TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did YOU do to your van today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 496, 497, 498, 499, 500, 501  Next
4mymalamute Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Put some Truck mirrors on. I like the look....couldn't be happier. Now to sell my power mirrors.

elizer Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Looks great. I wanted to do this or the defender mirrors, but my power mirrors work great and work fine with my little blind spot mirrors. What do you plant to use the old mirror controls for. I was brainstorming things I could wire it to control.

4mymalamute Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:53 pm

elizer wrote: Looks great. I wanted to do this or the defender mirrors, but my power mirrors work great and work fine with my little blind spot mirrors. What do you plant to use the old mirror controls for. I was brainstorming things I could wire it to control.

Thanks. I am happy with them....my power mirrors worked fine as well BUT I just like the look these ones more. I am taking all the wiring etc out and selling them so I wont be using them. Thats a cool idea though to use the controller for something.

4mymalamute Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:27 pm

Hooked up the power window relocation kit from GoWesty.....pretty straight forward, few hours and now windows roll up and down without touching those darn connections.

dhaavers Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:14 pm

Today:
1) Finally installed "new" Mal*Wart group 41 battery (been on trickle charger since Christmas)...
2) Checked oil, primed oil & fuel pumps, started right up & officially took out of hibernation...
2) Warm up drive "around the block" (~10 miles county highways, some dirt)...
3) Back in garage, finally installed "quick connect" jumper cable harness under front PS seat...
4) Packed a cooler, drove couple hours up the shore (Lake Superior, FWIW), hiked a bit, saw a few waterfalls, etc...
5) Noticed the first few unmistakable squeaks/squawks of bad wheel bearing...
6) Stopped, jacked up wheel, verified bad wheel bearing, pulled the PS front grease cap...
7) Removed axle nut, cleared out all loose <former> bearing cage bits, balls, etc...
8 ) Packed bearing space with fresh grease & (lacking a new bearing) spare electric hookup wire & more grease...
9) (To contain grease) added plastic spacer (made from cap of grease tub) under thrust washer...
10) Reinstalled axle nut, drove home 3 hours at 35mph with nary a squeak or squawk from hacked wheel...
11) Pulled in the driveway only 2 hours later than expected, no additional complaints...

Tomorrow:
12) Pull PS front wheel/hub/rotor to inspect spindle & hope for no damage...
13) Shop for wheel bearings to install before next run up the shore... :roll: :evil: :wink:

8)

- Dave

fishgo Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:34 am

Got the 1983 AC out of hibernation yesterday. Dropped in the two batteries, unplugged the coil wire, ran the starter for 15 seconds to pump up some oil, plugged in the coil wire, and engine fired right up. A small puddle of oil slowly dripped out for a few minutes then slowed down (I think the oil cooler seals are getting old, oil is leading from this area a few drops a week).

Went for 130 mile drive to bring Spike back home out of the storage garage. Had beer.

To Do List for the next month:
1: Install new Westy seals on fiberglass top, polish fiberglass.
2: Install new Shurflo faucet and stove front.
3: Install new front wood-varnished headliner with new lighting (LED puck lights on dimmer above bucket seats, install new dome lights front center of headliner just behind rear view mirror).
4: Install refreshed LED puck lighting in spice tray and spots/nightlight in very back of Westy upper cabinet above bench bed.
5: Install new front bucket seat covers.
6: Flush and fill brake and tranny fluid.
7: Install new inside tailgate wood trim panel.
8: Install new Land Rover style rear view mirrors.
9: Consider upper and lower ball joints (check for play) and check front end bushings. Small amount of play and squeak up front and sometime this summer a fresh batch of tires and alignment will be coming.
10: Consider type and location of replacement camper fuse panel so I can redo all the back-house, house battery and kitchen wiring and fuse systems.

westydriver Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:21 pm

bled the brakes and clutch today with the motive pressure pump. What a delight!

