TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Seat frame color?
fanbelt Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:12 am

Anyone know or have a color code for 57 seat frames? Looks like its a off white color. Super dirty and faded so kind of hard to tell.
Thanks

djkeev Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:27 am

Hi,

I'm not saying this guy knows it all but he's done a nice job with good documentation with much attention to detail.
Take a look and go from there.

http://www.thebugshop.org/bsp57_15.htm

Dave

(site sometimes doesn't work but come back later and it does ?!?!?)

icemanhd Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:32 am

Should be the L75 Beige, wolfsburgwest sells it but there is a Krylon rattle can color (Almond) that is real close you can get at Wal Mart or wherever. I just repainted my steering column, column bracket, and turn signal lever housing in the Krylon almond and it looks much better since the PO had painted them RED.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=PAINTL75

johnshenry Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:41 am

Thanks for the kind words djkeev, but since I wrote that article, I have learned that the L75 may not be correct. It is very close however.

Rustoleum "Almond" is a dead on for the ivory color, but that paint (and the WW rattelcan Lacquers) are not all that durable. A single stage urethane would be much better for things like seat frames.

icemanhd Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:47 am

After painting my column, bracket, and turn signal housing with a rattle can I ended up taking my seat frames to a local metal fab/powdercoating place. One of the seat lock handles had broken off the seat and needed to be welded anyway so I stopped by for a quote on the welding and powdercoating. It was more and less than I expected...

I had already ground the shaft flat on the handle where it butts up to the locking plate and indexed it by cutting a groove in the center to help hold the handle against the lock plate when they welded it so the clocking would be correct. Anyway, they quoted $30 to weld the handle (which sounded a little high) but only $40 each to blast and powdercoat my seat frames. They had a stocked almond color that matched up to the rattle can nicely and I thought $80 for both seats was more than fair.

Consider getting them powdercoated!