TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Seat Belts - Rear Bench Seat Options
NOVA Bus Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:02 pm

All,

Conducted a hasty search for rear "shoulder" seat belt retrofits, came up empty. Can anyone provide some ideas or if there is a way to add a shoulder seat belt (3 point) system as used on front seats. Need to find a way to retrofit a childrens booster to the rear camper z-bench seat, only one side is needed, looking to mount on the sliding door side.

Many Thanks

davis911s Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:13 pm

GREAT post, I will need to do the same mod one day but will need to do both sides (and center too if posssible)

I will be watching this one

Shawn

Paslode235 Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:17 am

If I remember right there is a bolt hole under the grab handles in the back of my 1974 westy. They seem to be the same size as the bolt hole of the seat belts in the front. I would venture to guess that if you bought a 3 point seat belt you could bolt the top in to that hole and the bottom in to the lap belt hole. If you have a 76 or later westy were you have the short bed you may need to figure out someway to over come the cabinet on the drivers side.

82-T/A Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:21 am

Paslode235 wrote: If I remember right there is a bolt hole under the grab handles in the back of my 1974 westy. They seem to be the same size as the bolt hole of the seat belts in the front. I would venture to guess that if you bought a 3 point seat belt you could bolt the top in to that hole and the bottom in to the lap belt hole. If you have a 76 or later westy were you have the short bed you may need to figure out someway to over come the cabinet on the drivers side.

Yeah, I THINK that hole is for the latches that allow you to "snap" the rear seat in place on Busses that were equipped with the fold-down seat option.

But I'm not sure...

I don't think all Busses have that.

dtrumbo Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:34 am

Here's a thread that talks about it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=216492&highlight=belt

And another.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=262433&highlight=belt

They kinda ramble (don't most threads on here ramble?), but it gives a general idea of what you're up against.