TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Early westy bay with dormy top
ukdj Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:13 pm

i found an early westy bay a while back it had the dormobile top on it but with a westy interior are there many of these around ?I just wondered as i might go get it.

autiger78 Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:05 pm

They aren't exactly rare, but you don't see that many of them...you're much more likely to find a the westy interior w/Dormie top than a Dormobile interior w/Dormie top, from what I can tell.

If you decide not to get it, PM me please...I need parts for my Dormie hack project...

82-T/A Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:28 pm

Do they call it that because many people "back in the day" couldn't afford the cost of housing at many colleges so they lived in their VW Bus? This seems to be a story I hear all too often. We had a 40th anniversary for one of my wife's older friends, and the theme was based all around my VW Bus (60s and all that other stuff). They the people at the party found out the Bus in the pictures all over the walls was mine, I had three seperate people come up to me with nearly identical stories about how they went to college while "living" in their Bus.

Kind of cool I suppose.

cc79westie Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:36 pm

I belive there's a lot of truth in those stories. Some people on this site are college students and some do their studying/sleeping in their bus. It can also give them a break from their roommate when needed.

autiger78 Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:43 pm

The Dormobile conversion originated in Britain, but I guess they have poor college students there too...

Still, my guess is they just thought it was a good name for a vehicle that slept 4-5 people...

TeamSpatula Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:54 am

Also a lot of times the Westy interior was a different setup than the one you usually see - definitely check it out and see which Westy interior it is...it may have the stove and full height cabinets...