TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: awning for my westy Page: Previous  1, 2
volksinthevalley Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:10 pm

MalibuLX3 wrote:

Volksinthevalley - I've seen pictures of the Transawn, thats what I'm looking for. The thing I'm worried about it the mounting brackets since I don't want to drill into my bus. Were you able to use a gutter mount type bracket or how did you mount it? Any pictures you have would be very helpful.

-Curtis

I found the gutter mount brackets, they have to be modified a little bit by cutting about 1/4" off so that the awning will slide in, but that was no real problem, they are aluminum after all. I'd get you a pic of mine but it's not mounted right now. Here's a pic from the gallery of the brackets I have on a vanagon. Only difference with a bay is you use the angled lower portion of the brackets which are included.

Can't seem to find them on the campingworld website right now, but I will track down my receipt when I get home and get a product number or something.

The only part I haven't been able to find is the lower body mount, so I have to use it with the poles on the ground, which is fine. Here's a pic of the lower mount.

If anybody knows where to find a pair of these be a pal and shoot me a PM.

obieoberstar Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:12 pm

I based the mounting of my Norseman Apollo awning on Kahlil's A&E Catalina(?) awning.

His was taller than mine but the bracket's base was what i needed.

Ordered a set of A&E replacement mouting brackets from Camping World for about a 100 bucks.

Each mounting bracket has a channel in it to accept the small round section seen on the top of the awning. fortunately i had partial brackets that had been mangled by the PO.

i basically had to make the brackets work with my taller awning. simply cut off the upper channel on the new brackets and bolted them to the remains of the old ones. you can see the old and new brackets in the picture. used bolts to join the two sections. will get them TIG welded together soon.

the foot of the upper bracket was not deep enough for the rain channel. used a piece of scrap aluminum from the brackets to put under the upper foot. works fine.

my awning also lacked the small attachment points on the bus. the legs of my awning each had the little swivel foot that pivoted on the square leg. separated the foot from the leg and bolted it to the bus with 2 self-tapping sheet metal screws. just attach the square leg to the brackets now with some simple pins from the hardware store.

also, you might want to replace the older rivets on that with some properly sized screws and nuts. had to fix a few joints on mine over the last year.

[/img]

obieoberstar Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:22 pm

here is what i was talking about with the lower bracket. you can see the pin with the safety pin clip on the rt side.

paid 75 for the awning and about 100 for the brackets.

did not seal the screws or base in the above picture. i live in the desert. you might want to use some silicone and under coating to keep the moisture out.