TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Smoke cleanup-off topic
chipmcluk Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:27 am

So I had somewhat of a grease fire in the kitchen today, scared the shit out of me. Got it out and everything cleaned up except the smoke buildup on the ceiling. Since it was vegetable oil which ignited, i figured engine degreaser would do the trick. It does. But the fumes are awful, especially to use excessively in the kitchen. Anyone know of anything else that would do the trick? Also, the Mrs. comes back into town Sunday night, and I want no evidence!

typesoneandtwo Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:52 am

Do not use oven cleaner!
I suppect you need to scrub and re-paint your ceiling. Try TSP for cleanup.(hardware store) and if it still looks yucky you will need a fresh coat of paint. Maybe there's an interior painter here with different advice. If iit's only a small area you may have decent results with a household cleaner containing bleach and/or grease cutting agents. Good luck!

spook Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:28 am

bakingsoda

KGCoupe Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:22 am

Try a cleaner called Simple Green - that stuff rarely is harmful to any surface, yet does a great job of cleaning.

pyrOman Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:31 am

KGCoupe wrote: Try a cleaner called Simple Green - that stuff rarely is harmful to any surface, yet does a great job of cleaning.

:shock:

The stuff should be used rather quickly as it will "clean" much more than you want if left to sit, specially on painted surfaces! :?

KGCoupe Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:38 am

pyrOman wrote: KGCoupe wrote: Try a cleaner called Simple Green - that stuff rarely is harmful to any surface, yet does a great job of cleaning.

:shock:

The stuff should be used rather quickly as it will "clean" much more than you want if left to sit, specially on painted surfaces! :?

Really?

I've never had a problem with it, and I've cleaned several engines with it.
I've even used it to clean body panels on a car that has sat outside for many years, and it shined them up nicely.
I should point out that I don't ever let it sit long though - just spray it on, add a little cold water to the surface, a quick scrub with the appropriate tool (depending on what I'm cleaning), and then rinse with cold water.

It makes sense that it can damage a surface if left on too long - I know it works great for cleaning off Audi and Porsche brake dust, and that shit is hard to get off.

typesoneandtwo Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:59 am

I always though Simple Green smelled like black licorice.

AuBenseiter Motor Sports Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:28 am

typesoneandtwo wrote: I always though Simple Green smelled like black licorice.

Thats Purple Power and Eagle1 Mag wheel cleaner

chipmcluk Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:25 am

A repaint isn't necessary, I know. I have tall ceilings throughout my house (no trailer, fuckers) and the flames never hit the ceiling, just some sooty shit. The engine degreaser worked well when I tested it in a spot, but its just too fucking caustic to use around food. It was a mad dash to the fire extinguisher, and this all happened within 35-45 seconds. KEEP A FIRE EXTINGUISHER IN THE KITCHEN!! Saved my ass.

mandysbus Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:56 am

try hand cleaner...the white gloppy petrol based kind....

69 Jim Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:12 am

typesoneandtwo wrote: I always though Simple Green smelled like black licorice.

It does to me also. That shit is an awesome engine cleaner. 8)

chipmcluk Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:49 am

mandysbus wrote: try hand cleaner...the white gloppy petrol based kind....
Thank you!
I tryed orange goop, its all I have in my house and it works very well! Still have alot to do though.

mandysbus Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:08 am

:D glad it worked...a friend of mine left a kerosene pot burner heater turned up too long and sooted his whole room.looked like someone sprayed flatblack paint over the whole room.

iowegian Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:18 am

69 Jim wrote: typesoneandtwo wrote: I always though Simple Green smelled like black licorice.

Oh, it's awesome alright.
I used it to remove greasy dirt around the engine louvers on my
O.G. Beetle and it took the paint right off! :cry:

KGCoupe Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:44 pm

iowegian wrote: 69 Jim wrote: typesoneandtwo wrote: I always though Simple Green smelled like black licorice.

Are you people that are removing paint with Simple Green using the original formula, or the Automotive version?

I've only used the original formula, and have not had any bad experiences with it.
I've never used the automotive formula, but suspect that it may be stronger.

You did read on the bottle that it should be diluted with water, right?

69 Jim Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:54 pm

KGCoupe wrote: iowegian wrote: 69 Jim wrote: typesoneandtwo wrote: I always though Simple Green smelled like black licorice.

Are you people that are removing paint with Simple Green using the original formula, or the Automotive version?

I've only used the original formula, and have not had any bad experiences with it.
I've never used the automotive formula, but suspect that it may be stronger.

You did read on the bottle that it should be diluted with water, right?

I spray it on in a fine mist of 100% solution. Then I rinse it off with clear water. It doesn't seem to harm rubber, decals or anything else under the hood. It sure does an awesome job. My cars look showroom underneath and under the hood. 8)