TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did YOU do to your van today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 495, 496, 497, 498, 499, 500  Next
pbrown Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:12 pm

Yesterday -- I installed the freshly rebuilt front diff in the Syncro. This is a fun job when doing it alone with the van on jack stands. I had flashbacks of installing a 4-speed Muncie in an old Nova when I was 17.

I discovered that my mounting hardware was not in as good a shape as I had hoped. I ordered a new set from Burley. I hope they come soon.

Today -- Installed new Powerflex bushings in my newly powder coated front lower control arms. Also same in the radius rods.

I pulled the dash locker panel and drilled the other two holes and installed additional vacuum switches. I also installed the new Small Car locket indicator panel. It fit perfectly. This van will have three knobs.

Team WorldTour Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:18 am

I unplugged the ignition lock and wired in a toggle switch and a push button starter.

Steve Arndt Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:49 am

I adjusted the TPS on my new GW throttle body so it actually switches at idle properly. I also changed my transaxle fluid.

MsTaboo Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:27 pm

pbrown wrote: Yesterday -- I installed the freshly rebuilt front diff in the Syncro.
I pulled the dash locker panel and drilled the other two holes and installed additional vacuum switches. I also installed the new Small Car locket indicator panel. It fit perfectly. This van will have three knobs.
Hi pbrown,
Curious where your front locking diff came from and how much it cost.
I used to have a Syncro with a front locker and ever since I've wanted to add one to my Syncro Westy.
If you don't want to post in the open forum please PM me, thanks!

beach_creature Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Regreased upper control arm urethane bushings. They were getting squeaky.
I used Bushing Snot this time around. That stuff seems like itís gonna last. Super sticky stuff. I donít think it will wash out.

Iím going to have to go back and replace the bushings on one side. All the grease had washed out and had a fair amount of rust and deterioration of the urethane bushing. I had used the grease supplied with the bushings.

Iíll Be lathering it up with Bushing Snot next time.

16CVs Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:34 pm

Getting ready for a trip to Death Valley. Giving it a check over, checking the CVs and all the hose connections.
Found a missing bolt on the Clutch slave and a leaky valve cover gasket on the Subaru.
I like my cars to make it both ways on trips, especially when my other half is with me.

Stacy

Alaskaberrys Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:14 am

16CVs wrote: ...

I like my cars to make it both ways on trips, especially when my other half is with me.

Stacy

Wise words indeed!

I have to ask what your sissor lift is? That looks great for a res garage. Very interested.

Mark

16CVs Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:18 pm

Itís a Norco 8600 A or 86000. Easily movable and quick to use.

mtnride1 Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Installed the Westy Lounge kit on my back couch. Saw it on you tube.

Steve M. Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:22 pm

Alaskaberrys wrote: 16CVs wrote: ...

Stacy

Wise words indeed!

I have to ask what your sissor lift is? That looks great for a res garage. Very interested.

Mark

How safe is that? It looks very narrow for weight lifted?

pbrown Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:20 pm

I installed my Burley UCAs and temporarily installed the spindles just to see how things look.

I connected the locker panel vacuum lines to the switches. The vacuum lines for the new front locker were run.

The new stainless hardware for the front differential came so I got that bolted up tight.

This thing is coming together.

ndorian Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:45 am

Got round to installing Land Rover Defender side view mirrors. I got the brackets from Rowsley. I like them. A bit bouncy, true, but that isn't really a big deal. The difference between stock and these is night and day.

16CVs Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:32 am

Mark[/quote]

How safe is that? It looks very narrow for weight lifted?[/quote]

The lift is 6000k capacity, I was a little leary when I first put it up. I've run the van in the air and done work to it. While it seems a little shaky it supports the van without issue. Its full extension is 37" and I would not want to get it iup much higher than that.
I has 4 movable outrigger, but the van is the just the right size that it fits over the lift with 4x6's over the bed of unit.

Stacy

MsTaboo Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Steve M. wrote: Alaskaberrys wrote: 16CVs wrote: ...
I like my cars to make it both ways on trips, especially when my other half is with me.Stacy

Wise words indeed!
I have to ask what your sissor lift is? That looks great for a res garage. Very interested. Mark
How safe is that? It looks very narrow for weight lifted?
16CVs wrote:
The lift is 6000k capacity, I was a little leary when I first put it up. I've run the van in the air and done work to it. While it seems a little shaky it supports the van without issue. Its full extension is 37" and I would not want to get it iup much higher than that.
I has 4 movable outrigger, but the van is the just the right size that it fits over the lift with 4x6's over the bed of unit. Stacy

I would be more concerned about the strength of the garage floor.
While Stacy's seems to be holding, anyone considering this option need to think about the strength of the concrete under the lift. That's a lot of weight concentrated in a small area. I know I wouldn't trust my garage floor, it's only nine years old and already has cracks. I don't think the contractor packed the soil well enough or something. There are cracks running for five to eight feet in different directions. :cry:
It's a cool idea though, while not as good as a full lift it's better than a bunch of jack stands and has the advantage over a regular lift of being able to move it out of the way when not using.

[email protected] Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:25 pm

ndorian wrote: Got round to installing Land Rover Defender side view mirrors. I got the brackets from Rowsley. I like them. A bit bouncy, true, but that isn't really a big deal. The difference between stock and these is night and day.

Looks good are those the big ones?

Paulbeard Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:26 pm

Replaced the MC4 connectors by solar panel with SAE connectorsÖeasier to manage and designed to be dis/reconnected without tools. Not entirely satisfied with crimps. Joining AWG10 wire with 10/12 crimps is a pain. Are there crimps that accomodate both ends that are being joined, so they are in contact before crimping? If so, what do I look/ask for?

ndorian Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Thanks Ahmed yes they are the big ones.

Navy_Flyer Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Water was leaking in from the skylight -actually water was filling the shroud and would overflow or slosh in turns. Replaced the dome, seal and the flex arms a few years ago. So, at first thought was to replace the seal. BUT, it turns out that water was coming in thru the bolts that hold the lift bracket to the skylight. They sit directly over the shroud. Took it all apart, cleaned and resealed everything with new silicone. Reassembled all - No more leak!

cellerdoor Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Started replacing the chrome window gasket trim that's in each of the five main windows.

So far each window has taken me two hours each, and that's using the special tool.

3 to go....

ndorian Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Three posts in a row from VA. Cooel.