TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1973 VW Thing "Face Lift" Many pictures! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
man130 Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm trying to check out your RED SHOCKS,cause I know you had some nice silver FOX shocks till I seen your nice x-mas SOCKS..SOCKS not shocks ,Then it all came clear ,they look real cute. But the car looks awsome

Michael B Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:13 pm

man130 wrote: I'm trying to check out your RED SHOCKS,cause I know you had some nice silver FOX shocks till I seen your nice x-mas SOCKS..SOCKS not shocks ,Then it all came clear ,they look real cute. But the car looks awsome

Thanks for pointing it out. :oops:

Michael B Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:08 am

Just a little video of Christmas day.

I will post some pictures of how dirty the Thing got later.

saddlesore1 Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:13 pm

That must have been you I saw on Tuesday afternoon when we rolled in. Driving on the main road across from the blue inn? It looked good through all the dust (Lots of Dust).

drake1978 Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:05 am

I have to say 1st I love the fact that you got your son involved as much as possible. This is a build he will remember his whole life(Amazing build and pictorial as well). I was thinking damn those 6x9's has some amazing low end extension then I saw that little box in the back. Is that a old school Kicker Bass Tube? Those things rocked back in the day.

BNMike Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:09 am

This thread is Great :D

I just got a '73, and your photos will be really useful in fixing it up.

Thanks.

BNMike

Michael B Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:38 am

saddlesore1 wrote: That must have been you I saw on Tuesday afternoon when we rolled in. Driving on the main road across from the blue inn? It looked good through all the dust (Lots of Dust).

Stopped by the Blu-inn a few times for a fill up. Burned through $100.00 of gas in the Thing over 9 days...

drake1978 wrote: I have to say 1st I love the fact that you got your son involved as much as possible. This is a build he will remember his whole life(Amazing build and pictorial as well). I was thinking damn those 6x9's has some amazing low end extension then I saw that little box in the back. Is that a old school Kicker Bass Tube? Those things rocked back in the day.

I sure hope he remembers, as some day that will be his 1973 VW Thing.

Taking pictures is a joy, and there is soooooo many angles. I've taken over 3000 pictures of the Thing alone. Sometimes it takes 6 or 7 pictures just to get the right shot (lighting, angle, focus) well you know...

It's a Pioneer 8" bass tube powered by the same amp under the hood. It sounds good for bass fill but would be nice to have a little more punch.

BNMike wrote: This thread is Great :D

I just got a '73, and your photos will be really useful in fixing it up.

Thanks.

BNMike

Glad that this information will live on. In hindsight, I should have written a book and made some $$ to allow other projects.

If I could only find a job doing what I love and get paid for it. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just some of the pictures of the New Years trip to Ocotillo Wells, CA

Nice Dirty engine...

Taking a brake in one of the VERY DUSTY washes...

Another view, and see the tree roots...

And one more without the beer can... Proof that my Thing is having fun! Does yours??

Just more dirty pictures...

The Thing taking the lead on route to the Salton Sea

Regards,
Michael

wardvwracer Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:44 pm

Very cool! Love the video and the desert shots! I've followed your story and build up posts with a ton of interest. Now I'm more interested than ever!

I have a Weekend Warrior 3405 toy hauler and it looks nearly identical to the trailer in the video. The decals are slightly different, but the trailer itself looks identical. I can haul my Ghia to the drag strip, and was planning to haul my '73 Thing when we go camping too. Your wider fenders and wheels are probably tight in there, but hey, you obviously got it loaded up and out there. Very cool! 8) :lol:

A little off topic, but what do you use to pull it? The half-ton short bed didn't look like it was its mate. I pull mine with a Dodge Ram 3500. When I have our trailer fully loaded up with the car its pushing 19,000-20,000 lbs.

Anyway, awesome set up. Very nice to see the car completed and being used. And I loved to see your son all fired up to go for the ride. That was cool!!! I look very forward to taking my wife and 13 year old out in mine someday.

Michael B Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:05 am

wardvwracer wrote:

A little off topic, but what do you use to pull it? The half-ton short bed didn't look like it was its mate. I pull mine with a Dodge Ram 3500. When I have our trailer fully loaded up with the car its pushing 19,000-20,000 lbs.

Our trailer is the LE3305 and I pull it with the other truck in the picture (2005 GMC Sierra - 4x4 - Diesel ). When fully loaded with everything, the truck and trailer weigh in at 22K lbs. This is the BEST truck I have ever owned, and it pulls this trailer when fully loaded very well. Once you pull a trailer with a diesel, there’s no going back to a gasser!

Now that would be something neat; a nice little diesel engine in our Thing, although it would have to be a VW diesel engine 8)

comite27 Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:19 am

I like your front seats. what is the model number? did you make the brackets yourself, or did you get them from PRP?

Nice job overall

Michael B Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:20 am

Just hit 3,000 mile yesterday and my '73 Thing is holding up very well :D

Well, except for the transmission that's still making all that noise :evil:

Doesn't look like I'll be taking it back to KCR Transmissions for a forth try :!:

junioroppenbaum Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:56 pm

This whole process is amazing. I found this thread looking for information on how to take the body off. With your excellent pictorial did you happen to make record of the steps in removing the body? I would appritiate any help. I would like to start my '74 soon.

Michael B Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:58 am

junioroppenbaum wrote: This whole process is amazing. I found this thread looking for information on how to take the body off. With your excellent pictorial did you happen to make record of the steps in removing the body? I would appritiate any help. I would like to start my '74 soon.

Sorry, I didn't think about posting this information on a Forum when I started this project, so I didn't take any pictures or show a process doing such.

comite27 wrote: I like your front seats. what is the model number? did you make the brackets yourself, or did you get them from PRP?

Nice job overall

Not sure of the part number on the seats. I used the old seat brackets and welded angle iron to them to accommodate the PRP seats. If you look over the pictures you will see what I’m talking about.

saddlesore1 Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:10 am

now that you have enjoyed this for, I think, 2 seasons now, are you happy with no heater in it. Do you ever wish you had put the gas one back in.

Ratt Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:23 pm

WOW Many great Ideas... Now I just need Santa-Wife to bring me a welder for festivus...

Great job documenting the build, I cant belive I hadnt seen this before. Ive got motivation to start on my spare pan now.\

Michael B Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:02 am

saddlesore1 wrote: now that you have enjoyed this for, I think, 2 seasons now, are you happy with no heater in it. Do you ever wish you had put the gas one back in.

Been very happy with not having the gas heater because I never knew what it was like to have one.

The CA deserts are cold but not like living in the real COLD areas of the USA. I've been enjoying the CA deserts for 35 years and have learned how to dress for the weather :wink:

I think the VW Thing provides enough shelter from the wind to keep the wind chill to a min.

Semper_Dad Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:07 am

"Cold and dry" is a whole lot better than dealing with "cold and wet". Easier to keep the windshield clear.

Michael B Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:16 am

Semper_Dad wrote: "Cold and dry" is a whole lot better than dealing with "cold and wet". Easier to keep the windshield clear.

VERY TRUE!

socal66 Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Mike I had a great time reading your build, thankyou for taking the time to take all the photos and upload them. I was motivated to work on my car and learned many new tips.

thanks.............. :lol:

lee73 Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:35 pm

tag for later