that would be cool to use as storage and wont take up that much space. A 50 Cal Metal Ammo Box and it only cost $12.99. I used bungee cords to secure it :) You can see in the picture when it's closed and open. I had some non-adhesive grip liner laying around so I cut a piece to put inside. I don't know if anyone else has done this before but hopefully ya'll can get creative with it as well.

I didn't do this to my van today but a couple weeks ago I found a wooden storage ottoman at Target that fit perfectly behind my passenger seat. I put my heavier items in there so it wont move as much but the bungees secure it down. It's pretty comfortable to sit on when parked but can be used as a foot rest or table to eat on with a food tray.

dhaavers Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:29 am

Duuude...sweet interior style points, but I wish you'd spring for some beefy straps or webbing to
secure your stuff. Bungees have a way of letting go at the worst moments. The risk of interior
projectiles and secondary impacts means at some point you could have a real bad time.

Seriously...not making light of the issue at all. Safety first. Seriously.

- Dave

VWeGoBeachNow Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:04 pm

dhaavers wrote: Duuude...sweet interior style points, but I wish you'd spring for some beefy straps or webbing to
secure your stuff. Bungees have a way of letting go at the worst moments. The risk of interior
projectiles and secondary impacts means at some point you could have a real bad time.

Seriously...not making light of the issue at all. Safety first. Seriously.

- Dave

Definitely! I secured the ammo box some more so that's not going anywhere but I need to work on the ottoman lol I'll prob put in some latches to keep the top down and maybe some eye hooks on the ottoman and lock them down somehow. Thanks for looking out I wasn't thinking about projectiles and secondary impacts ](*,)

dhaavers Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:23 pm

^^^ Cool.

While you're at it, do some strappiness to your cooler behind the driver's seat,
secure the ottoman lid over the "heavier items" and you should be good... 8)

VWeGoBeachNow wrote: ...think...about projectiles and secondary impacts...
Yes...do this...always. ALWAYS DO THIS. Do.

:wink:

- Dave

4mymalamute Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Went out to install the new SA grill and lights....and NOPE...grill is cracked in two places. Sending it back soon (as soon as UPS calls to pick it up) and hopefully get a replacement shortly from VC. In the meantime, I did put in the brackets and lights and they are purdy!

Paulbeard Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:41 pm

Possibly figured out where all that oil was coming from (out the dipstick tube)…add some tape to the stick to make a seal and (I hope) put it at the right level (ABA/diesel oil pan blah blah blah). No me gusta the oil pressure buzzer… worst case, I drain and refill if it's still low (only 1000 miles into this last change tho #-o )

Pcforno Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Team WorldTour wrote: Team WorldTour wrote: I blew a coolant hose on the Autobahn!

That shirt is freakin awesome! Just bought one! Is that symbol on all German car parts - I’ve only seen it on Lemforder ball joints, totally love it

ajdenette Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:03 pm

I bout another van this weekend I have joined the Syncro Doka owners club.

Team WorldTour Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:34 am

Pcforno wrote: Team WorldTour wrote: Team WorldTour wrote: I blew a coolant hose on the Autobahn!

That shirt is freakin awesome! Just bought one! Is that symbol on all German car parts - I’ve only seen it on Lemforder ball joints, totally love it

Yeah, Just Like you see on the ball joint package. It's on damn near every parts package here.

4Gears4Tires Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:47 pm

After rebuilding the body above the trailing arm locating point I finally tacked in a new body panel. That second hole near the door slide was not easy to weld up. The other side has a worse frame rebuild but only the lower corner of the panel needs to be replaced.

AZ Landshaper Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:11 pm

Finally got sick of the subaru ticking sound and pulled my rockers to clean and drain the lifters. Submerged the lifter in clean oil. pressed the check valve in to allow drainage and refilling. This process is shown all over the web.
Works like a charm (so far). Only takes an hour to do each side of the motor.

Ticking noise is gone and the engine is once again silent.

Much quieter than my 2.0 ever was.

I love it when a plan comes together.

PS No need to readjust the lifter afterward if you install as was and dont move the lifters around.

Just in time for a long drive manana.

jlrftype7 Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:55 pm

AZ Landshaper wrote: Finally got sick of the subaru ticking sound and pulled my rockers to clean and drain the lifters. Submerged the lifter in clean oil. pressed the check valve in to allow drainage and refilling. This process is shown all over the web.

PS No need to readjust the lifter afterward if you install as was and dont move the lifters around.

Just in time for a long drive manana. I didn't know Subaru had any lifter issues.... I thought VW was holding onto the patent for that noise..... :wink:

bobbyblack Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:25 am

jlrftype7 wrote: I didn't know Subaru had any lifter issues.... I thought VW was holding onto the patent for that noise..... :wink:

I wish. My Highlander with a lifter tick will require an actual cam shim. Toyota sells 20 different thicknesses of shim for my 3.3. Just to get to the point of measuring for what shim to install, there are 27 steps to work through. The most common way to get a lifter tick on the Highlander is merely by having the timing belt replaced. In my case, prior to my purchase it was on of my conditions of purchase. Didn't notice the tick for a few months. WBX and EJ lifter fix make this look like cake.

joetiger Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:16 am

AZ Landshaper wrote: Finally got sick of the subaru ticking sound and pulled my rockers to clean and drain the lifters. Submerged the lifter in clean oil. pressed the check valve in to allow drainage and refilling. This process is shown all over the web.

Just in time for a long drive manana.

That was actually a fun one to work through...What I've found is that lifter tick lets me know I need a half quart of oil. :)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621866&highlight=lifter++tick