TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Gubdonem Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

Theres a builder that made his own for a Baja Bug, look for him on Youtube as Doug Bug.

fastmc25 wrote: http://www.highangledriveline.com/sandrails.html

These are the axles I'll use on my next 930 axle conversion. :D

. if I recall they can reliably handle 30 degrees of angle... and have 930 flanges. They are pricey though
:shock:
They are like $600 each... but you'll never have a joint noise or failure... hopefully. ..

They are splined and will get longer/shorter with suspension travel...

KrisBalfe Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Gubdonem wrote: jokgel wrote: How much you have on your offroad- bay?

Take a picture in the same fashion . :lol:

Is that the T2 Synchro Bus?
It is certainly a T2 syncro bus.

Stuartzickefoose Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:03 pm

Skip back a few pages. He posted a link here to his build thread elesewhere. Very well done high quality build.

And it’s a TDI.

I will someday track him down, and buy this bus.

Someday.

Stuartzickefoose Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:19 am

Hmm I’m so tempted... (not)

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/1973-vw-bus-4x4-project/6749803645.html

TomWesty Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:40 am

Stuartzickefoose wrote: Hmm I’m so tempted... (not)

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/1973-vw-bus-4x4-project/6749803645.html The guy should be paying someone to haul it off.....

abdalh121 Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:36 am

Does anyone have some pictures on a lift spindle? I thought of sending a pair for modication.

What I understand is that you use 2 spindles to make one?

Stuartzickefoose Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:43 am

abdalh121 wrote: Does anyone have some pictures on a lift spindle? I thought of sending a pair for modication.

What I understand is that you use 2 spindles to make one?

You know you can buy a tested and proven set from wagenswest? The danger in one off, is if the spindle goes (welds break etc) you can do some serious damage to the bus when it falls on the wheel, not to mention the danger if speed is a factor. Empi lift spindles where know for being garbage that did that if i remember right.

Brian Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:21 pm

WW spindles are great.
Empi spindles are bad.

Lift spindles next to some Thing spindles

Me after empi shit spindles

Stuartzickefoose Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:53 pm

Hey brian, your pads are due for replacement.

Brian Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:03 pm

You only need to change the pads once the pistons are 75% worn down.

Stuartzickefoose Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:27 pm

Brian wrote: You only need to change the pads once the pistons are 75% worn down.

thought it was 50?

busdaddy Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:11 pm

Stuartzickefoose wrote: Brian wrote: You only need to change the pads once the pistons are 75% worn down.

thought it was 50?
I had a customer who thought it was until the piston went right through the rotor and jammed sideways in the inner cast fins of the vented rotor locking up the wheel. :shock:

"Was it making any noise when you stopped in the last few months?"--- "Yeah..., maybe a little" :roll: :?

VOLTWAGEN Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:18 am

Been wanting to put some new rims on my van for a while and increase the tyre size. Have just got my hands on some Merc 15x6.5's with a 37ET.

I am thinking of using a tyre with an approx dia of 29", can this fit on a stock Bay or do I need to use raised spindles on the front?

I do plan to use a modified 5 rib box that I recently picked up so that the revs will still be at a suitable level on the freeway. (close ratio 3rd & 4th)

R&P 4.57 (6rib) - currently has a 3 rib 5.38 in it, need to change it.
1st - 3.80
2nd - 2.06
3rd - 1.56
4th - 1.12

(3rd & 4th figures approx)

It should give me a cruising speed of 62 mph - 100 kmph at ~3700 rpm

It may be a little slow on take off though.

Picture for reference of current stance/look on standard rims.

Stuartzickefoose Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:09 am

Fronts will rub under full lock, and a tiny bit of rub at the back of the dogleg under compression (fast corners) or with a heavy loaded front seats (two passengers)

VOLTWAGEN Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:08 am

Stuartzickefoose wrote: Fronts will rub under full lock, and a tiny bit of rub at the back of the dogleg under compression (fast corners) or with a heavy loaded front seats (two passengers)

Would that be due to the ET or the tyre size?

Picked them up today, 4x ET 37, I got given 1x ET 49 as a spare, no idea if it will fit but will keep an eye out for some more ET37’s to use as a spare.

notchboy Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:12 am

VOLTWAGEN wrote: Stuartzickefoose wrote: Fronts will rub under full lock, and a tiny bit of rub at the back of the dogleg under compression (fast corners) or with a heavy loaded front seats (two passengers)

Picked them up today, 4x ET 37, I got given 1x ET 49 as a spare, no idea if it will fit but will keep an eye out for some more ET37’s to use as a spare.

Nice choice. Thats what I have. Id say the rub is due to the tire size. If Id of looked harder for a 195 instead of a 215 Im sure Id have no rub at a stack height.

Your rims will need some work to fit right. The centers need to be cut and the lug holes need to be opened up a bit.

Center opened to 66.5 mm. Lug holes opened to take the 19mm hex head lug nut on stock Bay 14x1.5 studs. Before opening up lug holes - rim set up for 17mm lugs with 12x1.5 studs.

VOLTWAGEN Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:22 pm

notchboy wrote: VOLTWAGEN wrote: Stuartzickefoose wrote: Fronts will rub under full lock, and a tiny bit of rub at the back of the dogleg under compression (fast corners) or with a heavy loaded front seats (two passengers)

Nice choice. Thats what I have. Id say the rub is due to the tire size. If Id of looked harder for a 195 instead of a 215 Im sure Id have no rub at a stack height.

Your rims will need some work to fit right. The centers need to be cut and the lug holes need to be opened up a bit.

Center opened to 66.5 mm. Lug holes opened to take the 19mm hex head lug nut on stock Bay 14x1.5 studs. Before opening up lug holes - rim set up for 17mm lugs with 12x1.5 studs.

Cheers for the info, they have already been on a dub so the work has already been done, they currently have 205/75’s on them but in a poor condition so they will be getting replaced, while they are off I will get the rims blasted and powder coated.

You van looks good on them, nice to see my research was right re the ET

inhabor Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:08 pm

My new addition Ostrich wing 6

guystclair Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:00 pm

This is my beast, stock height running General 27x8.50x14 Grabber AT2's.
The speedometer is 10 mph off, when I'm doing 55 mph the speedometer is at 65mph.

jmstu76 Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:23 pm

VOLTWAGEN wrote: Stuartzickefoose wrote: Fronts will rub under full lock, and a tiny bit of rub at the back of the dogleg under compression (fast corners) or with a heavy loaded front seats (two passengers)

What vehicles are those wheels found on in the US?