TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Velvet Green thread Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Kevin Bower Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:36 pm

There are three colour variants of velvet green apparantly, here is a picture of our bus, Velvet green and shade differences depending on paint supplier.

Mr. Electric Wizard Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:07 pm

My velvet.
Drivers door is OG, as well as some of the front.

ricekooker Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:00 pm

My old Velvet...

BarryL Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:43 am

I have original paint chips by DuPont and PPG from the 60's. Does anyone want to see them or does it make no nevermind from lighting to camera to monitor.

Vintagespeed Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:37 pm

sure, try!

BarryL Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:58 am

Vintagespeed wrote: sure, try!

1965 Velvet chips from DuPont (color 512 Dulux)

1965 Velvet chip from PPG (color 512 Ditzler)

The sun was shining with no clouds but pictures were taken in the shade.

"Colours seen by candle-light
Will not look the same by day."
Elizabeth Barrett Browning 1850

jmsmilin Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Riff Raff wrote: My 65 parts bus.
Velvet Green and Blue White is certainly my favorite late bus colour combo.

parts bus...get that on the road man it looks solid.

Vintagespeed Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:29 pm

for sale at K&K! oooh :shock:

very nice velvet tint on this one!! (looks a bit like mikenkimmys)

jeffff Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:27 pm

Vintagespeed wrote:

What are these wheels called? Same ones on Mike and Kimmies right?

Thanks

Vintagespeed Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:14 pm

jep, they're Empi Sprintstars, of Flat4 sprintstars. Nice wheels for sure.

cris torlasco Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:36 am

The two Velvet Green Westys that I've owned so far:

Cris

Kevin T Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:12 am

Mandatory stop at Sandy Beach to wash off the airport stink when picking up visitors.

[/img]

VWAdam Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:49 pm

Kevin T wrote: Mandatory stop at Sandy Beach to wash off the airport stink when picking up visitors.

I just have to say, that is a sweet Bus!
Velvet Green is one of my favorite Bus colors, second only to the Sand Green/Palm Green of the '50's Standards.

vwclap Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:19 pm

Here mine. An old project started by previous owner 20 years ago and that ended in a barn. I bought it 5 years ago with a 68 ghia and it is still waiting in the garage.
Velvet green and pearl white delivered in 66 in Quebec Canada...

Will finish it some day!

Claude

tev Mon May 19, 2008 12:02 pm

Kevin Bower mentioned different shades from different suppliers. Can anyone give me some advice on the supplier with the darkest shade? I've read a lot of posts and I know the mix, age, and conditions will affect the color, but I'd really like to start out with a darker velvet green in single stage PPG Concept or similar grade in another brand.

One other thing -- sorry to hijack, but I've got to repaint my 63 due to a rear corner repair and surface rust. Its OG pearl white now, but I can't save the paint and I really like velvet green. I'm fixing a lot of the PO's alterations so there's no concern with keeping this bus close to stock. I know velvet green is an off-year color, but does that really matter when your dealing with non-stock bus anyway? And to all those who say paint it whatever you like -- that's just what I'm thinking about doing -- I'd just like some thoughts from the velvet green set. Thanks in advance.

kombisutra Mon May 19, 2008 10:06 pm

Nice Westy Cris, I love that sexy nose-in-the-garage shot.

Here's the 2008 Shasta Snow Trip Airport Bus. While awesome Team Stockton (Damon/Keven 58' DD Panel) look on during a crucial emergency pit stop at Christopher Moore's in Willits Ca, I'm pop-riveting-in a replacement heater pipe. The original one completely fell off in the early AM hours descending the gnarly snowed-in road into the Staging Area. This Velvet Green bus had NEVER driven in 20 years (zero test drive at all) until I drove it out of my parking lot directly to the SST staging area 12 hours before... that WAS the test drive. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: All my brake work, engine work, electrical etc, thankfully proved effective... and no JB Weld needed :lol: Velvet Green got us there!

resto73 Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:13 am

ricekooker wrote: My old Velvet...

your old velvet is my new velvet 8)
lots of changes in the near future
will post pics once it starts to happen
paul

DeadEndVW Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:26 am

resto73 Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:23 pm

this thread needs more rides!
heres mine after some well needed paint blending

and 2 for the price of 1

paul 8)