TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bug Safari Windshield Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
OvalTeenAZ Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:11 pm

where can i get one are they reopo OG or home made i have a 59 bug

Ghoti Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:20 pm

Wow. Never seen on of those! I'd like one!

fluxcap Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:38 pm

You just got busted as someone who did not use the search feature.
I'll help you out though. There are a ton of threads already on this topic. Most start out with someone asking where to get a safari windshield, then that is followed with a bunch of "yeah where can i get one too". Then someone will say that some shop on venus made them 5-7 years ago, but not anymore, so you'll have to make your own. However, this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246847 produces some hope. Apparently Wolfgang was making some, but nothing more has been heard about their progress. Give them a call and let us know what they say :)

Euro 67 Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:32 pm

wow, Twelth topic on safari wind screen in 2 months, amazing,

I have a piece O' info in my sig line :wink: :roll:

OvalTeenAZ Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:34 pm

ha thanks guys some one should stickie this but then every bug on earth would have a safari window

draginwagen Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:48 am

I talked to Wolfgang in December and they said that they are in the finishing steps of the front safaris. :D

littlebuggie Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:12 am

Line Starts here:
How much you willing to pay? I just started making them...
Pictures of it installed in my bug soon...

67jason Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:54 am

Old Light wrote: Line Starts here:
How much you willing to pay? I just started making them...
Pictures of it installed in my bug soon...

how much am i willing to pay you ask...how's about 10 bucks, sound fair?! :roll:

set a price, the will either sell at that price or they wont. evulate your price based on your costs of production and how well (or poorly) your units sell and whatever amount of profit you feel is reasonable per unit.

also, will your safari's fit big window cars and small window cars?

ConcreteAce Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:41 pm

im in the process of makeing aa front safari for my bug. I used two late model popouts, i cleaned them of all the old rubber and then cooked them in my oven at 500 for about 30 min than my wife and i formed it around the windsheild. looks bad as* . if you figure in the cost of the windsheild ($79) used pop-outs ($50) front latches ($80) sliders ($30)
Seals ($30) hardware and hinges ($120). (total of about 400)
It all adds up after some time. Their was a rumor that someware in the UK they had a kit that sold for around 650 and everyone said that was way to high but after building one i can see why. i have yet to finish mine still broke from christmas :D
sorry not a good pic

schlanks70vdub Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:01 pm

Actually my friend is in the final stages of finishing his front safari's up as well.. He should have his finished for this years events... He also used pop out frames but he slowly hand bent them around the glass.. still looks killer!! good luck to all that try lol... it takes a heluva lot of time.

ConcreteAce Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:05 pm

schlanks70vdub wrote: Actually my friend is in the final stages of finishing his front safari's up as well.. He should have his finished for this years events... He also used pop out frames but he slowly hand bent them around the glass.. still looks killer!! good luck to all that try lol... it takes a heluva lot of time.

i tried that the first time it was just much easier to heat it up to bend it around didnt have to force it at all only took me about one and a half hour to build the frame.

schlanks70vdub Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:08 pm

how did you finish off the gaps? did you braze it or just bolt it together, and did you cut into the top of your headliner frame or do the hinge a different way..

ConcreteAce Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:18 pm

schlanks70vdub wrote: how did you finish off the gaps? did you braze it or just bolt it together, and did you cut into the top of your headliner frame or do the hinge a different way..

bolted together using three factory hinges along the top is how I am doing it that way all i have to do is drill 15 holes in my window lip just like the 1/4 window popouts. if your cuts are good and flush the frame will come together just like the factory seam. you also have to notch the lip on each side for the sliders

jmsmilin Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:53 pm

wish they had em for 67s

OvalTeenAZ Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:57 pm

ethandunlap
did you only need 2 popouts? i know i will have to cut them down
can you post or pm me pics of what you had to buy and where you got it?

thanks

ConcreteAce Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:07 pm

hoodrode66 wrote: ethandunlap
did you only need 2 popouts? i know i will have to cut them down
can you post or pm me pics of what you had to buy and where you got it?

thanks

yea just two pop-out will do cut off both 90 degree corners i cut min at 54 inches and used a sharpie to mark a center line on the winsheild when i formed each side i started about an inch past the center line once both halves are formed then make your final cuts so that they sit flush to each other you dont want any gap what so ever. the sliders and latches are the same that are used on bus safaries minus the center mount( not needed of course) hope this helps

jmsmilin Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:02 pm

ethandunlap wrote: im in the process of makeing aa front safari for my bug. I used two late model popouts, i cleaned them of all the old rubber and then cooked them in my oven at 500 for about 30 min than my wife and i formed it around the windsheild. looks bad as* . if you figure in the cost of the windsheild ($79) used pop-outs ($50) front latches ($80) sliders ($30)
Seals ($30) hardware and hinges ($120). (total of about 400)
It all adds up after some time. Their was a rumor that someware in the UK they had a kit that sold for around 650 and everyone said that was way to high but after building one i can see why. i have yet to finish mine still broke from christmas :D
sorry not a good pic

whered you get all the stuff, is it on a 65+ or earlier? what "front latches"?

The Cheetle Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:15 pm

Now look what you started it!! :shock: You should go into business making these!! I know I want one!!

Larry

flat 57 Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:39 am

hallo,

i am traying to make a safari window for my '65 bug
bud i am using a u shape aluminium profile and bend it like the glass
it is taking good chape
just the sliders i have to make and fit and mounting the latches
i will take some pictures and post them
i never seen any bugs in belgium whit a safari windshield so i whant to make my own

grtz g

kalisparky Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:29 am

I spoke with them about 6 months ago and they said they were in fact working on a kit for type 1, however, yes it sucks a bit. He was only doing them at this point for pre-66 (flat windshield and smaller size), this sucks for me as I have a 66 and think I am going to have to fab my own.

Wolfgang didn't say when they would be available, but simply said to keep checking back.

give them a call and see if can be a test subject.

kalisparky