jlrftype7 Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:48 am

dhaavers wrote: Today:
1) Finally installed "new" Mal*Wart group 41 battery (been on trickle charger since Christmas)...
2) Checked oil, primed oil & fuel pumps, started right up & officially took out of hibernation...
2) Warm up drive "around the block" (~10 miles county highways, some dirt)...
3) Back in garage, finally installed "quick connect" jumper cable harness under front PS seat...
4) Packed a cooler, drove couple hours up the shore (Lake Superior, FWIW), hiked a bit, saw a few waterfalls, etc...
5) Noticed the first few unmistakable squeaks/squawks of bad wheel bearing...
6) Stopped, jacked up wheel, verified bad wheel bearing, pulled the PS front grease cap...
7) Removed axle nut, cleared out all loose <former> bearing cage bits, balls, etc...
8 ) Packed bearing space with fresh grease & (lacking a new bearing) spare electric hookup wire & more grease...
9) (To contain grease) added plastic spacer (made from cap of grease tub) under thrust washer...
10) Reinstalled axle nut, drove home 3 hours at 35mph with nary a squeak or squawk from hacked wheel...
11) Pulled in the driveway only 2 hours later than expected, no additional complaints...

Tomorrow:
12) Pull PS front wheel/hub/rotor to inspect spindle & hope for no damage...
13) Shop for wheel bearings to install before next run up the shore... :roll: :evil: :wink:

8)

- Dave . When the going gets tough, the ‘Thoughtfully Prepared’ make it back home.... :wink:

dhaavers Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:49 pm

^^^ Yeah...and now I deal with the consequences: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716152

:oops: :roll: :wink:

- Dave

4mymalamute Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:28 am

replaced both front door lock actuators...had to cut old pigtail off original and then use female crimps to fit on the new aftermarket actuators. Works like a champ....cost for two actuators was 36.00 and then a couple bucks for the crimps and shrink wrap (to make sure they wouldnt ground out each other on the four connections). Easy.

andrewvwco Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:28 pm

2 layers or Rustoleum and a wash first. Replaced/fixed the o2 wire. scotch guard the top. Happy van.

dhaavers Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:36 pm

Looks great! I LOVE a nice clean white van...(gotta get one for myself someday...)

:oops: :lol: :wink:

- Dave

beach_creature Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:41 pm

Swapped out radiator fan and shroud today.
Upgrading from the 300w fan to the 450w fan.
Now just have to do the wiring.

davevickery Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:12 am

I made a small mod to my front fiberglass bumper while here exploring Moab trails. Not too bad and will give me something to fix when I get home.

And yesterday I put on a steering wheel wrap. I took a chance on a cheaper brand from ebay in the XL size and it fits very well. Probably took over an hour to stitch it on with the supplied needle and thread. They give you two needles and enough thread to do it twice which makes me suspicious.

fishgo Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:46 am

Was that sprayed or rolled (brushed) on?

andrewvwco Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks Dhaavers love the white color too. :D

FIshGo- It had a rhino liner spray done 3 or so years back so touching up the dings and spots that were bad. I did 2 layers of Rustoleum in the can very thick letting it sit 2 hours between coat's.

a2wolfsburggli Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:30 am

Finished up my tank reseal and replaced every fuel line on the '87 last night. Still need to connect up my overflow tanks this evening. Should be back on the road tonight. Will be nice to test out the Marco injectors I installed as well.

Paulbeard Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:10 pm

Drained and filled my rebuilt transaxle with FLAPS Finest 75-90 lube as a flush, to clear out any detritus from the rebuilder. The Redline MT90 from my shop is going to settle out. But since I only got 3 qts or so, I might not re-use it after all.

Obviously, it was the right call…I'll do it again at 500 miles and see what we see then. Managed not to eff up the fill plug. Not sure why VW's engineers had to put it behind the shift rod, rather than on the other side of the case.

ndorian Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:01 am

I didn't do the work but I helped with the cutting and prep. The mobile welder was very good and had a lot of auto experience. I am stoked!!

ndorian Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:06 am

Please excuse the two blurry pics.