View original topic: Fire Fox browser on steriods Page: 1, 2  Next
stault Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:32 am

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/553100/boost_firefox_speed/

Glenn Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:38 am

Interesting. :-k

MrBreeze Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:41 am

I'll be damned, it works.

russwiththebus Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:03 am

I didn't watch the video, but I bet I can guess...is it turning on HTTP pipelining? If so it does work as long as the server you are downloading from supports it, but most if not all do now with HTTP 1.1.

Opera has HTTP pipelining turned on by default.

Gary Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:18 am

I doubt that works for those of us relegated to dial-up hell.

EverettB Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:00 am

I've had that for a long time.

There is more you can do too, do a Google search...

Here's a ton of stuff
http://codebetter.com/blogs/darrell.norton/archive/2005/01/28/48720.aspx

Some I liked, some I didn't.

piemat Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:33 am

I'll be damned too.

Can someone explain how it works?

Dolamite02 Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:49 am

I tried to apply the "Fast computer, fast connection" configurations, but I don't appear to have the majority of the configuration options. For instance, i have nothing that begins with, "content." Any ideas why that'd be?

Dolamite02 Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:51 am

piemat wrote: I'll be damned too.

Can someone explain how it works?

This is from the comments section of the page Everett linked to:

Josh wrote:
Pipelining Tweaks
These usually take the form of telling you to adjust settings in the "network.http.pipelining..." tree. These are quite safe, but may cause problems with older web servers which do not understand pipelining properly. Pipelining works by sending requests simultaneously over a single connection - this avoids the delay incurred by the latency between you and the server. Traditionally, HTTP clients go:

REQUEST ->
<- RESPONSE
REQUEST ->
<- RESPONSE

Pipelining changes this to:

REQUEST REQUEST ->
<- RESPONSE RESPONSE

This is a good optimization/tweak to apply as it increases speed for both you and the web server.

I'm definitely impressed with the speed up.

notchback Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:34 pm

Mine was already set like that and I didn't do it. :?

LadyVW Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:45 pm

wowie! I need a cup o' coffee to keep up now.

EverettB Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:54 pm

Dolamite02 wrote: I tried to apply the "Fast computer, fast connection" configurations, but I don't appear to have the majority of the configuration options. For instance, i have nothing that begins with, "content." Any ideas why that'd be?
If they are not there you have add them as new configuration settings.

I added a bunch but basically backed off most of them and stuck with the pipelining ones only. Some of the additional ones affected the way I use the tabs in ways that did not work well for how I use Firefox.

HERBIEMANIA Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:28 am

I made the changes but notice zero difference. I'm on high speed net already so I don't know if that's why.

The Sage Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:06 am

I just did the pipeline mods, and my computer burst into flames, and burned down my family room.

My computer is running faster than my brain now.

Dolamite02 Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:17 am

Does pipelining slow you down if you have multiple tabs open to the same website for downloading? I seem to be running into that.

HERC Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:05 pm

It'll do nothing for your download speed, so it's fairly worthless..

EverettB Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Dolamite02 wrote: Does pipelining slow you down if you have multiple tabs open to the same website for downloading? I seem to be running into that.
If the download is using your entire connection, that will slow anything else down.

Nater Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:03 pm

lostorbit wrote: I didn't watch the video, but I bet I can guess...is it turning on HTTP pipelining? If so it does work as long as the server you are downloading from supports it, but most if not all do now with HTTP 1.1.

Opera has HTTP pipelining turned on by default.

I agree that Opera is much faster than Firefox, but some photo attachments aren't supported in emails sent.

I'm sure Opera will just get better.

Lee. Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:33 pm

Thanks for the tip. It works great.

21-window Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:39 pm

I give up. how do you get the "Filter" box to appear?